729th TCS Eglin AFB #3 1965 to 1968

Discussion in 'Find a Veteran' started by vetresllg, Sep 13, 2007.

1. vetresllg

vetresllg New Member

Hello,
    I was a radar repairman at Eglin AFB from 1965 thru 1968. I'm trying to find others who were there.

Thanks,
    Les
    (O:3
    k4ibz.bill @gmail.com likes this.
  2. TOP

TOP New Member

Field 3 .. Duke Field

Greetings!!

I am glad to know that there is at least one survivor of the 729th other than myself! I visited Field 3 last year and would you believe that the baracks across from the BX are still standing?? E-mail me if you are interested in photos, rehashing old times at field 3 etc. Did you go thru the 729th Combat school?
  3. vetresllg

vetresllg New Member

Greetings!!

04/10/08
    Hello TOP,

Wow, talk about timing!!! I just received my denial letter from the VA today and was depressed.

Do I remember combat school??? The VA stated, "... 'you were a radar repairman. This position is not considered to be a position in which you would have received combat training and/or used rifle grenades.' ...". I must have hallucinated about the M16 rifles, M60 machine gun, the old tank with the gas cannon and etc too!

Boy do I have some stories about those old barracks. Yes I would like photos, rehashing old times at field 3 etc. I look forward to your email.
    Respectfully,
    Les
    [email protected]
  4. EEK

EEK New Member

I was at Field three between 1968 and 1971, in the 729th TCS which became Det 1 407TCG. I went to Combat School as a Radar Repairman, as did my friend Larry Garren. We are both fighting the VA for Agent Orange exposure. I drove by and saw they changed the name to Duke Field, which had been the name of Field 4 IIRC. Toward the end, our MPS 11 and TPS 40 were shipped to MacDill (as the 729th) and we got a new digital Radar Center (as Det 1), but we had to drive to Field 6 every day instead of Field 3. Larry went TDY to MacDill during the transition and stayed with my folks in Pinellas County. At Field 6, we spent many months working with the manufacturer's Reps getting the new radar to work correctly. It think it was a 43 or 44. I also worked with Hazeltine on some new crypto gear for the IFF equipment. I can be reached at [email protected].
  5. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

k4ibz.bill @gmail.com Member

6. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

hey Top I just found you I was in that combat school also fired the M-16 full automatic also used there gernade launcher attachment. Dug fox holes set up combat command post communications, did map and compass navigation, escape es evasion tactics. I was a telephone installer repairman 362x4. VA shot my PTSD also. I was a Phan Rang AFB Vietnam. I would like too talk with you top over the telephone my Home phone is ( 850 ) 682 7051
  7. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

Hello Top I just found your post about 729th TAC and the Combat school . I was at 729th TAC in 1968 and also went to the combat school. I did all the things you did. VA should have approved your PTSD and the agent orange. But if you filed your claim with the VA VETERAN SERVICE OFFICER ( VSO ) They work for VA C & P ( Claims & PENSION ). Get out from under them and seek out a Disabled Veterans Officer. They can just about assure your approval.

Please call me at my home phone ( 850 ) 682-7051 or cell Phone ( 850 ) 376-9495. I retired in 1985 and settled here in Crestview , Fl.

I also invite anyone else that reads my reply to TOP please feel free to call me.

Thanks Bill K4IBZ
  8. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

Robert Dallons likes this.
  9. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

I was there also in 1968 at field #3 729th TAC
    Robert Dallons likes this.
  10. Robert Dallons

Robert Dallons New Member

I was also at Duke field in 68-69. Pictures below were from one of our deployments - White Point, near where the Mid-Bay bridge was built in 1993. I was responsible for the TSC-53 van on the right. Of my whole AF career, this was my favorite assignment. robertworking.png
    whitepoint.png
  11. Robert Dallons

Robert Dallons New Member

It's interesting that Bill (k4ibz) and I both retired from other parts of the world and both ended up living within 15 miles of field #3. Good to see you again after all these years, good buddy.
  12. Russell Hunter

Russell Hunter New Member

Les, What hill were you on. I was Dong Ha Mt. & Goi Linh on the DMZ. I was Flash. email me @ [email protected] mite have names for you if you were up North with us
  13. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

14. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

15. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

hey me to. had the combat training and was treated the same i was delusional that never happened.
  16. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  17. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

I wonder why They call us delusional? What is the Air Force trying to hide? I was treated the same way by VA ---- C & P. I'm still working on my appeal, I'm still see the head shrinks, I'm still on anti-depressants. I'll say this much during Vietnam we were experimented on. Do you realize that in basic training they gave us a cocktail of 15 different immunizations in each arm, a total of thirty, all at the same time of God knows what? Do you remember the guys in your flight that passed out and fell forward flat on their face? You never saw those guys again neither did they return to the BMTS Flight. Things that make you go Hmmmm ????
  18. TonyB

TonyB New Member

I was stationed at field #3 between 66 to69 as a cook in the dinning hall. after that I ended up at McDill AFB for my last year. I remember going through the ground combat school and even volunteering to go out at night and help the instructors infiltrate the camp of students. I've lost contact with the guys I was stationed with and have trouble remembering some of the names?
  19. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

Hi Tony thanks for your reply, as you can see by the postings, that many of us are asking questions about this training. The VA C & P has denied our P T S D disability for those of us who went to Vietnam. Since there is no records for this training the VA has labeled us Delusional. You guys never had such training. I even had Jungle Survival School in the Philippines prior to my deployment to Vietnam. The VA still says we are delusional we had no such training. Any way my friend I would like to talk with you on the phone . My new Phone Number is ( 850 ) 398 9316. Please feel free to call me and I invite others to call me that read this post.
  20. Larry M

Larry M New Member

Hi Guys,
    I was stationed at Fld 3 as a 30430 (got my 5 level while there), from Dec 68-sometime in the summer of 69, when the squadron was broken in two, half going to Nellis as the 4465 TCS, and my half going to MacDill as the 4464 TCS, later reclaiming the 729th name. While at Fld 3, the first shirt was CMSgt Mintner, an old timer who parachuted behind enemy lines on D-day. Word was that he was the most senior enlisted man in the AF at that time, outranked only by the CMSgt of the AF. I, too, attended the combat school, right there at Fld 3, later to be one of the bad guys for subsequent classes, lugging around an M14, with as much blank ammo as I cared to carry. In Jan, 70, went PCS to Clark, then to Osan, as Nam was winding down. There I found myself aligning a radio shot with another base in Korea (don't remember which), when the familiar voice on the other end of the order wire was Alan G, my former barracks mate at Fld 3, and red rope back at Kessler. Decades later, rte 85 was made into quite a highway into the main base. Many was the time that Dennis H and I took the power lines trail into the main base on our dirt bikes. Lots more memories from that base, and of Crestview. Hello to all of my fellow "TAC trained killers".