Education: The GI Bill Application Process

Discussion in 'Education Benefits' started by knewheart, Apr 6, 2006.

1. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

4 Easy Steps to getting your benefits.

If you haven't used your benefits yet, you may be put off by the application process. Fear not - if you follow the 4 easy steps, you'll find that the process is simple and painless.

The application process for receiving your monthly GI Bill benefits is much simpler than you may think. Depending on the school you are applying to, the process could take you 4 steps, or less!

Step One
    Find and apply to a college or university that is approved for VA training or education. If you are not clear on this point, the VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.

Note: Most regionally and nationally accredited colleges and universities are approved by the VA.

Step Two
    Complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. Your school's registrar's office usually has copies of the form on hand.

If you are Active Duty you will need to have your Education Service Officer or Command representative complete and sign Section II of the VA Form 22-1990.

*In addition you should speak to a counselor in your Voluntary Education Services Office to determine if you are eligible to participate in the GI-Bill Buy-up program before you start using your GI Bill. It could be worth up to an extra $5,400 in benefits.

If you are a Veteran you will need to include a copy of your DD 214 Discharge Paperwork.

If you are a member of the Selective Reserve you may need to include a copy of DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility which was given to you by your unit when you became eligible for the MGIB-SR.

Step Three
    In most cases the school will send your application along with their paperwork to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the State or area where you will train. This will expedite the process. However if you have not found a school yet, you can still apply for your VA Eligibility Determination by mailing your completed VA Form 22-1990 to your VA Regional Office.

Click here to find the address for your VA Regional Office.

Within 4-8 weeks you should receive a declaration of eligibility and a letter explaining your VA GI Bill benefits. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon to get a letter from the VA requesting more information. You will have to answer the VAs requests to be determined eligible and complete the process.

Step Four
    Once you have begun to receive your benefit checks (Direct Deposit) you will have to complete the Vas Web Automated Verification of Eligibility (WAVE) each month to continue to receive your monthly benefits payments.

The WAVE is a simple process that requires you to either log-on to the VA WAVE website or call their toll-free number at 1-888-GIBILL-1. It only takes a couple of minutes, but you will not get your monthly payment until you do.

These four simple steps will lead to over $35,000 in education benefits -- the ones you paid for! It's well worth the effort, so don't wait until it is too late, get started today!

Getting Started
    If you haven't found a "Military Friendly" school that is VA-approved, then the best way to get started is Military.com's "School Finder", which will help you get information from fully accredited "military friendly" colleges and universities that are VA-approved and experienced with the VA process.
    http://www.military.com/SchoolFinder/Search/1,14302,,00.html
  2. waltnavy

waltnavy New Member

I realy don't have a place to stay when I start college this fall and would like to stay in the dorm, will voc rehab pay for the monthly rent
  3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Voc Rehab generally bays for books, materials. tuition along with a monthly stipend. Never heard of them paying rent, I think that's what the stipend is for.
  4. Guarango

Guarango New Member

I went to University in England for a Law degree and graduated with honors. The VA did not approve the course though the University is one of the oldest oin the world. My request for educational benefits was denied. I was lucky enough for my employer at the time paying for a good prtion of it. If it hadn't been for then I would still be uneducayed. Funny, a foreighn Government halping me more than the country I served for 16 years including Viet-Nam.
  5. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Sorry about the spelling. My hands slipped. Really!!
  6. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Guarango,I believe you!! I look back at things I've posted and get really embarrassed.The Army paid for my son to go to school to become a pilot.They did NOT however pay for any of the actual air time.He was getting by by working and eating peanutbutter cheese crackers and coffee.He shared rent with 6 other guys.When he met Molly he decided that she deserved a much better life than he could give her.He thought that she should get to eat real food and not have to live a bunch of grubby guys.He changed classes to become a Robotics and Laser Engineer.Just make sure to check that they'll pay for all of the things you need.
  7. Jabandoo

Jabandoo New Member

Well the VA did not, accept the course though the School is one of the earliest oin the globe.
    My demand, for academic advantages was declined. I was lucky enough for my company
    at enough time spending for a excellent prtion of it.