Info - long list of studies showing ptsd related to various health problems

Discussion in 'PTSD' started by whiskeymedic, Sep 27, 2008.

1. whiskeymedic

whiskeymedic New Member

Hi folks, I've been here before asking for info on this subject and gotten excellent advice, so first let me say thank you to those who have responded!
    I have a long list of studies for you showing a connection between PTSD and many health problems. Use this info to convince your doctors; because I just had the Chief of a VA Sleep Center tell me he never heard of such a thing! If you can't convince one doctor, then go to another! Sure, you might have to spend some money, but if you get a higher rating you'll get paid back the first month! Here is a letter I wrote in response:

Dear Dr %$#; If you are not aware, VA compensation is decided by people with zero medical training, so without a written medical opinion layed out basic language, there is not much hope - My request for compensation for sleep apnea was denied by the VA because they said I did not suffer from sleep apnea while on active duty. So it is imperative that I show that it MAY be a result of changes to the body that can occur as a result of PTSD.

That is what I am asking for, a medical opinion that it is a possibility. According to my Veterans Service Officer, who is an expert on filing claims, here are examples: "a distinct possiblity" or "in all probability has aggravated the obstructive sleep apnea." or "it is certainly as likely as not that this veteran's sleep apnea is directly related to his PTSD." would satisfy the VA's Appeal Board.

Here is the Official Veterans Affairs website dedicated specifically for Clinicians.
    PTSD101: Home
    This website contains an online presentation for medical professionals entitled "PTSD 101"

But before you even look at that, here are direct quotes from Department of Veteran Affairs own website:
    "PTSD is linked to structural neurochemical changes in the central nervous system, which may have a direct biological effect on health. Such health effects may include vulnerability to hypertension and atherosclerotic heart disease; abnormalities in thyroid and hormone functions; increased susceptibility to infections and immunologic disorders; and problems with pain perception, pain tolerance, and chronic pain. PTSD is associated with significant behavioral health risks,including smoking, poor nutrition, conflict or violence in intimate relationships, and anger or hostility. When trauma leads to PTSD or other posttraumatic psychosocial problems, this places great biological strain upon the body and psychological strain upon the individual and his or her interpersonal relationships. It is, therefore, not surprising that trauma survivors, especially those with lasting PTSD symptoms, frequently report high rates of problems with physical health . These problems usually involve a variety of bodily systems including the cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological, and gastrointestinal systems."..............
    This quote may found at Trauma, PTSD, and the Primary Care Provider - (National Center for PTSD)

and, the following quote may be found in VA Publication: "Iraq War Clinician Guide"
    located at Published Materials (National Center for PTSD)

"Be aware of how trauma may impact on medical care
    The specific health problems associated with PTSD are varied and suggest multiple etiologies;
    neurobiological, psychological, and behavioral factors are likely explanations. Research has
    increasingly demonstrated that PTSD can lead to neurobiological dysregulation, altering the
    functioning of catecholamine, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocorticoid, endogenous opioid,
    thyroid, immune, and neurotransmitter systems.
    • Exposure to traumatic stress is associated with increased health complaints, health service
    utilization, morbidity, and mortality.
    • PTSD appears to be a key mechanism that accounts for the association between trauma and
    poor health.
    • PTSD and exposure to traumatic experiences are associated with a variety of healththreatening
    behaviors, such as alcohol and drug use, risky sexual practices, and suicidal
    ideation and gestures.
    • PTSD is associated with an increased number of both lifetime and current physical symptoms,
    and PTSD severity is positively related to self-reports of physical conditions."...............

The specific quote is located in Chapter 7, which may be viewed at http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/ncdocs/manuals/iraq_clinician_guide_ch_7.pdf

Here is a list of studies, papers, and appeals relating long term health effects directly to PTSD;
    The following contains 14 different reports found directly from the VA website PILOTS database and all were conducted by various VA locations.

Phila VA Study Error
    Coatsville VA Study SpringerLink - Journal Article
    Rapid eye movement sleep disturbance in posttraumatic stress disorder.
    http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/nc_archives/rsch_qtly/V7N3.pdf?opm=1&rr=rr185&srt=d&echorr=true
    IngentaConnect Effects of comorbid diagnoses on sleep disturbance in PTSD
    War-Zone-Related Stress Reactions: What Families Need to Know - (National Center for PTSD)
    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Sleep Apnea, Apolipoprotein E (APOE), and Cognition - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
    http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/39/2/168.pdf
    Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Sleep Apnea, Apolipoprotein E (APOE), and...
    CDC NIOSH Science Blog: Police and Stress
    can sleep problems from ptsd develope into sleep apnea?
    http://www.va.gov/vetapp01/files01/0102100.txt
    http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files4/0431117.txt
    Effects of a brief behavioral treatment for PTSD-related sleep disturbances : A pilot study
    Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
    Rapid eye movement sleep disturbance in posttrauma...[Biol Psychiatry. 1994] - PubMed Result