I have a question...

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by SFC Rick, Sep 7, 2004.

1. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

I have heard that some vets get Hypertension as a service connected disability. I wonder if that would be the same for me since I have arteriosclerotic heart disease at 30% or would high blood pressure fall under that disability. I had the heart attacks within two months of medical seperation hence the service connection for the heart trouble. So I'm curious if someone can splain it to me.
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Hypertension has been awarded as both a direct disability or as secondary to DMII under some conditions. I don't know if it would be secondary to arteriosclerotic heart disease and if it were, is it considered the same body part. That's probanly a good question for c.
  3. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

Thanks for the reply TinCanMan, I also have service connection on my DMII so I suppose it could get complicated if they tried to figure it out.
  4. rainvet

rainvet New Member

SFC RICK ;
    Rick I'm have a claim in with the VA and hope to hear from them anyday now. I'm showing the VA with Medical research that Heart Disease and Hypertention are secondary to Ptsd . I know that some Vets have won there Claims ,while others didn't.
    I'm not a DMII but am service connected 70% Ptsd and then VA rated me 10% Anixety
    Disorder which turned into Ptsd after I got out of the Army in 1970. GOD Bless you Sir.
    Drafted US Army Vietnam War Vets 68/69 .Service my two yrs and returned home without saying anything bad about any other soldier and did not protest the War either. Service in Corp III which was the heavy sprayed area in Vietnam During my Tour
    of duty. GOD sent me there and by the Grace of GOD he brouth me by home safety.
  5. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

Thanks rainvet!

Thanks for the info and I hope your claim works out alright. I'm currently rated 40% DDD, 30% Heart, 30% PTSD, 10% DMII, with SMC K for the ED, total of 70% combined "IU" P&T. It's kinda confusing even for me. All of this happened within a couple of years of being medically seperated from the Army in 2000. I was wondering why they haven't said anything about my Blood pressure problems being service connected to any of the mentioned problems they already listed.
  6. stumpy

stumpy New Member

SFC Rick, as you are drawing 100% VA compensation it might not be smart to reopen your claim for high blood pressure. Once you reopen your claim, the VA can look at all your disabilities and there is always the chance of a down grade. If I was at the top of the heap the VA would never hear from me again.
  7. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

You are right stumpy, the more I think about it, the less I'm inclined to ask them.
  8. tomsubic

tomsubic New Member

9. Camposhm

Camposhm New Member

Hi guys this is my my first post. Notusre if this is the place to ask. I have a 30 % disability on my left knee. I have over the past 25 years sice my discharge from the corps instances wher my knee has given way causing me to fall. On one of these falls I received an injury to my lower back. Presently I found out I have a compresed disk and I do have medical evidence of the fall and the back injury. Can one make a claim for the back injury with the causaltive agent being the left knee condition or is this a stretch.
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I suppose you might be able to make that stick provided a physician is willing to state that your back condition is the result of your fall and that your fall was the result of your knee condition. Your back condition would also have to be compensable and not just transient in nature. I'd suspect your fall would have to be verifiable as well.