Is it over?

Discussion in 'VVnW & The Veterans Coalition' started by bkinnam, May 20, 2005.

1. bkinnam

bkinnam Member

I had been watching the goings on within the VVnW/Coalition. It seems that since there have been no goings on within the past month, everything must have resolved its self. Is everything now honky dory? Has everything been smoothed over or will nothing become of the matters afore mentioned in previous postings? Are the suspended still suspended or have they been re-instated? Or is everythng just in limbo? Just what is the status of everything?
    Is this now a organization now worthy anyones membership? Has anything changed? I see the same old things on the VVnW/Coalition website daily. Doesn't anythng new transpire within the National Organization? Does anyone know what they do to support veterans legislatively, as do the other top veterans organizations?
  2. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

VVnW Political Bias

I noticed in the last Veteran Leader that the Officers of the VVnW attended the Presidents Ball. The wording indicated to me they were more impressed with the Republican President than they were with the Medal of Honor recipients.

A real Veterans organization would not pro editorialize and slobber over an administration that is cutting veterans benefits.

One other note of interest. Why is there no section in the Leader for "Letters to the Editor?"
  3. johnnya

johnnya New Member

Bkinnam

In answer to your question, NO the illegally suspended members have not been
    re-instated and probably won’t until the nomination date for the next election is over.
    This way national don’t have to worry about any of these good people coming back and running for national office. So I would say that everything now is in limbo and no it’s not honky dory.

Warveteran

If you were a non American Veteran holding the highest position in an American Veterans Organization, who would you rather have your picture taken with the president of the united states or some mere MEDAL OF HONOR WINNERS, the crew we have at the top picks the president.

As for the Letters to the Editor, forget it, that would mean they would have to answer questions and we know how they feel about that, what you want to get suspended too?
  4. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

VVnW No More

It appears the VVnW exist in name only. The Veterans Coalition is the real operating organization. It seems the V.C. is attempting to compete with Amvets and the American Legion.

(by the way the abbreviation V.C. is an affront to all Vietnam Combat Veterans)

I suggest we start an organization entitled; the Vietnam Era Veterans Association, [VEVA.]

A good clear copy of United States Department of Defense form DD214 or 215 must accompany the membership application, and a member must have served on active duty or reserve duty between the years 1964 and 1975.
  5. joeblowj0

joeblowj0 New Member

National

I understand the National Commander, The Excectutive Director, and some other Forbe Followers are taking a cruze to Canada. Is this a business trip, or a bull shit trip ? Who is paying for this ? You tell me, cause I have no idea. :confused:
  6. 3cav

3cav Member

The Great Commander is back in Australia staying at the Hill billy hut near my place, a big effort has been made trying to clear a bit of the crap from around the place. I give you odds of 100-1 that the VVnW paid for this trip on the pretext that there was important VVnW AU business to attend to.
    He is so caring about Australian Veterans that he didn't even show his face at ANZAC Day, (this is the most important day for all veterans in Australia). When you can't be bothered to drive 45 klm to catch up with your mates from the unit you spent 89 days in Vietnam with. There were plenty of veterans looking out for him to see if he would show his face.
    It didn't suprise us that he didn't show, last September he was in Australia for Vietnam Veterans Day, this is the day he instigated several years ago and guess what he didn't show up for that either. It just goes to show what little regard he has for his fellow veterans. Or maybe he has finally caught on of what the veterans of South Australia really think of him, regards Neil
  7. thumper178

thumper178 New Member

Well Peter is back in the USA. Guess he had his fill of the AU veterans there. Helping them get past hard days there. Missing important events. Guess cleaning up the property there was more important. I am curious if the Post in AU is his property. I don't recall anyone speaking where his post is located at. I just hope that VVnW money isn't paying to have trash hauled away.

And with the convention now in Florida. And over a Holiday suppost to be to honor the working man. I think it will be busy there.
    But I am also curious about this trip to Canada. A cruise??????????? Are we now going international? I am curious also how many of the posts that are listed under the web site are still working posts. And why is it that the magazine always has more about AU and not more about the Vietnam Veterans. Lets see some postings in it about these other posts that are overseas.

Are the dues going up next year??????????????????? Are we going to get life insurance like the American Legion and others do. For this increase. Probably not.

With not having the convention in DC this November - will the board still plan on going there????????????????
    LOTS AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
    We know National views this site. So please answer the questions here so many can see. Just like you have posted in the magazine with you comments about people who I care about.

To answer you bkinman - No it isn't done yet. You know how to get hold of me.
    Make your phone calls brothers and have them answer your questions. This is our organization and not just for a few.

