Any CAP types in here?

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by Bertf, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I am doing a story about the good that we did in Vietnam, the medical aid, the teaching about cleanliness and sanitation, etc. I would like to hear from anyone who took part in this kind of operatiomn with a brief narration of their activities. I could also use some photos of Americans helping Vietnamese women or children. Let's be the good guys for a change.

Herb
  2. Facing The Wall

Facing The Wall New Member

Good Guys

Herb,

Our Nam Vets have alway been the good guys. Why the statement, "Let's be the good guys for a change"?

FTW
  3. Bertf

Bertf New Member

You can't possible be that naive. I have seen 30 years of terms like rapists, baby-killers, drug addicts, etc. Anyone here never heard the term "Crazy Vietnam veteran?" Anybody seen "Platoon?" The point I am making is that we can do a story telling just of the good things that were done there. No shooting, no troops holding M-16s, just treating children and building hospitals. That is what I mean by "good guys for a change."

I have about three narrations so far, I could use at least three more.
  4. Facing The Wall

Facing The Wall New Member

Naive

Naive, I don' think so. For many years I have been aware about what has been and is said about our Nam Vets ~ how could anyone, especially one married to a Vietnam Vet, be unaware of the statement "Crazy Vietnam Vets."

That being said: My opinion is that you guys went and did your jobs and I'm sorry that our Nam Vets feel they have to continue to prove that they are the "good guys."

Welcome Home & Thank You

Facing The Wall
  5. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Yeah, we still can't seem to shake off the image that the media pinned us. Its like trying to get rid of Hanoi Jane...she goes on, and on, and on, and the media is still there giving the bitch free publicity.

I remember the CAP teams and the good things they did. I was with MACV in Quang Tri city. Our Advisory Team coordinated alot of civic functions with the G5 of the 3rd US Marine Division at Dong Ha. While we did not have any CAP teams per se, the US NAVY had a MILPHAP team based at Camp Kilroy, home of MACCORDS Advisory Team 19. whose sole mission was to provide the civilian populace with free medical and surgical care at the Quang Tri City Hospital. Each of our five District Senior Advisors had a medical person on their staff, and the 7 Mobile Advisory Teams (MAT) that served at the hamlet level with the indiginous popular forces also had a medic along with a heavy and a light weapons NCO on their teams.

Yes, the CAPs deserve some positive publicity for the good they have done, and I salute you, Bertf, in this worthwhile endeavor.

And oh by the way, Bertf, its been 40 years, not 30.
  6. Bertf

Bertf New Member

Knewheart

I am counting from the day the tanks rolled into Saigon. Closer to 30 I think, unless my math is way off.

By the way, in regard to the previous letter, I had a mother write to me and ask to see the story. I gave her a peek. She was amazed. She wrote back that she never knew we did things like MEDCAPs and DENTCAPs during the war. It was all new to her. I told her that anyone who was there was aware of it. This is not attempt to make us the good guys, I used that just to get your attention. It is an attempt to show the other side of the war. It is PSYOP used for good, not to intimidate or frighten.

Now you have already started a narration. Why not beef it up a little, add a few more lines of description and mail it to me. It would fit in nicely.
  7. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

I guess I was counting from when Pres. Johnson started with the 50,000 man increases back in 1965. Prior to that, we only had about 18,000 or so advisors in country. I think the war ended in '74, so both 30 and 40 years would be the correct time frame.

I have also sent you a private message as requested.
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The official end of the Vietnam War and end of U.S. military actions is 27 Jan 1973 when the Paris Peace Accords were finalized. All U.S. troops were removed by 29 Mar 73. Saigon falls to the NVA on 29 Apr 1975. The Marines involved in the helo extraction on that date were embassy guards not combat troops.

I don't know there is one official start. There are many "starts". 5 Aug 1964, the day after USS Maddox was supposedly attacked, is generally considered to be the beginning of the "Americanization" of the war although US troops played a variety of roles since the end of WWII.
  9. Bertf

Bertf New Member

Knewheart,

No message received yet. It went to [email protected] right? I actually started to edit your narration yesterday before I left for a big FD affair. I got this far:

I remember the Civil Action Program teams and the good things they did. I was with Military Assistance Command Vietnam in Quang Tri city. Our Advisory Team coordinated many civic functions with the G5 of the 3rd US Marine Division at Dong Ha. While we did not have any CAP teams per se, the U.S. Navy had a Military Provincial Health Assistance Program (MILPHAP) team based at Camp Kilroy, whose sole mission was to provide the civilian populace with free medical and surgical care at the Quang Tri City Hospital. Each of our five District Senior Advisors had a medical person on their staff, and the seven Mobile Advisory Teams (MAT) that served at the hamlet level with the indigenous popular forces also had a medic assigned.

I do need your name (or whatever you want to be called) and your rank at the time. Other than that, a little bit about any specific aid would be helpful.

Tin Can,

You saw where I was coming from. If I talk about the way Americans were perceived since the end of the war I have to start about 1975. That is where I got my "30 years." If I was going to the "start" of the war I can go further back. I know a SF advisor who was there in 1962 (but unarmed...in theory).
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

bertf:

I chose to be specific about the "end of the Vietnam War" because many folks tend to associate the fall of Saigon (1975) with the end of the war. That seems to imply it was the U.S. that "lost" the war when, in fact" the U.S. had negotiated a peace treaty, such as it was, more than two years earlier.
  11. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I just finished my latest story. I should not say “finished,” because I am still hoping for some narrations to add. Almost every Vietnam vet I know claims to have taken part in helping orphanages, adopting local hospitals, etc. I asked a bunch of them to send me a paragraph or two about what they did there. I have just received a few so far. This article is totally different than what I normally write about. There are no dead and burnt bodies, no threats to bomb one back into the Stone Age. This is strictly about helping people. I don’t think there have been many stories like it in the past. I still need some more first-person accounts though.

www.psywarrior.com/PsyopHealth.html
  12. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Herb -

Sorry to confuse you. I used Veterans Resources to send you a private message, not an e-mail. Please look in the upper right hand corner of this page where it says "Welcome" and see if you have any unread private messages. Just click on private message to access it.

Regret, I cannot provide any first hand narratives for your book. I was the S-1 Advisor/admin officer for MACCORDS Advisory Team 19. As such, I was generally aware of what was going on in the Province as I attended the daily staff briefings where civic matters were always discussed. My rank at the time was Captain (Army). My name is not important, nor germane to my input for your book. However, I did provide you with the name and e-mail address of one of the MILPHAP medics who may be willing to share some of his experiences at the Quang Tri City Hospital.

Sorry to argue the time frame..it was mostly said in jest, not to prove you wrong or to make a point. So, whose counting, and who cares? It was a long, long time ago.
  13. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I should just point out that the article is not for a book. I write articles for magazines and newspapers, but this story will just appear on the psywarrior site with about another dozen articles I wrote on Vietnam. It is for the general public. So I remove most of the technical stuff and the kind of information that makes us all happy. I have civilians writing to me already shocked to hear about these programs. They had no idea.
  14. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Herb:

I sent you another private message on VR with the release.

Tom
  15. geraldzel

geraldzel New Member

I served with a Navy Milphap team in Hoi an & Quang Tri as a surgeon in a provincial hospital. Have loads of pics and stories. Was in Quang Tri for Tet 1968. I did hare lip repairs and loads of other surgeries. Best year in my 38+ years of medical practice. Looking forward to hearing from you.
  16. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Gerald

You might want to consider uploading your pics online and posting a link to them I suspect many folks would like to see them.