I know a guy

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by pathfinder74, Dec 12, 2008.

1. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

I posted this in the Diabetes forum but I suspect that area doesn't get as much traffic as the GD...

I know a guy that went through the entire Naval Academy and just before he was commissioned he was diagnosed with Diabetes.

Is he entitled to any kind of medical benefits or compensation or is he pretty much SOL?

He said they told him he's not... I'm guessing because he was never actually an active duty sailor...

Any chance he wasn't told the entire truth?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I saw it there pathfinder but didn't answer because I wasn't sure although I believe he's qualified. I wanted to talk to a friend about it first. In any event, I'd certainly submit a claim. The worst you can hear is a no.
  3. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

Would they need paperwork from a PEB/MEB and/or a DD214?
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

If he has a DD-214 he would certainly be entitled to VA benefits. If he went thru the MEB/PEB process, that would seem to imply military service and if he did go thru it he would have been given either separation pay if under 30% disabled or a disability retirement if 30% or greater. For someone just diagnosed with diabetes, I wouldn't imagine it was over 20% but I'm no doctor.

What does your friend have to say?
  5. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

He said they told him he wasn't qualified for disability because he was put out just before being commissioned. I don't know who told him that. I'm sure he didn't "get" diabetes while in school, or more accurately he didn't get diabetes "from" being in school. But I'm sure he didn't have it before he was accepted to the academy... they do a physical and all that I'm sure so he would have been disaqualified before even getting that for.

I'm pretty sure he graduated the Naval academy, and they just didn't go further than that.

I'm just wondering if while he was in the Naval Academy if that's considered military service and would therefore qualify him for disability.
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I'm just wondering if while he was in the Naval Academy if that's considered military service. I don't know for sure, I always thought it was. If he has a dd-214, it is military service. Does he have one? Did he go thru MEB/PEB.
  7. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

Not sure of either... I need to ask him. I would have thought it was military service too. I don't know if they go through any kind of basic training. I think their military service might begin once their commissioned... I'll have to ask him.