ATSDR Launches Health Survey of Marine Corps Personnel

ATLANTA, June 22, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) begins this week a health survey regarding diseases that may be associated with chemical exposures related to water at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

The survey is to go to more than 300,000 people who lived or worked at Camp Lejeune or Camp Pendleton in California before 1986. Camp Pendleton was chosen for comparison purposes.

The survey will ask people about where they lived and worked at the bases and about their health history. Everyone who receives the survey will have detailed instructions on how to fill it out.

“We hope everyone who receives a survey will complete it. High levels of response will lead to the most accurate findings,” said Christopher J. Portier, Ph.D., director of ATSDR and the National Center for Environmental Health at ATSDR’s sister agency – the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “The survey aims to provide scientifically useful health information about exposure to contaminants.”

The ATSDR action responds to a congressional mandate that called for ATSDR to develop a health survey that may lead to scientifically useful health information associated with a person’s potential exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. To gather the most useful and comprehensive health information – and provide context for the results, ATSDR is also asking former residents of Camp Pendleton to complete the survey.

The survey’s results will provide the federal government with information that could guide its next steps in serving Marines, civilian workers, and their families.

The ATSDR Health Survey of Marine Corps Personnel and Civilians is the largest health survey ATSDR has ever conducted.

Eligible participants from Camp Lejeune include selected military personnel, civilians, and family members who were there before 1986. Surveys will also be mailed to those registered with the Marine Corps by June 15, 2011. Also included are former active duty Marines and sailors, and civilian employees who lived or worked at Camp Pendleton before 1986. The survey and instructions for completing and returning it will be mailed to eligible participants during the summer and fall. A Web-based version will be available for those who prefer to answer online.

The survey will be disseminated in five waves, beginning June 23, with some 26,000 receiving mail notification. The next group of nearly 80,000 individuals will be notified in mid-July. Portier said this process will continue until each person who was identified has received formal notification of the survey and instructions on completion. Completed surveys are due by Dec. 16.

ATSDR hopes that family members and doctors of people who receive surveys will help make sure the surveys are returned. “Health care providers can play an important role in the success of this project by encouraging patients who receive a health survey for Camp Lejeune or Camp Pendleton to complete it,” Portier said.

Dissemination of Findings
ATSDR expects to release findings in early 2014. Each survey participant will receive a summary of the final report. The survey findings also will be published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal and on the Internet. The data released will be in summary format only and will not identify any individuals.

Editor’s Note: The Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry, ATSDR, is a federal public health agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is commonly referred to as CDC’s sister agency.

Its mission is to prevent harmful exposures and diseases related to toxic substances.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

SOURCE Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry

45 Responses to “ATSDR Launches Health Survey of Marine Corps Personnel”

1. franknieto June 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I have tried to answer the questionaire online, but the link comes up with an error of page not found. this is the link I am using:

as was printed in the information that was sent to me.

2. Mark Mclendon July 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

The web site came up but there was no survey page.
    Can you give me the correct web site to take the survey on line

3. tunica301 July 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

site dont work to do survey online.anybpdy gpt any answers to this?

4. Patricia Ruth Whaley July 14, 2011 at 8:55 am #

I have tried to fill out survey online? Can’t
    Please contact me.

5. Donnie La Curan July 14, 2011 at 8:58 am #

This link works:

It requires a PIN which I assume was mailed out to those who are allowed to take the survey. That page has a contact number if you have questions.

If you have questions or need assistance please contact Westat:
    Toll-free: 1-888-252-7048

6. Toxic Survey Fail July 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

I’m willing to take the survey, but I’m kind of bothered how incomplete the mailing was. I received a letter which seemed to indicate the survey would be enclosed. There was no phone number to call for additional help. I hope this was *not* something my tax dollars paid for. I ended up calling the CDC, who said the survey was mailed out in early June – I just received the letter toady, have seen no survey. ~TSF

7. Toxic Survey Fail July 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

Ok, I’m guessing the PIN is the 9-digit number top of the letter……here goes!….

