Help W/disability

Discussion in 'Active Duty' started by MARKO, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MARKO

MARKO New Member

I’m an active duty soldier been in service for almost 10 years. I was deployed to Iraq and Kosovo before, and I don’t have anything but good words for all the service members deployed all over the world.
    While in basic training I suffered a knee injury, my knee cap came out of place I was treated back then with pain killers and ice. Over the years I had several issues on the same knee, although I tried to avoid the clinic mostly because I was trying to make rank Until recently I could not take it no more and had a knee surgery, I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis since it is so advanced I was told that there is not that much they can do for me that I will have to learn to live with the occasional pain and eventually I will need a knee replacement. I have a seven month post operation recovery time, after which I was told that most likely because of the degree of injury I have in the knee I will have to get med board.
    Over the years I have also developed a Plantar Fasciitis case due to the constant running and road marching, for the past several years I been having corticoid shots once in a while to control the pain. I tried everything even had a bone scan to see what is going on with my heels still the same and even got worse.
    I will have to decide within the next 3 months wethear to stay in with a permanent profile or get medical boarded as my physician is recommending me. Now if I get out is there anybody that knows what percentage I might be getting from VA? Has anybody out there got out of the service because of Knee osteo arthritis and Plantar Fasciitis? What percentage are they getting?. I have a family therefore I’m trying to see all my options
  2. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Stay in. You are never sure what the VA will do until they've done it. The active duty benefits are not equaled by the VA. If you get to the point you can no longer tolerate AD then get out and your disability will still be the same.