In the event

Discussion in 'Incarcerated Veterans Help' started by networker67, Oct 10, 2004.

1. networker67

networker67 New Member

You are incarcerated and you receive VA Disability Compensation benefits, it is important that you notify your VA Regional Office immediately. Incarcerated service connected veterans by law do not lose their benefits. Now if you receive a NON-SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY PENSION, you forfeit your benefits while incarcerated.

Here's where you sit:

1. If you have dependents, you can have your benefits apportioned to them. Beware THEY MUST QUALIFY for the apportionment.

2. If you are a single veteran, you will be reduced to 10% rate effective the 61st day of your imprisonment.

3. If you receive only the 10% Rate, you will be reduced to ONE-HALF of the 10% rate.

Some States have liasion officers within the Department of Corrections, to assist veterans that are imprisoned. In my State, if you are in a minimum security facility, rated over 50%, and near a VA Facility, they will take you to the VA Facility to receive medical care. This saves them money so they do it.

When you are released YOU MUST AGAIN NOTIFY VA so your full benefit can be restored.

Unless your SC Condition drastically worsens while locked up, I wouldn't file any new claims. But I would make sure my Corrections Medical file includes any flare ups of the conditions. And if treated while incarcerated, I would make sure I left with a copy of those medical records.

IF YOU DO NOT NOTIFY VA, ALL FULL BENEFITS RECEIVED AFTER THE 61ST DAY OF INCARCERATION WILL BE RECOUPED AND YOU WILL HAVE A LARGE OVERPAYMENT