Currently going through Medical Board...

Discussion in 'Active Duty' started by AFMarko99, Jun 4, 2007.

1. AFMarko99

AFMarko99 New Member

Hi.

My name is Mark. I am currently an active duty SSgt in the Air Force. I have been in a total of 8 1/2 years and have worked as a RADAR tech on the E-3 AWACS. I have been dealing with sinus and breathing problems for the past four years. I have had three sinus surgeries over my eight year career.

My sinus problems started when I was 14 after I broke my nose. Over the past four years I have had multiple problems with polyups and some sort of mucus growth in my maxillary sinuses. I had extremely bad sinus headaches and they have finally been relieved after my last surgery around a month ago.

I have had trouble breathing due to my sinuses and an anxiety problem from trying to manage my limited breathing. I have had tightness of my chest and a pounding heart during running, under stress, in gas mask, going quickly up a flight of stairs, etc.

My doctors have helped me tremendously over the past four years and have referred me to various doctors. I have been non-deployable for the past four years and have been waivered from timed running (Running part of PT test.). We have reached the end of troubleshooting and come to the conclusion that I am not fit for duty.

My case went in front of the local board two weeks ago and was pushed back untill tomorrow. They wanted an update from my Life Skills doctor which I visited today. My life skills doctor today kept telling me to be prepared to make a transition to civilian life.

Now after you have a little bit of history I am wondering what you guys think my outcome will be based on the above info. I am expecting some sort of medical discharge. I am hoping I receive a 30% disability rating from the military so I can get tricare.

I have done some homework in the past. I have visited the VA office on base and I was told to expect 40-60% rating from their doctors. I have looked at the disability ratings myself and believe I should be at about 40% from the VA. I am just worried about the military. I am married with two kids and didn't expect to get kicked out and not retire. I love the military and enjoy the benefits.

Any ideas?
  2. g81anderson

g81anderson New Member

Staying Active

Hello fellow SM. This is my first time in the forum and I found your questions/concerns interesting, and I thought I might have a few words of advice for you.

You may be going through a medical board, but during the board proceedings you will more than likely be asked if YOU believe you could remain on Active Duty. If so, tell them you wish to remain and why you feel you can still be of service to your respected branch.

Our country is at war, and will be for a while. Our Armed Forces are making changes and adapting greatly to its military members. I am in the Army, and I see soldiers remaining on active duty with prosthetic limbs, so I believe, personally, you should not have a problem staying in.

The Air force is different, but if all else fails, the Army would be glad to have you!!! I hope this helps. Try researching your options about staying active, and dont give up until you have what you want...or a DD Form 214 (j/k)
  3. lillygirl

lillygirl New Member

Since your problems started when you were 14 (before you joined) you may not be entitled to acompensation. Be careful. You have the option to convince the med board to let you stay in.
  4. maxtor

maxtor Member

Did you happen to disclose to the military that you had sinus problems before you entered active duty?? That is a big question right now in your C&P. If that problem existed prior to you entering active duty then you may have a problem with compensation. Now, if the surgeries worsened the problem then you might have a reprive.
  5. Jason

Jason New Member

Depends

Mark,

I am a former active duty JAG who was assigned to the PEB. I currently practice law in front of all Services PEB's.

The first step in determining your ratings will be deciding what conditions are unfitting. The criteria used is whether each condition separately causes you to be unable to reasonably perform the duties of your grade and AFSC. It sounds like your sinus problems are serious and likely limit your duty performance. If unfitting, it will be rated according to the VASRD:

General Rating Formula for Sinusitis (DC’s 6510 through 6514):

Following radical surgery with chronic osteomyelitis, or; near constant sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain and tenderness of affected sinus, and purulent discharge or crusting after
    repeated surgeries....................................................50

Three or more incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring
    prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or;
    more than six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis
    characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or
    crusting................................................................ 30

One or two incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring
    prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or;
    three to six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis
    characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge
    or crusting............................................................. 10

Detected by X-ray only.............................................. 0

The next condition will be your anxiety disorder. Does that interfere with the performance of your duties? If so, you will be rated on your degree of impairment of social and industrial adaptability. It is important to gather evidence of how your condition interferes with duty performance. This could be from your profile, evaluation reports, or statements from your Commander or supervisor.

As for your condition being possibly Existed Prior to Service (EPTS), Title 10 United States Code, Chapter 61 states that if you have more than eight years of service, you will be compensated for your conditions even if they are EPTS.

If you have more questions, you can look at the site my signature block.

Best of luck.