Crdp?

Discussion in 'Disability' started by sapman, May 29, 2008.

1. sapman

sapman New Member

Howdy Folks! This is my first post, so go easy...

I have been on the TDRL as of December, 2006. I just went through my reevaluation and was placed on the PDRL in May 2008. I have a 60% disability from the Army, and a 70% disability from the VA. Non of my disabilities os combat related. I served for 16 years 1 month.

Here's my question (and yes, I just saw the HUUUGE section under CRDP, so don't beat me up for not posting there... sorry)...
    Do I qualify for CRDP under the current laws? I am led to believe I do qualify because I have an Army disability rating of 50% or more and I am considered retired.

Please help clear this up.... I wrote to my congressman about this and he sent exerpts from the bills that I can't seem to follow.

Also, are there other programs that will allow me to file for compensation based on my disabilities? I'm new to this game and need help.

Thanks!
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Simply put, the answer is no. The requirement is you must be retired .AND. have 20 years service in order to qualify for CRDP.

NDAA 2008 authorized CRSC, but not CRDP, for retiree's with less than 20 but your conditions must be combat related.
  3. bumblebee8472

bumblebee8472 New Member

but what about ch 61 medical retirees with less than 20 years
  4. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Crdp

Hi sapman
    Welcome here.

As TCM says, you need the 20years tenure for CRDP. However, I think that like CRSC the chapter 61's will be included in time once the legislation is suggested and passed. I believe it's a matter of time before it happens.
    What do you recon TCM.

By the way sapman. TCM is well versed and has accumulated a great deal of expertise in VA matters. Pay close attention to what he says and don't take him wrong as he is a straight shooter and eoes not beat about the bush. He is a great friend to have on your side. I for one have been helped immensely by him.

Hang in there!
  5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Sorry sapman, Chapt 61 with less than 20 years service not eligible for CRDP at all. You are eligible for CRSC and DoD has been accepting applications since Oct 08.
  6. sapman

sapman New Member

Thanks Folks!

I really appreciate the time taken to respond to my question. Thanks all and I hope to keep posting! :)
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No problem sapman. Glad to help. You said something "Also, are there other programs that will allow me to file for compensation based on my disabilities?" in an earlier post that I didn't address.

Every veteran can file for VA compensation. This has nothing to do with CRDP. In the case of retiree's, any VA compensation you receive is deducted from your retirement check. CRDP and CRSC are intended to replace what was taken away but Medical retiree's with less than 20 years of service are not entitled for CRDP. They can apply for CRSC, though.

Don't hesitate to apply for VA comp because it's not taxed and your retirement is. I took that tax free money for 25 years before the advent of CRDP.
  8. bumblebee8472

bumblebee8472 New Member

i hav less than twenty years in and i have 100% t&p for PTSD ami i eligible for crdp under chapter 61 just wondering if anyone could shine some light for me thanks.
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

You are not eligible for CRDP but you might be eligible for CRSC id any of your conditiond is Combat related.