half way through this conundrum

Discussion in 'Disability' started by diveinto1, Apr 17, 2006.

1. diveinto1

diveinto1 New Member

I blew out a knee and ankle while in the service. Now 12 years later I decided it was time to file. went through the 1 1/2 year process to be given 10%.
    I guess they could have continued to just say no, but they didn't address the damage done to other joints over the last 12 years.
    So the two questions being.
    Do I continue possible comp. on undocumented but obviously related problems?
    and How to go about receiving back pay of some sort for the last 12 years that I've been dealing with this?
    If anyone can help, I appreciate it.
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

You could pursue a claim for other joints based on altered gait cause by SC knee. I suspect you are going to have a tough time with it and would recommend you find a physician willing to provide a diagnosis of a compensable condition and be willing to state other joint problems caused as likely as not by SC knee. He will have to back up his claim by medical facts.

If you don't have a private physician, the VA will do this for you at a C&P exam but it will be their opinion.
  3. diveinto1

diveinto1 New Member

I appreciate you getting back to me.
    Is there any way for me to get back anything for the 12 years I was dealing with this before I finally did something about it?
    Thanks again for any help you can offer.
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Well, not likely in this case. The concept of "back pay" does exist but the VA is only required to bay back to the earliest date you made them aware of the condition or the date they should have been aware. In this case, it's the date of your original claim.