Help.....

Discussion in 'Disability' started by lulabelle93, Jan 21, 2005.

1. lulabelle93

lulabelle93 New Member

My father was a vietnam veteran exposed to agent orange and has been diagnosed with chloracne when he was in his 20's. He pasted away on Dec 20, 2004 at 62 years old. Still young. He has suffered for over 40 years from the affects of Agent Orange with lungs, kidneys, liver, chloracne, colitis, IBS... When the Agent Orange settlement was going on he received a letter stating when he was deceased his survivor would receive the settlement. My mother is his survivor and they are now saying the settlement was closed in 1997. They never helped my father when he was alive by giving him what he deserved for the suffering he endured, I just want my mother to get what my father rightfully should have. Please help me and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tammy
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Lulabelle:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. We're getting older now and we know what the future holds.

The settlement you spoke of is in fact closed. It was a settlement based on a private lawsuit against the manufacturers of herbacides used in Vietnam. It is not a Government or Veterans Administration Program. The funds were distributed to the registered participants years ago and depleted. The action is now closed. You can go here for the particulars. http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/Herbicide/AOno2.htm

Understand that this information appears on a VA web site but there is no liability in this regard to the VA.

On the other hand, if your father had chloracne while in Vietnam or within one year of leaving there, he may have been entitled to Service Connection (SC) for it. Now that he has passed on, there is no more entitlement to compensation for the veteran.

However, your mother may be entitled to Dependants Indemnity Compensation (DIC) if you can prove your father was entitled to SC on the basis of chloracne or any other of the conditions which may be on the presumptive list for AO exposure, providing his military medical records support treatment or his civilian medical records indicate a diagnosis of one of the presumptive conditions. Your father would also have had to serve in-country Vietnam. This precludes aircrews based outside and most bluewater navy service.

What you really need to do now is contact one of the Veterans Service organizations and obtain the services of a Service Officer. They're free, and can help you navigate the claims system. We can provide advice for you here but, If you haven't done this before you'll need some one locally to walk you thru the process.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions.
  3. lulabelle93

lulabelle93 New Member

Thank you very much for your information. I really appreciate it.
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No problem, we're here to assist veterans and their families navigate the VA benefits system. If you want help, need to understand something or just want to talk about it, sombody will do that with you.
  5. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

TinCanMan, I must say that I've been on alot of Veterans forums, but the way you handled such a request for help, on a very unpleasant situation, was very gracious to say the least. I already get the impression that this comment means aboslutely nothing to you, as it should, because I know you give everyone the same effort I'm sure. Lulabelle93 will get a prayer from me, and I'll tip my hat to you. This kind of caring response you gave makes me proud to be a vet and may I be given the opportunity, to be as good a guy as you are.
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Rick:

Hand salute... tu
  7. GiJane

GiJane New Member

To TinCanMan

I agree.
    You gave some darned good advice.
    I am proud to be a part of this group.
    I am another 'one that does care'.