Can widow receive vet husband's pension?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by livetogive, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. livetogive

    livetogive New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    My widowed mother was told she could not receive her
    veteran husband's pension. Is there no hope for her

    Thank you for your response,

  2. rainvet

    rainvet New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    livetogive, that depend on what your asking ? Your need to go to and or call the nearest Dept. of Veterans affairs office { 1-800-827-1000 ] and seek some advice from them because they will either know or will set you up to file a claim for the benefits you need, based on you being able to because of your husband service. They should be the best and fastest way to find out if your are able too recieve your Veteran Husband's pension benefits.

    Good luck and may the Lord bless you always; Vietnam Combat Vet; RainVet!
  3. TinCanMan

    TinCanMan Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    A wife can never receive her husbands Pension or Compensation but under certain circumstances they could receive a Death Benefit Pension in place of the husbands NSC Pension or they could receive Dependants Indemnity Compensation in place of a husbands Disability Compensation.

    Assuming you are really talking about a Pension and not Disability Compensation the answer is maybe. You can check on eligibility for a "Death Benefits Pension at this URL:

    Here's an extract from that link:
    What Is Death Pension ?

    Death Pension is a benefit paid to eligible dependents of deceased wartime veterans.

    Who Is Eligible ?

    You may be eligible if:

    · the deceased veteran was discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions, AND

    · he or she served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time. However, 38 CFR 3.12a requires that anyone who enlists after 9/7/80 generally has to serve at least 24 months or the full period for which a person was called or ordered to active duty in order to receive any benefits based on that period of service. With the advent of the Gulf War on 8/2/90 (and still not ended by Congress to this day), veterans can now serve after 9/7/80 during a period of wartime. When they do, they generally now must serve 24 months to be eligible for pension or any other benefits. But note the exclusions in 38 CFR 3.12(d), AND

    · you are the surviving spouse or unmarried child of the deceased veteran, AND

    · your countable income is below a yearly limit set by law

    That yearly limit is about $10k

    Applying is a fairly simple task for those that understand the process but can be intimidating for the first timer. If the veteran has already been receiving a pension, The VA has most of the information they need. Just send a letter to the nearest VA Regional Office with a copy of the Death Certificate, the husbands SSAN, the spouses name and SSAN. The VA will send you any forms you may need to send in. We can provide answers to most questions here on Veterans Resources.

    On the other hand, you don't need to go this alone. Every Veterans Service Organization (VSO) and some States and Counties have VA certified Service Officers (SO's) that will assist veterans and their spouses with presenting their claims. Call The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), the American Legion (AL), the American Red Cross (ARC), the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Military Order of the Purple Heart (MoPH) or any of the other hundreds of veterans service organizations and ask for help filing a claim. It's free and you don't have to be a member.

    This answer is based on the veteran being in receipt of a Non Service Connected Pension. If the veteran was in receipt of Disability Compensation the spouse could be eligible for Dependants Indemnity Compensation, not Death benefits Pension. The two are not the same.

Share This Page