Help !

Discussion in 'Homeless Veterans Information' started by Paul C. Bracken, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Paul C. Bracken

Paul C. Bracken New Member

:confused: I am currently living at the VA in Temple, TX., staying at the Domiciliary. I am homeless and have been for 7 years. I am also a recovering addict/alcoholic, with only 100 days clean. I was told last week that I would not be accepted into the Voc. Rehab part of the Dom. And I was also told that I could address my issues on an out-patient basis. They say that I don't qualify for the Health Maint. part of the Dom. My issues are digenerative disc's in my back, no carteledge in my r. shoulder and carpol tunel in both wrists. I am also bi-polar. How can I address my issues as an out patient if I can't work and put a roof over my head and food in my stomach? Do they expect me to live in a mission or outside on the ground. If I do that I know that I will relapse and lose the only thing I have (my sobriety). I know that my disabilities are severe enough to qualify for the Health Maint. , . I have a claim in for SSDI and my case looks pretty good, but no income at all right now. I feel that I am being thrown to the wolves by the VA.
    I guess what I am wanting to know is how far from completion is the Beacon House in Waco, TX.. I would be willing to help work on it for a place to stay. have experience with floor coverings and painting, but because of my back I would not be able to do the flooring. Heck, I don't know what to do, I don't even know if writing this letter is worth it. Things look pretty hopeless, is there anything that anybody can do for me! PLEASE. Thank you, Paul
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Paul:

Sorry to hear of your problems and I'm not sure how much help I can offer. I searched around and found these services for single homeless men in the Central Texas area. Most are in/around Austin. Check out this link: http://www.main.org/standdown/query/sdHitlist.php

Another option would be to check out Catholic Charities here: http://www.austindiocese.org/ccctx/assistance.htm

Some of them offer a more permanant residence.You'll need that till you can make the proper claims for veteran's compensation based on disability or SSDI.
  3. johnnya

johnnya New Member

Paul

Have you tried to call VVnW National Headquarters @ 1-800-VIETNAM?
    Ask them how the project is going and if a completion date is near.

The contact person for VVnW Post TX-06 is National Board Member Vic Felts in Waco, this is the post that oversees the Beacon House.

National should be able to give you some answers.

Lots of luck
  4. Yamabushi

Yamabushi New Member

Mr. Bracken,

At this time we are in the process of trying to put together a Beacon House in Waco Texas. So, at this time there is not one open as of yet but, we are still in negotiations with the VA on leasing a facility on the Waco VA campus.

There is a Beacon House in Shreveport Louisiana, if this would interest you. Please feel free to email me and I will advise or help you in any way I can.

Thank You
    Vic Felts
  5. johnnya

johnnya New Member

Vic

Thanks for getting back to Paul with a quick reply and an answer of where he may find some help.
  6. lifepolicyinfo1

lifepolicyinfo1 New Member

Good to hear that there are still kind heart out there that are willing to help and give advises to the needy one just like Mr. Bracken wherein he doesn't know where to go and what to do. Hope the process will push through and will help more people.