DAV useless!

Discussion in 'Disabled American Veterans' started by Disabled-at-27, Jul 23, 2007.

1. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Well, that's not exactly so. The VA doesn't train any of the Service Officers. That's the responsibility of the organization they work for. Some do a better job and offer more training than others. It's been my observation the DAV has the most comprehensive training but not everyone gets it. Same with the other orgs. Some just waive their magic wand and others have standards. Some reps are paid, some are volunteers. All SO's are not cut from the same cloth. If you find one that you can work with and has the time, you've won the battle. Other times you get a SO that's not worth a tinkers damn. If you can't find a good one, that's when you take over your own claim.
  2. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

Then might I ask..... Who trains the trainers?... I understood that the curriculum and procedures are purely Governmental. The training is suppose to allow the SO ,at the regional and national level, as well as 67 PA Veterans Affairs Directors to be accredited to handle these cases. They have to follow procedures laid in place under the VA. Whether or not the person is a good representative is another story... kinda like.. "Are all teachers, good teachers?"

I do know the SO's at the Chapter or Post level are volunteers. I also know that the ones at regional at 1000 Liberty Ave. Pittsburgh are paid. It is a low paying job for the responsibilities they are expected to perform. I have to assume that the ones at the National level are also compensated. It is a window shopping experience for the VA as they come up against the SO's at hearings and can glean the best they come up against, to hire them into their fold. This leaves the Dedicated ones and the deficient ones in the SO positions. God bless them all.
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Sometimes nobody, yet everyone. I'll relate an experience from my own background. After I retired from the Navy, I got a job as a maintenance machinist. The shop superintendant started an apprenticeship program and needed a trade instructor. They hired one from outside but he wasted 6 mos and bailed out on them. The general foreman detailed me to the job because no one wanted it. He chose me because I had devoted a lot of time, since comming to the shop, helping other employees with learning new skills. I had a natural curiosity, read everything I could get my hands on and pestered all the old timers till they taught me their skills. I used my knowledge to help other employees. Sometimes the teacher teaches himself. Those with natural ability and curiosity rise to the top and show themselves in a variety of ways. A skilled manager recognises his employee's skills and takes advantage of them. I suspect the very best reps learn their craft by reading, practicing and seeking advice where they can get it. In the best of worlds, these guys mentor others.

On the other hand I know a senior DRO that just retired from the VA and has gone to work for the American Legion as a Service Officer. Sometimes these things work the other way around.

It doesn't always work out that way, but hopefully it does often enough. The alternative is the Peter Principle where everyone rises to their level of incompetance.
  4. SFC Ret

SFC Ret New Member

Some DAV reps have case loads to do that they skim over some of the important points. I did not know about some of the disability ratings and what to file a claim on because I trusted the DAV agent to do that for me. Well, come to find out the agent missed my DM2 rating by 10%... Since I am taking Metformin, it is considered to be 20% rated not 10%. The agent missed my High Blood Pressure rating since I am also taking Lisinopril; which should be at minimum 10%. When I try to calculate what I should have been getting, it would have been at least a 50% rating but have been a bit short changed so to speak because of the lack of attention to detail by the DAV agent.

Long story short - she is no longer with the DAV here.... not concerned why, but at least I won't have to deal with it.

Another agent took my case and spotted the errors and resubmitted my claims. At least I can say this... It really depends on who you are working with and how much knowledge they have based on past cases or learned knowledge of the regulations. From my experience, I can say that they are an asset to ALL Veterans and we should support them.
  5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

A good Service Officer (SO) can be a god send, On the other hand, a bad one can be a nightmare. Typically, the DAV reps are better than most because of their opportunity for training but that doesn't mean they are infallible. All SO's are not cut from the same cloth.

When choosing a SO, get references from other vets. interview several, see who returns your calls but understand, they are not going to hold your hand. Some SO's are simply overwhelmed with the amount of claims they have to process. Get rid of any SO you have trouble working with. Finding a good SO can be a crap shoot without a recommendation from someone you trust.

Even if you have a good rep, you need to stay in control of your claim. Maintain a file at home with all the originals. Send the SO only copies. Some get really upset when you start calling the toll free number or making IRIS inquiries. Say goodbye to them.

I know of some geographic area's their performance is absolutely abysmal and the vet simply needs to get smart about the process. Forums like VRO can help you understand the process and perhaps point you in the right direction.
  6. Sgt D

Sgt D New Member

I had the DAV as my rep, however I never heard anything from them on any claim that was filed. I started doing my own thing after reading up on how to do them and went from 20% to 60%. I have had one claim disapproved and now have submitted a NOD with more evidence. Reading forums like this one gives you the basic info and the places to find more info. I belive it's your claim and the outcome has a lo to do with your own research. If you can find a VSO that will take as much interest in your claim as you do then by all means use them. Sgt D
  7. TacomaSmoke

TacomaSmoke New Member

I agree. The only one I ask is my hire VA attorney, they will rep you for free. Anything attach ton the VA like the DAV is for the VA..