About the way we have to live here in this country,

Discussion in 'Remembering' started by rainvet, Dec 26, 2005.

1. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Is ANYBODY Not listening from yesteryears ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Walkin' on the Fightin' Side of Me

John Kerry and his 'Winter Soldiers' were testifying before the Senate about the depravity of American troops fighting in Vietnam.

In his testimony, Kerry himself admitted to committing atrocities. The 'Winter Soldiers' (many of whom were outright frauds) told chilling tales of American cruelty, murder, torture and mayhem.

Jane Fonda joined Tom Hayden in traveling to North Vietnam to condemn our forces from the enemy capital. Hanoi Jane got her nickname after posing as a gunner on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, play-acting at shooting down American planes.

And Haggard's song played on the radio to an America largely deafened by the din of protest:

"I hear people talkin' bad,
    About the way we have to live here in this country,
    Harpin' on the wars we fight,
    An' gripin' 'bout the way things oughta be.
    An' I don't mind 'em switchin' sides,
    An' standin' up for things they believe in.
    When they're runnin' down my country, man,
    They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
    Yeah, walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
    Runnin' down the way of life,
    Our fightin' men have fought and died to keep.
    If you don't love it, leave it:
    Let this song I'm singin' be a warnin'.
    If you're runnin' down my country, man,
    You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me."

They were walking on the fightin' side of me then, and they are walking on the fightin' side of me now.

This week, US News and World Report ran yet ANOTHER expose' of American intelligence-gathering techniques, reporting on a secret US government domestic spying operation.

Like last week's revelation that the NSA sometimes conducts warrantless wiretaps on suspected terrorists, I didn't need to know the details of US News' David Kaplan's 'exclusive' report concerning US domestic anti-nuclear efforts, either.

The report begins by breathlessly informing its readers that the federal government is running, "a far-reaching, top secret program to monitor radiation levels at over a hundred Muslim sites in the Washington, D.C., area, including mosques, homes, businesses, and warehouses, plus similar sites in at least five other cities."

And if that isn't enough, then just wait, there's more!

"In numerous cases, the monitoring required investigators to go on to the property under surveillance, although no search warrants or court orders were ever obtained, according to those with knowledge of the program."

After making sure we all knew the government was running amok, violating Muslims right to privacy, Kaplan acknowleges that the feds say "warrants are unneeded for the kind of radiation sampling the operation entails . . . BUT 'some' legal scholars disagree."

Kaplan quotes constitutional law expert and Georgetown University Professor David Cole.

Notes Kaplan, "Cole points to a 2001 Supreme Court decision, U.S. vs. Kyllo, which looked at police use -- without a search warrant -- of thermal imaging technology to search for marijuana-growing lamps in a home. The court, in a ruling written by Justice Antonin Scalia, ruled that authorities did in fact need a warrant -- that the heat sensors violated the Fourth Amendment's clause against unreasonable search and seizure."

Kaplan failed in his column to note any difference between trying to catch people growing marijuana and trying to prevent a nuclear detonation and US soil.

Instead, Kaplan noted that Nuclear Emergency Response Teams (NEST) have combed suspected sites in the US, "looking for radioactive material, using high-tech detection gear fitted onto various aircraft, vehicles, and even backpacks and attaché cases. No dirty bombs or nuclear devices have ever been found - and that includes the post-9/11 program."

The point of the report wasn't to inform the nation that the government is on top of the nuclear threat, or that it is taking extraordinary care to ensure US security.

Kaplan's entire report is devoted to making sure readers know; a) the government is conducting warrantless surveillance, b) the opinion of carefully selected scholars that such surveillance is 'probably' illegal, c) the government is profiling Muslims, and d) Vice President Dick Cheney was briefed on the program.

In a nutshell, then, Kaplan wants the world to know that Dick Cheney is behind a secret program to conduct illegal warrantless searches against innocent Muslims living peacefully in America.

No doubt this will contribute to another endless round of calls for the president's impeachment, a public "re-examination" of what had been a SECRET nuclear defense strategy, and, most probably, the end of the program altogether.

Will it ever stop? Has Vietnam taught America nothing? Will the enemy's Useful Idiots ever realize it is their own country they are running down -- and not a political party?

That they are compromising their own security? Or that they are also risking mine? What will it take? A mushroom cloud rising over Washington DC or Los Angeles?

Is ANYBODY listening?
  2. Yoge Mountain

Yoge Mountain New Member

Well said Rainvet.
    Yoge