husband with anxiety

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by benny, May 17, 2007.

1. benny

benny New Member

Ever since my husband has left the army, I noticed that he's suffering from over anxiety!!! He went to the doctor who prescribed him with PURECALM TINCTURE FOR ANXIETY. well, i looked for the medicine at local pharmacies but found none. well, it's true also that the doctor i went to is a foreigner so he may have prescribed something from his country of origin [which i don't know] anyway, in a rush, i've ordered Purecalm from a canadian online pharmacy http://www.drugdelivery.ca and i'm waiting for it to come but i'm now very worried about it. has anyone ever used that pharmacy ? is it any good?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I'm not a doctor and can't provide medical advice. I think your husband should find a physician licensed to practice in the U.S. Purecalm appears to be an herbal consisting of Melissa Officinalis and Lavender. It appears to be used in Europe but not in the U.S. Melissa Officinalis has interactions with prescription drugs and can cause dizziness. Purchasing drugs from offshore merchants can be risky at best. There's no guarantee of quality or contamination. There is also the problem of degradation during improper storage. Personally, I wouldn't do this.
  3. janderson06

janderson06 New Member

I would suggest that your husband go to the VA. the va doctors see alot of this. i have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and recieve prescriptions. It has helped. Good luck, God Bless
  4. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

I agree with TinCanMan and janderson06.I would find a Dr that prescribes something that you can get at your local pharmacy.You can get into a real mess using something that interacts with other meds an/or could cause an allergy.If he were to have a reaction and the Drs. caring for him were unaware of him taking this it could cause even further problems.I've heard Wellbutrin works well for anxiety and even has helped SOME people quit smoking.I'm sure a Dr could order just exactly what your hubby needs.You should use the Va hospitals because your husband has earned that.Anyway I hope that everyone in your family will be ok.
  5. ramonaquimby

ramonaquimby New Member

Your husband should definetly get a PTSD screening at his regional VA facility. My husband was a viet nam vet, and they did a routine screening for it during his regular physical. Was your husband in active duty somewhere? If so, he could be having anxiety because of his experience of war.

I totally agree with the others, on NOT trying purecalm - it could make matters worse than better.
  6. courier70

courier70 New Member

Your husband may want to ask his doctor about prescribing Effexor or Cymbalta which not only help the anxiety but also the often accompanying depression.

courier70
  7. rainvet

rainvet New Member

I went to see a foreign doctor/ caretaker ....................

This has become a big problem for the VA and Veterans these days. a lots of Vet don't like there foreign caretakers because neither one can understand each others languages.

You may also want to seek a caretaker who you can hear and be able to understand what your concern are and if not, you need to maybe change caretaker of your likeness ................... RainVet .....
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

For what it's worth. My VA PCP is Indian. He served with the Indian Navy. I have no problem understanding him. My private Family Practice Physician is Lebanese, I have no problem understanding him. My last C&P was conducted by an Afrikaner with a very thick accent. Exam took 10 minutes. We shot the shit for the next hour. Very interesting man. Where a man is from is seldom a measure of his ability.
  9. rainvet

rainvet New Member

TinCanMan, I'm glad to hear that your doing well with your caretakers, but for a lots of Vets using the VA care system, they are having big problem with each others who can't understand what one is saying and meaning to each others and its well document at the VA's and not just hear say.... RainVet
  10. Onibas

Onibas New Member

I agreed with everyone, your husband should go to the VA and be treated asap. Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, and Clonazepan are good medications for his symptoms. Don't waste time. I almost committed suicide twice and I was lucky to find good doctors that helped me. Good luck to you and your family.