dong ha mountain

Discussion in 'Find a Veteran' started by jokurone, Nov 14, 2004.

1. robert fredrick

robert fredrick New Member

2. gary veach

gary veach New Member

Hi, Gary Veach in North Carolina. I was with C 1/11, 5th Mech, Aug 3, 1969-Aug 3, 1970. although a mechanized division, we were infantry and pulled security on the mountain probably 2 or 3 times rotating with our sister companies. It was a good duty for us as it got us out of the jungle, until mid 1970, when D company was on the mountain and received mortar and 122 rockets continuous for weeks, they also fought off a ground attack. Hueys always brought us in and extracted us until this attack in which the troops had to come down on foot due to all of the in-coming.
    We also spent a little time at C2 and A4. Since these were fire support bases and well fortified I felt pretty safe there. We had left A4 once and later learned a 122 rocket made a direct hit on one of the sand bag enforced bunkers and there were many casualties.
  3. brett wooddy

brett wooddy New Member

I was on fuller late 69 to around may 70. Buck Weringay and I went up to fuller a week before the army took over from the marines. We set up the sensor monitoring in the old marine medic bunker. Later on we dug in a commo van on top of the hill and set up the big antenna. We had all been eating c rats until they sent up two cooks for a field kitchen. The very first night for a hot meal we were lined up and then the first mortars started falling, That was the start of the siege of FB fuller. I believe it was D 1/11 and the CO was Cpt Blunt who was there at the time.
  4. brett wooddy

brett wooddy New Member

I was there from around september 69 to May 70. Did the sensor monitoring.