Co. F Provisional Troop Command Long Binh Post

Discussion in 'United States Army' started by rainvet, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rainvet

rainvet New Member

I did my Tour at Long Binh in Oct.17,1968 til Oct.16,1969. I really did 366 days in Vietnam because as I was half-way up to that freedom bird, I was called back down and was told I'll have to wait another day because my WT# was the amount that was over-loaded so I spent another night at Bin Hoa Air Base.

I didn't has to go back to Long Binh Post at the 90th Replacement barrels. I was asigned to a re-actional force and was based on the perimater next to the road and lived on the Long Binh Base and was assigned to the 1st Log Provisional Troop Command out of Saigon. I was assigned to a Unit and lived in a 4-man hooch and smell Agent Orange all the time because the Army was always spraying the fence and land mines around our living quarters. My Unit was Company F Provisional Troop Command.

After 6 months I was re-assigned to a safer place closer to the middle of the Long Binh Base and my unit was then called Company A Provisional Troop Command.I did alot of traveling to and fro to Saigon(Newton Port) and was put on Convoy with ever, pull sweeps with the 199 light Inf. and the 11 Cav. Also I was put on Convoy and rec'd siper fire and a whole lots of in-coming morter rounds, pus all the guard duty I had to pull while there.

That was just a fews things I did while doing my tour in
    Vietnam. After I was moved in-warded closer to the middle area of the base ,I was also moved to a new Industal Park but it was still called Vehicle Park. I was next to the MP unit.

Haven't neet nor heard from anyone who was there and served with me since I left Long Binh in Oct.1969, RainVet!

Most provisional units were localy created by the major command, in your case 1st Log. Many time the records were kept at the command level. You might try searching 1st Log archives.

At MACV I pulled duty of and on with what they called the MACV Provisional Reactionary Force, which was a fancy name for guard duty. We were "attached" to that "unit" for 60 days on and 60 days off. The duty was strictly at night, and we still had to work at our regular duties. It was a "duty with" not an assignment. I was still assigned to HQ MACV. There is nothing in my 201 file about it, though I did get a ARCOM and a Certificate of Appreciation from the "unit." In later years, it caused some problems as my record of assignments did not show any assignment to such a unit. I told them they could keep the ARCOM if it was such a big deal, but finally they agreed it was ligit.

As I said above, I would start the search at 1st Log level.

Good luck.
  2. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Provisional Troop Command

[RainVet]I did my Tour at Long Binh in Oct.17,1968 til Oct.16,1969.
  3. T Rust

T Rust New Member

Long Binh

I think my husband was in the same place. I know it was Long Binh Oct 68-69. And F Troop. And I think the 90th too. Tom Rust is his name. I am always hoping to find others he knew. I found one person that was there, Morris Jaskula. He sent me this link. Tom is not the computer type but I am going to show him this site. He will enjoy it. Tom was in transportation driving trucks. He is always wondering what happened to Jack Flowers, Busser and some others that I can't remember their names at the moment. We have pics of all of them at Long Binh.

Hope you knew him. That would be great. I think everyone called him Rusty.
  4. rainvet

rainvet New Member

T Rust ; can't remember name's but do remember face's. I hope some of the peoples who served with me will be with your group. I haven't have the first person be knowed to me that served with me there since I left Long Binh, VN .Sure was like to hear from some-one who was there with me. RainVet !
  5. sfcmac

sfcmac New Member

Co. F, Troop Command

Does anyone remember Russell Allen Brock? He was there from 8 Oct 69 to Oct 69.
  6. rainvet

rainvet New Member

sfcmac, what did Russell Allen Brock do and what was his unit name ?? RV
  7. tashwash

tashwash New Member

My name is Bruce Washington I served in country with Co F troop comand I worked at long Binh Depot SSSC warehouse like to hear from anybody that was there thanks
  8. Bill Huntoon

Bill Huntoon New Member

Hi my name is Bill Huntoon thay called me Hun in nam.I was in long bihn from 1968 to 1969 i was in F co tc worked on depot and drove maby we no eachouther i rember a guy by the last name of Washington.
  9. Bill Huntoon

Bill Huntoon New Member

Hi i was also with co f troop command long binh.july 1968 till july 1969 i was in a 6 man couch threw.
  10. Bill Huntoon

Bill Huntoon New Member

installation property branch.
  11. Morris Jaskula

Morris Jaskula New Member

It Morris--How are you and Tom?
  12. Morris Jaskula

Flowers went back to Bakersfield , Busser worked for Albertson grocery company ,James Buntenbach had a plumbing business in Ohio that's all I know for sure.
    Morris
  13. Morris Jaskula

Yes --I remember him--we were in the same company---how is he doing?
    I hope he got checked for Agent Orange poisoning because we were all heavily sprayed with the stuff.
    He kinda hung out with a guy from Alabama named Red Iason(sp).
    We drove in the same motor pool and lived in "THE RUBBER TREE PLANTATION" next to the motor pool.
    We were like the ugly redheaded stepchildren--our company never got anything new to speak of--oh well
    Have him e-mail me
    Morris
  14. steve fuller

steve fuller New Member

I believe I worked with Jaskula at co. F motor pool at night dispatching during the summer of 69
  15. steve fuller

steve fuller New Member

I also lived in the rubber plantation. most names are gone out of my memory except Clyde Meadia from Hawaii and a guy that took my place running the motor pool dispatch named Steckmyer from New York.
  16. David Abbett

David Abbett New Member

I worked in Property Book from Sept 1969 till Sept 1971. My name is Dave Abbett.
    Robert Willis likes this.
  17. Robert Willis

Robert Willis New Member

My name is bob willis i was in company F troop command work in r & u on the depot
  18. Robert Willis

Robert Willis New Member

My name is bob willis I was in company f troop command depot from 1970 to 1971
  19. Gae Phinney

Gae Phinney New Member

I've tried for years to find info for my husband, Mike Phinney. Seems he was in Germany & volunteered for Vietnam but his brother was serving there. He was sent to quartermaster school & after he got his diploma jan 30 1969 he was sent to Long Binh HQ The dd214 he had is incomplete. Does show Co F USA Depot Long Binh in transfer/discharge area. Have requested lost records & corrected records & as always snafu, was sent back 2 photocopies of what we sent saying it was a certified correct document. Lost all medical and other records & never got medals etc. when he went back to Buffalo from Vietnam . My husband and I spent 40 years together before he died 10 months ago. I'm so angry he never got anything but BS. Did get his name in Agent Orange Registry. Couldn't go to VA hospital(no ambulance service)so went to non va and died- not even an autopsy to see what the underlying problem caused his death. Suffered years in pain but now can RIP. He had been searching for years for a friend,also in Long Binh , Mike Hitt. Never found him.
  20. Morris Jaskula

Gae,
    Sorry for your loss.
    As you probably already know a lot of Vets were lost to AO poisoning.
    The govt never warned us to monitor our health or that we had even been sprayed.
    We were disposable and they didn't care---talk about betrayal.
    I was on Long Binh for 14 months and after 33 years I found out by accident that we were in the most heavily sprayed area in country.
    I guess I was lucky for lack of a better term--I found out in 2001 I had prostate cancer and got it fixed.
    As far as Im concerned anyone who was sprayed with that garbage should get a Purple Heart because in reality we were wounded by FRIENDLY FIRE--I don't want any medals but I wish the rest of the soldiers that were sprayed might get them.
    I saw a patch awhile that said ----
    " I WAS KILLED IN VIET NAM BUT I JUST HAVENT DIED YET!"
    Again--Im sorry for your loss and may he RIP.
    Morris