“These people saved the world. They saved the WORLD.” – Shawn Graham, public affairs specialist, National Cemetery Administration.
Loudon Park National Cemetery, originally a military cemetery located within the private Loudon Park Cemetery, is located in southwest Baltimore, Md. It was one of the 14 original national cemeteries established under the National Cemetery Act of July 17, 1862. Loudon Park National Cemetery was established in 1862 with most of the original interments coming from Baltimore hospitals, as well as the Relay House and Elkridge Landing. The Relay House was a popular hotel for B&O passengers in the 19th century. Located on the mainline route, Union regiments occupied the town of Relay beginning in May 1861. The Relay House became the headquarters for Union officers and enlisted men stationed in the area to protect the railroad from Confederate saboteurs. Elkridge Landing was another important Maryland transportation center at risk of enemy occupation or destruction during the war. Not only was Elkridge Landing a deep-water port in use since the Colonial period, but the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad ran through it as a vital link to the B&O, iron mines and furnaces. The cemetery is bounded by an iron fence with formal cast-iron gates at the entrance; a two-story folk Victorian lodge was built in the 1890s. Loudon Park National Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. To learn about Loudon Park National Cemetery, click here: www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/loudonpark.asp. Learn more about the National Cemetery Administration: www.cem.va.gov/ (Videos produced by servicemember students from the Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Maryland, in collaboration with the National Cemetery Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs. March 2017)