Help Help Help

Discussion in 'Disability' started by Disabled-at-27, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Disabled-at-27

Disabled-at-27 New Member

Does anyone know who I can talk to besides, VA Rep, DAV, Congressman. I have had a claim for IU about 13 months now and cannot find the status. I have had paperwork sent in 5 times and the VA "loses it". My claim has not been looked at fo awhile and nobody can seem to find out why it hasnt moved. Currently I am 80% disabled, Payable at 70% and filed for IU June 2006 and it has been defered because they said they havent recieved my cardiology paperwork that has been sent in 5 times. Nobody I have taked to can give me the simple amswer of "has my medical proof been recieved since last Oct".
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

A good Service Officer (SO) can be a god send, On the other hand, a bad one can be a night mare. Typically, the DAV reps are better than most because of their opportunity for training but that doesn't mean they are infallible. All SO's are not cut from the same cloth. When choosing a SO, get references from other vets. interview several, see who returns your calls but understand, they are not going to hold your hand. Some SO's are simply overwhelmed with the amount of claims they have to process.

Even if you have a good rep, you need to stay in control of your claim. Maintain a file at home with all the originals. Send the SO only copies. I know of some area's their performance is absolutely abysmal and the vet simply needs to get smart about the process. That sounds like you and forums like VRO can help you understand the process and perhaps point you in the right direction.

Now, your cardiology paperwork, either send another copy, return receipt requested, to the VARO or call and make an appointment to hand carry them to the mail room at the VARO yourself. The organization your SO belongs to maintains a permanent office at the VARO. If all else fails, hand carry the evidence to that office.

I don't know why the VA says they don't have the documents, sometimes they're right in your c-file and no one knows it. Sometimes the VSO fails to forward them. At this point it doesn't help to piss n moan about it. You need to move this thing forward. Perhaps you could also send the evidence to one of your legislators with an explanation and request they deliver them and get a receipt.

One last suggestion and probably the best thing to do is talk with the agency that holds your cardiology documents, get whatever document they require for release of information. Fill it out, sign it and send it to the VA and your SO along with the contact info for that agency and tell the VA to get the records from the source themselves. Send it RRR. Keep all originals. Send them copies.You could also get your legislators to hand deliver these.

I can't tell you why and I usually don't worry about why. It's not all that important. It's the how that's important.