Disability for Prostate Cancer

Discussion in 'Cancer' started by tsprks, Feb 17, 2008.

1. tsprks

tsprks New Member

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in October and only a couple of weeks ago found out that due to his serving in Vietnam that he was eligible for disability based on the use of agent orange. He had surgery on 2/14 to remove his prostate. He was scheduled to meet with a case worker on 2/13 to file his disability claim but due to a winter storm she canceled the appointment and told him that it wouldn't make a difference in his claim. Is this the case? Will he still be able to qualify even though she will be submitting his claim after his surgery?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

It does make a difference but won't affect his eligibility. The date he files the claim will become the effective date and that date will determine how much back pay he gets. If I were you, I would have him call the local VA Regional Office and make a verbal claim. Follow it up with a letter stating the same. This will establish the earliest effective date possible. You can then take your time getting in a formal claim through your VSO.

You can contact the local VARO here:1-800-827-1000 This number will reroute to the local VARO.

You can find the mailing address here: http://www1.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp?isFlash=1
  3. Cuda1956

Cuda1956 New Member

Prostate Cance - Service Connected Disability

I’m new to this forum and searching for some info concerning Prostate Cancer. I entered the Army in 1979 and retired in Nov 2004. I was diagnosed with low risk prostate cancer in Oct 2010. I'm trying to determine if my PC is service connected (Gulf War). I have done extensive research but have not seen anything which attributes PC to Gulf War service. Last year I opted to have the prostate removed and requested robotic arm surgery. The Hampton VA Center does not perform that type of surgery so I was given a consult to the Richmond VA Center. The Urologist there reviewed my records and suggested that surgery wasn’t necessary and recommended active surveillance with annual biopsy’s. My most recent biopsy came back negative – thank goodness! I am not on any type of medication, but I do have some problems with frequent urination and ED. I was wondering can I claim my prostate cancer as being service connected? Any advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.