A-4-44

Discussion in '38th Artillery Brigade' started by Yoge Mountain, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Yoge Mountain

Yoge Mountain New Member

Looking for anyone who served at A-4-44 Chinchon, Korea who may be suffering similar health problems as I am, possibly due to conditions there. I still have severe "heartburn" and I've been on antacids since 1971. I'm diagnosed as having Gastroesophageal Reflux Disorder (GERD) with Duodenitis (ulcerated stomach bulb). The town hospital where I had an upper GI done following my Korea tour has no records dating back that far. My private doctor is retired. I recall the diesel stoves in our barrack huts gave off lots of smoke; The ville hootches below our camp burned coal all winter and the smoke would fill the valley; We drank creek water laced with chemicals; Pesticides were sprayed over the rice paddies beneath our camp 2-3 times in summer; And a Herbicide, possibly Agent Orange, was sprayed in our camp in '70-'71 to keep firing lanes open and camp roads clear. Oh, and the kimche sucked, as did the yobos. ;)
    Rick Brody
    16B-20
    '70-'71
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Rick:

I don't know squat about Korea but there doesn't seem to be any reason to suffer from heartburn these days. About 15 years ago an Australian researcher found the cause of over 90% of the cases. It's a bacteria that can survive in the gut called Helicobacter pylori. A simple blood test or breath test can identify the problem and the cure is antibiotics for a couple weeks. Go here for info: http://www.helico.com/
  3. Yoge Mountain

Yoge Mountain New Member

TinCanMan.

Thanks. Interesting stuff on the link you provided. My private doc had asked for the "helicopter bug" test when I had biopsies done of my stomach, throat and colon last year. Test for bugs came back negative, and luckily the stomach and colon polyps and esophagus Squamous Epithelium were benign.

So if the helo bugs were in there, either the amphicillin killed them when I first got back from Korea in '71 or, I drowned them with vodka. :eek:

I read in the Veteran Leader a suggestion that all who served in Nam get the helicopter bug test. Those forgotten others who served during or before the Vietnam War in the armpit of the world called Korea should also be tested.
    Rick (Yoge)
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Rick:

Sorry to hear that wasn't it. Sure makes for an easy cure although in my case I still have some problem with heartburn due to the damage done to the esophageal sphincter after years of being eaten at by HB. Oh well, neither of us has cancer which is always the big worry.
  5. rontnova

rontnova New Member

rick
    i served C-4-44 1971-1972 i have no problem with heartburn but am quite concerned about agent orange due to numerous skin cancer removals and possible prostate cancer diagnosis you should dig deeper into the agent orange symptoms as a possible cause for your problem. the VA is being very tough and tight mouthed about agent orange in korea
  6. John Shirley

John Shirley New Member

I was at Camp El Paso Korea from 7/73-7/74. I was a 16C. I am trying to get AO disability for a few problems. I have appealed and am waiting now. If anyone has anything that can help I would sure like to have a copy. My email is [email protected]. To all of us ADA brothers let's fight this together and win what we were promised. Hope to hear from someone soon from the 4-44 ADA.