American Legion's VA Claims And Department Service Officers

Discussion in 'The American Legion' started by rainvet, Jul 31, 2005.

1. rainvet

rainvet New Member

VA Claims And Department Service Officers
    Since its inception, The American Legion has maintained an ongoing concern and commitment to veterans and their families. The Legion was instrumental in the creation of the U.S. Veterans Bureau, now known as the Department of Veterans Affairs, and has continued to be a watchdog and an advocate for veteran's rights.

The national staff is often involved with testimony before the House and Senate and are members of various Presidental and Secretarial committees. Staff members also conduct quality reviews of VA Regional Offices and VA medical centers, while others assist with appeals sent to the Board of Veterans Appeals or claims for discharge upgrades or correction of military records before the DOD Discharge and Correction Boards. National staff also represents veterans with insurance claims (Philadelphia VARO) and debt management problems (St. Paul VARO).
    http://www.legion.org/section=veterans&subsection=vt_generinfo&content=vt_claims

The American Legion's Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation (VA&R) program provides a comperhensive network of American Legion Department Service Officers at the Department level to help veterans, their dependents and survivors apply for any Federal or state benefit to which they may be entitled. These are the individuals who should be consulted when any question arises regarding veterans' benefits or claims for these benefits.
  2. crewdogoh58

crewdogoh58 New Member

I had contacted the 2 legion posts here in clarksville tn and they were very rude and offered absolutely NO help at all.I sent an e-mail to the national commander to show my dissatisfaction with them.I sure hope that only the posts here are bad.Maybe the legion will weed out the bad ones.

Crewdogoh58
  3. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Crewdogoh58 ; I've had my share of Service Repts. that I fell the same way you do. Call your State Repts, because they work for the State and not for the Federal Gov't.
  4. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Changed Veteran Service Repts. !

I have had enought of the DAV so I changed Veteran Service Repts. to the American Red Cross and Filed a V-9 Form for a NOA on my VA Claim. The SSA office gave me a paper stating that I'm SS Disability because of my Anxiety Related Disorders and not what the VA claim that I'm SS disable for because of my Heart. The SSA office said that I do have a secondary Disability but the main SS Disabililty is for 12.06 Anxiety Related Disorders{3000}. Which I'm Service Connected for.The Letter from the SSA Office that I got, I gave the letter to the Dept. of Veteran Affair office for new MTL on my NOD and it state that I am disable for Anxiety first and that my other disability is secondary to my major disability which is for Anxiety Related Disorders. I've been turned down at least twice for the VA Claiming that no one has said I couldn't work because of my Service Connected Disability and also Claim that the SS Records don't show that either. I've have requested a copy of my SSA Records and am waiting on them now. RainVet !
  5. BajaMike

BajaMike New Member

AL DSO's have been worthless - actually worse than worthless since the VA is required to copy them on all your "stuff" - which slows down an already slow and cumbersome process.

If you can read and write - don't use a DSO - do it yourself (which you wind up doing anyway). You don't need the extra aggravation - the VA system will give you enough of that!
  6. iamish116

iamish116 New Member

Really very nice! let go!