8. Toxic Survey Fail July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

Okay – that was not the PIN.

9. Mark Guice August 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

I can’t locate the actual survey http://www.atsdrhealthsurvey.org

10. Rachel Hernandez August 2, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

I was doing the survey on line but everytime I would go back it would error out.

11. Praisinggod August 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Like most goverment run programs, it’s screwed up

12. KimBarone August 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I received the letter today stating the survey is on it’s way…

13. big D August 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

I can’t find the website to take the survey

14. seib5637 August 26, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

Online Survey will not come up on page on website.

15. Avery I McCabe September 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

no survey ever came

16. anselmo roque September 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I did not receive survey questions

17. 2dengr September 11, 2011 at 6:39 am #

page comes uo no place to enter pin

18. Constantine Grudesen September 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

Did not get through. on line to do the survey.

19. CWO3Rose October 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

The survey works now on-line at http://www.atsdrhealthsurvey.org. I received my PIN in the mail today with a paper copy of the survey. It took me about 20 minutes to complete.
    Semper Fi

20. Constantine Grudesen October 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

MY SON ERNEST S. GRUDESEN WAS A NAVY MEDIC FOR THE MARIEN CORP. AT CAMP LEJEUNE OR CAMP PENDLETON.HE LVED THE SERVICE AND WAS IN GOOD HEALTH. HE WAS THE ONLY MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY TO BE AT THOSE CAMPS. HE CAN,T DO THIS SURVEY. HE PASSED AWAY, 1993, COPLICATIONS OF GUN SHOT WOUNDS. YOURS TRULY CONSTANTINE GRUDESEN.

21. gridcowboy October 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

Too sick & too tired to fill out anymore forms so Congress can survey, research, survey, & research ad nauseum. They only need drag their feet 15-20 more on this & most will be dead & gone. I served Faithfully & Honestly, & because we were technically not “at war” during my service to America, VA says sorry. I know of Seabees who never left their home state & receive better VA benefits. To hell with the US government! I served, & would serve again, for the people & to serve alongside my Marine Corps brothers. Semper fi.
    David Logan, Corporal USMC 1977-1983

22. matt November 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

The survey is on this site. Been on hold and called other departments tring to get help doing this survey. I am a disabled veteran that was station at both Camp Lejeune and Camp Pendleton during the times of the contaminat3ed water. Unfortunately, I have suffered nerve damage to my hands and arms and don’t write very good and so I have spent the past three working days string to access the survey. Please add my name to the list. I am now going to hang up and leave another message. Don’t have all day to set an listen to your hold music.

23. topmac November 3, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Just completed a ATSDRHealth survey with I missed marked a comment and can not get back into the survey. It is critical how would I contact someone.

24. ricky mcneal November 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

we send in the survey two month ago.

25. ricky mcneal November 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

we send in the survey two monthy ago

26. nila michael 10 November 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

I got my survey.I`ll probobly just` make copy`s for my personal file`s and mail it out.I cant say much else but that I feel the resentment that everybody else does.We must stay strong and be persistant. May God Bless you all.N.M10

27. nila michael 10 November 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

I got my survey the other day.I`ll probobly just make copies for my prsonal information and mail it off.This has been going on for some time now.I feel the resentment that alot of people out there do.Be persistant and dont give up!It`s not over yet.May God Bless you all! We must stay in prayer! There is alot of power in prayer!NM10

28. STINKY November 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

If all the booze and drugs hasn’t killed me yet, what’s wrong w/ a little contaminated water? Ya’ll need to think about the expecting moms’, infants, and young kids at Lejeunes’ hospital, schools, and housing. Developing nervous systems, brains and vital organs, that’s the real issue. Proud and honored to have served.

29. nelsongordon26 November 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

I Went to ITR at stonebay in 1966.and Marine Corps Engineer School at Court House Bay Sept-Dec 1966.

