Information needed ...

Discussion in 'Disability' started by CLBnKBB, Nov 1, 2006.

1. CLBnKBB

CLBnKBB New Member

Hi ... I have posted on the board before I think I was misunderstood and that is okay, as all this is new to me. However, I have the following questions that I hope someone might be able to help me with.

A simple run down. My husband is rated at 80% SC with 50% of that being PSTD. He was once a deputy and was removed from that position due to PTSD and carrying a weapon and the fact he could not attend school due to his knees and arms (the other 30%). He became a jailer which was very hard on him, his legs and arms (paperwork, computer and LOTS of walking). He THEN became Jail Administrator and has been for 2 years and just recently was fired from that position (inability to perform duties, stress, temper and the such) and now has been placed back as a Jailer (major pay cut). Which now is worse because of a new facility and now it involves much more walking, climbing stairs and such.

Back in Jan he was finally placed on meds for Depression/PTSD. They have been changed and uped twice. After much reading, he decided to file for an increase (September). We have the Notice to Assist letter back with a form for his employer (filled already and mailed back to the VA), a form VCAA and a form to file for unemployability.

His C&P is Monday.

Where we are now, is what to expect, what all to do to progress forward and to make sure we have ALL paperwork wanted by the VA. As for the VCAA form, do we send it back or wait?

He IS still currently working, however-it is going to be very short lived, I am afraid. He is now low man on the pole of a place where he was over every fellow employee, the stress level is just as bad and continuing to get worse as well as the physical aspect of it all-something he has been running back and forth for 5 years with and STILL no "actual" diagnoses.

We just need help and advise from anyone who could or would possibly guide or direct us.

I am not asking anyone to make "his" decision, just advise. I appreicate your time and help, more than you will ever know.

Cheryl
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Cheryl:

The VCAA form is a legal requirement that the VA inquire if you have additional evidence to submit and giving you 60 days in which to do it. Otherwise a decision might be rendered with the info on hand. If you have no more evidence, fill it out and tell them to get on with making a decision, do not wait the 60 days.

I can't tell you what to expect at the C&P as you don't state what conditions it is for.
  3. CLBnKBB

CLBnKBB New Member

Thanks TinCanMan and I apologize for not stating the "purpose" of my question. His C&P is for PTSD.

Thanks again for your info. Do WE furnish the VA medical records or will the VA get them on their own? That is the basic info we have to turn in.

Cheryl
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

If your husband is being treated by the VA for any condition you are making a claim for, just tell the RO which VA facility is treating him and the RO will obtain the info. If he's being treated by a private practitioner, provide the Name and address of the doctor and a signed release of information form. The VA has a form to use.
  5. CLBnKBB

CLBnKBB New Member

Back from C&P

I just wanted to say we are back home and my husband survived the C&P. It was hard on him but through the "tough" part something good come from it, he happened to run into one of his fellow Soldier buddies he has not seen in 15 years, who was also in Desert Storm with him. They were really good friends who just lost all contact with each other. It was a really bitter sweet reunion, but something I think my husband needed so very badly. As hard as it was-it was so good for him.

I guess now, we wait to see what comes back from the C&P? Do we request a copy? And if so, from where (office) and what do we do once we have it?

I am so proud this board is here, if it weren't ... We'd be in a MESS!

Thanks for all the help and support you all offer so freely.

It helps A LOT of us!!!

Cheryl
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. C&P's are nothing to worry about. They're a fact of life for the disabled veteran. Should be no different than seeing your regular medical team. Personally, I try to take advantage of them to get out a bit. I live in a very rural area and when I have an exam at the VAMC, I spend the rest of the day having lunch in d'beeg city and hitting a few stores. If nothing else, have lunch in the cafeteria. The VA will pay you 11cents a mile for travel pay. Hope you collected it. You have 2 mos from date of exam to do so. Go to the Travel clerk and they'll fill out the paper and pass it to the cashier. All you do is sign and show ID.

Yes, you can have a copy of the exam results. Having said that, I never bother. It can be useful if a claim fails in understanding why and maybe doing what's necessary for success. Common wisdom dictates you get a cane pole and go fishin' when you file a claim. The claim process isn't your life and it's not worth stressing over. Other folks think you ought to at least check with the RO every few months. (1-800-827-1000) Me? I think a watched pot never boils.

You are however entitled to a copy as they are records created at public expense. Usually, the C&P was conducted by a VA practitioner at a VA medical Center. If that's so, each VAMC has a Patient Advocate and a Release of Information Office. You can visit or write either and request a transcript. Make sure you write "FOIA" on the envelope and the letter. FOIA is Freedom of Information Act and is the law that gives you the right to your records kept by the government. You can also ask for your treatment records as well. It generally takes about two weeks for the results to be transcribed.

I don't know what you do once you have it, seems like a waste of time unless there's a problem. I've never asked for one, then my claims were simple and straight forward and I already had a diagnosis from a civilian doctor. Some folks like to have records of everything and set up elaborate filing systems to "manage" their claim. Perhaps it gives them something to do while they're obsessing. I just move on to other things. I've never seen any of the records the VA has on me although I made copies of my Medical Records and Personnel Records before I left the Navy.
  7. CLBnKBB

CLBnKBB New Member

Thanks!

Thanks TinCanMan!

I see what you are saying about "waiting it out", luckily we are not in a rush or hurry. The Military taught us that well. (Even me as a spouse). We can wait.

We too, copied my husband's medical records before he left the Army. Just seemed like it was something we had better do.

We have part of his VA records-not sure why, just felt we "better". I personally am always worried about "what might happen tomorrow". I think moreso a "woman" thing!:D

In all events, I appreciate the time and efforts placed on the boards for us folks trying to find the way to the VA.

Cheryl