Early retirement and Disability

Discussion in 'Social Security' started by Rattruck, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Rattruck

Rattruck New Member

I am 59+. I am a 90% disabled vet who has a pending claim which should allow me to get to the 100% by schedule. I have difficulty with pain management. I am an accountant and my work performance is being affected either by pain or pain medications. I would like to work but only part-time.

My plan is to work 20-30 hours per week until I get to age 62, At that time I will apply for early retirement and at the same time apply for social security disability. I hope to be able to collect the early retirement payments (~75% of the full benefit) until the application process and appeal process (if necessary) is complete and I am awarded disability payments.

Is it allowable to collect early retirement and to then get social security disability?

P.S.:

I have sciatic nerve damage due to a service connected gun shot wound,
    * loss of use of left leg,
    * degenerative arthritis of both ankles, both knees, both hips, lumbar spine, thoracic spine, back and both shoulders
    * sciolosis of lumbar and thoracic spine
    * carpal tunnel syndrone - bilateral
    * Diabetes, type 2
    * Coronary artery disease - post triple bi-pass surgery (1999)
    * Hypertension
    * Sleep Apnea - BiPap machine
    * Peripheral neuropathy - left leg

Thanks,
    Bob T
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

BoB:

I don't make any claims to being a SS expert but being I'm approaching 65 in short order, I've been looking into my options. As I under stand it, drawing a private retirement should not affect your eligibility for SSDI. Even Bill Gates would be eligible if he were disabled. Federal disability retirement plans are affected by SSDI though and some private plans are as well. Make sure there are no offsets on that end.
  3. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

Ssdi

:cool:I am on SSDI and draw a small pension too. I get the max on my SSDI and have an offset of $47 beacuse I am drawing a pension,so they reduce my SSDI by that amount. I just turned 60 today and have been on SSDI for 3 years now. You will have an offset with a private pension and they base it on a certain % :eek::eek:
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

vnvetlester:

I can't find one thing on the SSA site indicating SSDI is offset by a private pension. That would be true wrt SSI but I can't find anything on SSDI. Can you point to a specific link indicating such an offset?

SSDI payments are based on qualified SS earnings/taxes and the only offset I know of is for pensions based on earnings where SS taxes aren't collected. Typically, these are government salaries but there are still a few other holdouts. Some older educators come to mind. I can't imagine any offset to SSDI other than the ones I've listed.

SSI is a needs based program and most income will offset SSI.
  5. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Happy birthday, Walter.
  6. Rattruck

Rattruck New Member

Sorry, but my question was not clear.
    I want to apply for the early social security retirement at age 62, not a private retirement.

Can someone get social security payments (age 62, which would be 75% of full payment at age 66) and file for social security disability? Social security disability is equal to full retirement benefits.

Bob T
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Bob:

OK, as I understand it, you want to apply for reduced SS at age 62 .AND. before reaching full SS age at 66, you want to apply for SSDI. Do I have that correct?

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be anything to preclude doing just that. My observations of the SSDI process indicates it is a pretty tough sell. AIUI, most applicants are denied on first attempt and wind up appealing with the help of an attorney. Don't know if that's a system wide problem or just that the incidences I'm most familiar with are specious in the first place.

Asking the 1-800 number for SSA is a waste of time. The folks want to be helpful but simply have no clue. A search of the SS regulations at 20 CFR Part 404 didn't turn up anything contradictory. Attempting to prove a negative can be problematic. Statutes and regs generally aren't written that way.

In the end, I can't find anything to preclude doing as you suggest.

FWIW, I did get verbal confirmation from the SSA that private pensions do not cause an offset in SSDI payments. On the odd chance you expected to draw reduced SS at 62 .AND. SSDI concurrently, that's not going to happen.