Carbon tetrachloride

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by chrise, Nov 8, 2007.

1. chrise

chrise New Member

Until today I didn't know this site existed. As a disabled vet (60%) I can't tell you how glad I am that I have found you. I could really use your help. As I have aged I have seen my condition worsen to the point where a few years ago my company forced me to take early retirement. Here's a synopsis of my situation. After graduating from West Point in 1973 and the Armor Officer Basic Course I was posted to Germany. As the motor officer I was always up to my elbows in grease, oil, and cleaning solvent. In 1975 I started having breathing problems. Over several months it got so bad that they couldn't keep me out of the hospital for more than a month at a time. They medevaced me to the states - Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston. I was there for 6 months. During that time one of the doctors said that the condition from which I suffered might be as a result of working around the solvent carbon tetrachloride. When I asked him to put it in writing he said he would not and if pressed would deny ever having said it. Has anyone else heard about this side effect from carbon tet? Please drop me an email if you have. Thanks for reading this, even if nothing else comes of it it's nice to know that there are others out there who will understand.
    Chris
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Well, we'd like to comment but you haven't told us exactly what side effect you are talking about. Have you been diagnosed with a specific problem? There's lots of side effects on the web but it's all meaningless unless your doctor can say your condition was caused by exposure during your military service and he can provide a sound rationale for his opinion.

If you've been hospitalized during service, get both your Service Medical Records and your inpatient records from the National Archives and go thru them for any indications of causality. If you don't know how to get your records, let us know and we can explain.
  3. Vike17

Vike17 Member

chrise,

You said you're already receiving a 60% disability rating from VA. What is the 60% for???? Are you already receiving compensation for any residuals of carbon tetrachloride exposure i.e. breathing problems ect....?????

Vike 17
  4. chrise

chrise New Member

Carbon Tet

Sorry, it's not easy for me to talk about my illness and so I leave things out. My 60% disability is for "asthma" although my civilian pulmonologist says it doesn't behave like asthma. I have attacks where I have a hard time breathing. I can go from 100% O2 saturation in my blood to less than 60% saturation in half an hour. I have been told that anything less than 75% is considered critical. When I left the military I never applied for a disability, it was just awarded. I have tried to get my military health records and they have only 2 or 3 pages and say the rest must have been lost. Having been to National Jewish and the Mayo for answers and found none, I'm not sure where else to turn. I am not looking to hold the government or my country liable I am hoping that I can contact others with the same condition with whom to share info and find other resources. I went to the academy anticipating a life of service, it was our family's tradition. Now having to ask them for help doesn't feel right. Even sharing these thoughts with all of you makes me feel like a whiner. But as ashamed as it makes me to do this, I have no other alternatives. Thank you for any help hyou might be able to provide.
    Chris
  5. Vike17

Vike17 Member

chrise,

You said;

This doesn't make any sense at all. In order for VA to award disability compensation, a veteran must submit a formal claim. Are you sure this 60% rating is from VA????? Or is it from the DoD and yu were medically retired????

Vike 17
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Chris:

Regarding your Service Medical Records; a couple of possibilities exist. In theory, all medical records end up with the National Archives but they aren't necessarily referenced under your name/SSN/SN. Your SMR which follows you from station to station will be referenced by your Name/SSN/SN but any hospital (inpatient) record will first be referenced by the facility name and then by patient info. Your SMR's will arrive at NARA after you are discharged. Your inpatient records will get there separately. Some may have arrived before and some after your discharge depending on the particular hospitals archival procedures. Info from Brooke and the hospital in Germany will be referenced separately and you will have to ask for them or at least enumerate them separately by providing your name, SSN, SN, the facility name and approximate dates of treatment.

There is also the possibility that Brooke or the hospital in Germany may never have sent your records to NARA at all. They may have archived them on site. Write to them directly and ask.

Another issue which may complicate the search is they may no longer be with NARA. Anytime a claim for VA services is made, whether for health care or for compensation, the VA will attempt to get your Personnel and SMR's from NARA. They may be more or less successful in getting "all" of them. The VA doesn't really have a central location to maintain your records. They could be at any of several locations. Check with the Regional Offices, nearest your home of record, your place of discharge and any RO's where you might have filed claims.

When asking VA for your records ask for your entire claim file but enumerate each of your DD-214's by date, your SMR's, your Personnel Records and your hospital records.

If you make a claim with the VA, they will search for your records but you'll have to tell them which facilities might have them. They won't send detectives out. Their search will consist of a request to the facilities you tell them about.
  7. chrise

chrise New Member

Carbon Tet

Are you sure this 60% rating is from VA????? Or is it from the DoD and you were medically retired????

When I left the service I filled out no paperwork requesting a VA disability award. However wihtin months after my release the VA sent me a 10% award based on my breathing problems. Over the years as my condition has worsened they have increased it to the current 60%. So I know it is coming from the VA, but I do not remember asking for it.

I saw my West Point roommate a few weeks ago and he was in Germany at the same time I was. He told me that he suffered some of the same breathing problems although not as severe and they disappeared after he left Germany. I'm not a conspiracy nut, but I can't help thinking about all of those who suffered from Agent Orange after Vietnam and how long it took for them to get recognition.
  8. chrise

chrise New Member

Carbon Tet

If you make a claim with the VA, they will search for your records but you'll have to tell them which facilities might have them. They won't send detectives out. Their search will consist of a request to the facilities you tell them about.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will give that a try.
  9. Gratefuldennis

Gratefuldennis New Member

The guys in the Navy in the South China Sea are still not entitled to Agent Orange compensation. Although the Australian Dept. of Veterans Affairs did a study because the personnel on their ships had a slightly higher mortality rate between 1980 to 1995 from illnesses related to Agent Orange than the guys that were in country. They did a study that show the distilling process of the ships water purification system increased the potency of the dioxins up to 2,000 times so they were cooking their food in it and drinking it. The Australian Department of Veterans Affairs just gave the guys with related illnesses compensation without them even asking. Here I have been out for 48 years and still waiting for the Vietnam Navy vets to get put on the Agent Orange Bill or for them to pass a Carbon Tet Bill. They are just waiting for us to die.

It is against their policy to tell you your illnesses are related to toxins in the military. It was banned for public use in 1970 but the US Military kept using it through most of the 70's. In 1980 it was banned everywhere except for some special industrial use from its danger to the environment and human health hazards.

The VA Regional Office denied that they had my active duty records for 10 years although I have letters from the National Records Center from 2006 an 2014 that say they were sent to the VA Regional Office in Los Angeles in the WLA Federal Building. I went down there with a friend and a guy not related to the compensation people got my active duty records in about 15 minutes that proved what I have today began in the military.

The Australian report on Agent Orange for their blue water Navy that this country refuses to accept of even do their own studies. http://www.bluewaternavy.org/aussie/diox-019.pdf
  10. Gratefuldennis

Gratefuldennis New Member

I will upload a file of illnesses caused or suspected to cause many medical problems from Carbon Tetracloride with references to the sources of the information.

Attached Files: