Currently going through Medical Board...

Discussion in 'Disability' started by AFMarko99, Jun 13, 2007.

1. AFMarko99

AFMarko99 New Member

I have left this post up in the Active Duty section for 10 days with no response so I figured I would give it a shot here.

Hi.

My name is Mark. I am currently an active duty SSgt in the Air Force. I have been in a total of 8 1/2 years and have worked as a RADAR tech on the E-3 AWACS. I have been dealing with sinus and breathing problems for the past four years. I have had three sinus surgeries over my eight year career.

My sinus problems started when I was 14 after I broke my nose. Over the past four years I have had multiple problems with polyups and some sort of mucus growth in my maxillary sinuses. I had extremely bad sinus headaches and they have finally been relieved after my last surgery around a month ago.

I have had trouble breathing due to my sinuses and an anxiety problem from trying to manage my limited breathing. I have had tightness of my chest and a pounding heart during running, under stress, in gas mask, going quickly up a flight of stairs, etc.

My doctors have helped me tremendously over the past four years and have referred me to various doctors. I have been non-deployable for the past four years and have been waivered from timed running (Running part of PT test.). We have reached the end of troubleshooting and come to the conclusion that I am not fit for duty.

My case went in front of the local board two weeks ago and was pushed back untill tomorrow. They wanted an update from my Life Skills doctor which I visited today. My life skills doctor today kept telling me to be prepared to make a transition to civilian life.

Now after you have a little bit of history I am wondering what you guys think my outcome will be based on the above info. I am expecting some sort of medical discharge. I am hoping I receive a 30% disability rating from the military so I can get tricare.

I have done some homework in the past. I have visited the VA office on base and I was told to expect 40-60% rating from their doctors. I have looked at the disability ratings myself and believe I should be at about 40% from the VA. I am just worried about the military. I am married with two kids and didn't expect to get kicked out and not retire. I love the military and enjoy the benefits.

**Update 13 June** My case was kicked back to Life Skills/Mental Health. Apparently the board doesn't like "Hunger in a gask mask." as a diagnosis.

Any ideas what will happen?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Hard to say. While the military is supposed to follow the VASRD, the same as the VA, they have a reputation for being substantially more conservative and they only consider conditions that make you unsuitable for additional service. You also aren't more specific about exactly what condition you've been diagnosed with or how disabling it might be. That can also be very subjective and will be up to your physician. Title 38 CFR § 4.97 (Respiratory Conditions) has several possible diagnostic codes. You'll have to decide yourself. Understand, you will only be awarded one of these.

6514 Sinusitis, sphenoid, chronic.

General Rating Formula for Sinusitis (DC's 6510 through 6514):

Following radical surgery with chronic osteomyelitis, or; near constant sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain and tenderness of affected sinus, and purulent discharge or crusting after repeated surgeries............................................. 50

Three or more incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; more than six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting................................. 30

One or two incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; three to six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting................................. 10

Detected by X-ray only................................. 0

Note: An incapacitating episode of sinusitis means one that requires bed rest and treatment by a physician.

6522 Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis:

With polyps................................................ 30

Without polyps, but with greater than 50-percent obstruction of nasal passage on both sides or complete obstruction on one side................................... 10

6523 Bacterial rhinitis:

Rhinoscleroma.............................................. 50

With permanent hypertrophy of turbinates and with greater than 50-percent obstruction of nasal passage on both sides or complete obstruction on one side....................... 10

6524 Granulomatous rhinitis:

Wegener's granulomatosis, lethal midline granuloma......... 100
    Other types of granulomatous infection..................... 20
  3. AFMarko99

AFMarko99 New Member

Thanks for the info.