Chat Room Added To Site

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by slapyo, Mar 29, 2005.

1. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

A chat room has been added to the site. The link to the chat room is in the menu along the top of the site. There is also a link on the home page in the Things To Do block.

Enjoy the chat room. I hope that it can be fun and of some use.
  2. stumpy

stumpy New Member

How does the chat room work for us computer illiterates.
  3. slapyo

The chat room is a Java applet. You just click the chat link and it will open in a new window. In the upper left you can change your nickname from guest to whatever you would like. Then you just type your message in the box named message and press Enter.

If you want you can change the color and the font size. Those 2 options are along the top next to where you change your name.

That is about it. Not much else to it. It is a very simple chat program, but it does get the job done!
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Slapyo:

What port does Chat use?
  5. slapyo

I am not sure what port the chat room may use. It should work with just the regular port 80 for HTTP. Although I am not sure on that.
  6. SSGTVOL

SSGTVOL Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Donnie,

Any way to turn on an indicator that lets people know when people are in the chat room?
  7. slapyo

Unfortunately no. This was one of the things I was looking for when I wanted a chat room to add onto the site. This way I could somehow show that there were people in it. I have no control over that.

For now, I think that this chat room will do. But I think I am going to search for some more and run them across the host to see if they will work. I would really like the ability to show if people are using it or not. I'd also like the ability to tie it into the forums so it uses your username. Right now you can use whatever name you want.