college instructor - resources for student

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by katy531, Mar 30, 2007.

1. katy531

katy531 New Member

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum, and not a veteran. I am a college instructor, and one of my students is a veteran. He recently told me about some mental health difficulties that began after his duties in Afghanistan, and I hope that participants in this forum can direct me to the best information about resources for him. His VA benefits have not kicked in yet, and they will not be available for a few months. (I don't know how that works, and rather than pursuing it, I would like to know about what's available to him immediately.)

As an instructor, I am very limited in the assistance I can provide. But I want to do something to help see him on the best track as soon as possible. He has no money and little time.

If this question is outside my role, please forgive me. As an instructor, I see it like this. He made the choice to attend college, is giving up much in order to succeed, and has the smarts not just to succeed, but wholly to excel if he can be healthier.

Please email me directly.

K
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The best thing you can do for him is point him to this website. It's the ole give a man a fish or teach him how to fish thing. Having said that, He can get medical care from the VA for free. As a returning combat veteran he has 2 years of free medical while he waits for his claims to be resolved. The VA has a tremendous wealth of mental health resources, which include Veterans Outreach Centers in numerous communities.

All he has to do is fill out a 10-10EZ on line and follow the instructions or print it out, and take it to any VAMC and present it along with a copy of his DD-214 at the reception desk and they'll start the process.
  3. Bertf

Bertf New Member

You need to check and see if there are any local veterans resources paid for by the county or state. Here on Long Island there are agencies that will counsel a veteran even as he awaits a VA ruling.
  4. katy531

katy531 New Member

Thank you

Thank you to both of you for your advice. I've told my student about your suggestions, and he says he will look into them. You have a great resource here. I feel more confident now that my student will be better off, and more confident that we can work through the course successfully, since there are concrete things he can do to make things go better for himself.
  5. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I am not an expert on this subject but it is my understanding that he must get his butt to the VA within (is it one or two years?). He gets a free ride and is entitled to any needed treatment. The current crop of vets is getting benefits that the older vets never got. The main thing is to get him into the system immediately.
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Bertf:

It's 2 years for any veteran returning from a combat zone.
  7. collegevet

collegevet New Member

Is there any way your University Health Services can help him immediately?

I am a student and we have mental health services and a pharmacy on campus (University of Wisconsin). You can get free counseling and a hefty discount on meds if they are rx'd by mental services.