30. nelsongordon26 November 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

I was stationed at Camp LeJune from Sept-Dec.1966

31. Oldosty November 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

I was stationed at Camp Geiger from 1956-1958. Is Geiger part of this survey. Please advise.

32. nutsomam98 November 21, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

My name is Ranel Lamar Bruce I enlisted ON May 19, 1976 to Parris ISLAND N.C. I CAN BE REACHED AT 4042278280 This is my home phone. Or I can be reached at [email protected] . I can’t get to where I can Log on toput my CDC portocol number.

33. Paul November 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

I would take the survey if I knew where the hell it was ?????
    Semper Fi

34. R.P. Snyder November 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

Typical government information: not accurate and not complete. Web site opens but there is no survey to be taken there!

35. R.P. Snyder November 22, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Typical government: no accurate information and no survey at the given web site (which does open).

36. R.P. Snyder November 22, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Judging from all the comments written above, there are many Marines that can not gain access to take the survey. Why is it (or how is it) the government can screw up such a simple task? One note from October said that the survey was “now” working at the site. Well it may have been working then but is isn’t working “now” (November 22nd). It does appear that things work today about as well as they did in 1958.

37. C77AAF75 November 22, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

to fillout survey

38. S Johnson November 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

Couldn’t find the survey on this website. Found lots of useless popups, however. The mailing said I was previously sent a survey but didn’t return it. Never Happened. By the way, is Camp Geiger considered part of Lejeune?

39. marinergysgt December 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Unable to get into Suvey site. When site is punched in just this page comes up and there is no place for a pin # to get to the survey.You might need a new IT man to re-do this site. I will try to send in the Survey sent, but I really feel that it won’t do much better. Government surveys create more of a problem then they are worth.

40. adora agustin December 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

live in TT-1 10mos 1977 w/husband& work part timein the officers club…need health survey.

41. ravila January 13, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I was stationed at Camp Lejune from 1976 to 1977 and did training at MCSSS formerly Montford Point, and then stationed at MCB 2nd MarDiv. Honorably discharged in 1980. Upon release, I was disabled for about 3 years at 10% service connected but the Gov. decided my disability was better and it lowere rating to 10% and it took 25 years later before it was raised to 20% currently. I am now almost in my mid 50’s

42. mwilley February 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

How do we update the survey we took? I was recently diagnosed with chrohn’s disease.

43. mikethemarine73-75 October 30, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Having served at Camp Lejeune for almost two years,1973-1975 it’s ashame that the contaminated water wasn’t tested on a yearly basis, after reading the CDC reports and findings i now believe that the four+trips i made to loma-linda medical center for swelling and inflamation the doctors- didn’t know how to connect the links and or tie in this disease to the big story it has be come all to real now. Now i’m being treated for neurological effects and a nerve pinned against my disc in my spine while waiting for the consultation.Finally i will not blame the va at all, i’d rather keep the best attitude and hopefully i hope the disease doesn’t kill me nor and those that can’t still get how big this this P.S. THE MARINES WILL ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE THE SAME BLOOD. semper fi

44. Joseph Kissane February 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

I was at the Delta 1/2,2nd Mar.Div,Camp LeJeune,N.C. from 1976-1978.
    Until I received the news from the Camp LeJeune ATSDR I knew that I wasn’t the only Marine that I had heard others talking about the tast and smell from the water.You could never get a nice drink of water without
    the smell of sulfer and it was impossible to get a good drink plain cold tasteless water to quinch the thirst.When released from the from the
    military I was alright for a while and then i noticed I would cough up blood for days at a time.While in I would get Broncitus a few times

45. Boyce C. Perry,Sr. June 4, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

I am sending this for my husband, Boyce C. Perry, Sr. He is at present having Dementia problems and cannot remember dates and times. To the best of his ability he was stationed at Camp LeJeune form April 1960 until July of 1962. He left and was sent to Quantico where he left the military in March 1963. He has had some mini strokes that he was told could be service related. I hope that this helps your survey.
    I am Jean
    C. Perry and wrote this for my husband.