Independant living service program

Discussion in 'Education Benefits' started by rickb054, Nov 3, 2006.

1. rickb054

rickb054 New Member

Why is it that no matter what web cite I go information about this subject is so scarce? Most web cites link back to the va cite, which offers little to no information. Would be nice if there was somewhere we could find examples of the services that the va offers under this program. I mean detailed examples, of written plans, not one word examples.....
  2. jimmymac2

jimmymac2 New Member

Rick,

I am not sure what you are asking for that is quite common and not meant to me a dig on you! Most vets want an answer yesterday and have little patience.
    I found this earlier while searching for something else.

http://www.caregiver.com/magazine/florida/2006/sept-oct/veterans_benefits.htm

Read it completely! You must be 100% disabled but this may help you be close to a loved one.
    If your question is about education benefits. This is not the answer.
  3. rickb054

rickb054 New Member

Jimmy I appreciate your attempt to assist me but man your way off in left field. I was asking about vocational rehabilitation not caregiver information.On by the way the link you provided is outdate.
  4. jimmymac2

jimmymac2 New Member

A lot of web sites go stale. I corrected the one on my previous thread and it works (today).

You need to give us more information on what you are trying to obtain!
  5. rickb054

rickb054 New Member

It is not so much what I am trying to obtain as it is what can an independant livings service plan consist of? I have heard of some getting computers, others getting tools still others having their home adapted to a wheelchair. There is noting that I know of that outlines any kind of a plan. Nor is there any where to go that might show examples of a ILP.
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Rick:

There is no plan because the needs of each veteran are different. See your VocRehab counselor at the VAMC and discuss what would improve your life.
  7. rickb054

rickb054 New Member

Tincanman, your right there is no SPECIFIC plan for every veteran. But there is a independant plan for every vet who applies. You miss the point of my question let me put it as simple as possible.

1. The va offers independant living plans under vocational rehabilitation

2. According to 38 CFR, paragraph 21.162 a plan can consist of training in independant living; attendant care; health maintenance programs; and appropriate housing accommodations.

3. Some veterans claim they received tools, computers, desk, chairs but some say they were not allowed the same items.

4.Title 38 is not specific enought as to what a plan would look like or as to what is allowed within a plan.

5.Does anyone know if the va has published examples of plans that can be reviewed to get a better understanding of what is or is not allowable.
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I completely understand what you want but other than CFR I don't know of anything in writing available for the asking. That's why I pointed you to the VocRehab counselor. What is or isn't available at any particular time has changed. I think VocRehab is pretty much free to offer what they think will benefit the veteran limited by available budget. A while back they were pretty loose with "hobby" type grants and I saw vets getting up to $5000 on their verbal say so. Lately, hobbies seem to be limited to around $500 when granted at all. If you're looking for a hook to hang a grievance on, I doubt you'll find the specifics published. Polling vets that have taken advantage of ILP would seem your best bet but those folks seem to be far and few in between. At least they're not talking about it much.
  9. rickb054

rickb054 New Member

Tincanman,

I'm not looking for a hook to hang a grievance on. I am just looking for information on the subject. Everything I read now indicates that up too $25000.00 can be spent on an ILSP , and anything over that requires the approval of Washington DC. Your right about the polling, it seems if a vet gets something under this program they do not want to share the information, almost as if they feel they received something that they were not intitled too. I know may veterans who have used the program and who have received tools, computers and such. I was just looking for some better guidelines to understand what are the limits of the ILP other than the dollar amount. I was also looking for something that would spell out how much time the va can screw around with a veteran once the say you can have an ILP and the time they write the plan.

Hey thanks for your comments
  10. jimmymac2

jimmymac2 New Member

11. lifepolicyinfo1

lifepolicyinfo1 New Member

Actually, there are a lot of websites that you can search on. Just be certain to check their status and ratings if they are reliable and active as well. And then, talk to their agent and inform them all your needs.
  12. Jabandoo

Jabandoo New Member

Well I think VocRehab is fairly much totally able to provide, what they think will advantage the expert
    restricted by available price range. A while returning they were fairly reduce with hobby kind allows
    and I saw investigates, getting up to $1300 on their spoken say so.