There is more that is happening and make sure you understand that sitting there doing nothing will always get you nothing. Unless you have money and just maybe someone will try to do you out of that.

We are Brothers now and always. That will never change. NEVER.
    You all have a wonderful day.

Thumper178
  8. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

I received this from a concerned brother Vietnam Vet

Subject: Vvnw convention etc

I have been reading with interest your on-going comments about the Vvnw convention scheduled for Florida for Labor Day Weekend. Weren't you once a national board member or something? Didn't you travel at the expense of the organization? so what's the difference with the current administration? We elected them to represent all of us so what's your problem with having them do what they are supposed to do? bet you went on our dime enough times!

give me something of value that they've done wrong and I'll hop on your bandwagon but ... this petty stuff is crap! Tex

My Reply:

Hello Tex,

First I must appologize for taking so long to reply. I hope this will answer your questions satisfactorily. I'm glad you raised this question about traveling at the expense of the organization. I did serve as the National Master Sergeant at Arms on the National Board (BOD) of the VVnW. This was back in the early to mid 1990's. Back then a BOD member had to submit requests for travel reimbursements to the National Cmdr. We were limited to actual gas mileage and all accommodations (motel rooms) were pre-arranged by Nancy to keep costs down. We paid for our own meals, etc. Trips were limited to National Board meetings in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The then National Commander, Jim Charles, did attend a Trauma Counseling Seminar Meeting in Texas and he also traveled to Seattle to assist resolving major problems with the California and Washington State posts. He also set in motion a position for a Southeast Asian Coordinator & Minority affairs position which was filled by Nick Rock, the then Washington State Commander. Nick still serves in the position of SE Asian Coordinator & Minority Affairs.

When we traveled we had to submit gas and motel receipts and a written after-action report to the National Board. Today NOTHING is submitted, NOTHING is accounted for and NOTHING is challenged as being unnecessary!

Commander Charles used to refuse unnecessary travel requests from BOD members.

The only travel that I saw as a waste of VVnW funds back then was when Mike Milne, the previous National Commander, (before Charles) traveled to Vietnam under the guise of "finding and bringing home POW's. When he returned from that very expensive trip he didn't even have a decent report to the BOD & membership. We saw a few slides of the mountains where he said "they thought the POWs were in those mountains, but we can't get in there". He DID report that when he got there he opened his luggage and found he had packed Nancy's bluejeans instead of his own!!! Naturally, during the BOD meeting, everyone laughed at this and praised him for going there. Now that was a waste of VVnW funds! You said, "bet you went on our dime enough times". You are probably be correct. BUT, we were limited! NOWthey go on our DOLLARS!!! And many of them! There is NO control! There is NO accounting! There are NO restrictions! There are NO reports to the membership! There are NO detailed expense lists! Every thing is paid by VVnW credit.or debit card or VVnW petty cash. This not only includes travel and hotel but also ALL MEALS! When I attended BOD meetings as the PA State Commander, prior to being voted on to the BOD, I watched the "chosen few" of the BOD dining ant the tab picked up by the Nat. Cmdr (Milne) and/or Ex. Dir.(Nancy). Notice I said "chosen few" and not the entire BOD. By-the-way they never stayed in "regular rooms" they stayed in suites.

Now let's change the subject.

I think you missed the entire point of my posted letter. I only discussed "money/costs" when I referred to the room cost of $59.00. My outrage about the Orlando "Disney World" trip is that they have decided to move the National Convention which has ALWAYS been held over veterans day weekend, from D.C to Orlando. They call it a "party" to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the VVnW. THAT can be celebrated at the National Headquarters! It is NOT a United States National event! It does not honor our veterans. It self-honors a few BOD members and officers. It will celebrate the current staff at national. For the 25th anniversary celebration they should extend an invitation to all previous BOD members, State Commanders, Post Commanders as well as open the doors to the membership (bet they wouldn't invite me or the other "suspended members former officers"). I believe that YES we should celebrate 25 years but not at the expense of ignoring our Nations Veterans! The Veteran leader has this event listed as an anniversary "party". No where does it say National Convention. BUT I HAVE IN MY POSSESSION TWO (2) EMAIL LETTERS FROM NANCY REFERRING TO THE ORLANDO "PARTY" AS THE "NATIONAL CONVENTION". One email was forwarded to me from a third party and one is directly from her to me. That suggests to me that the "party" in Orlando will include the National Convention. I'm sure some National Board members will attend functions in D.C. over Veterans day. At an additional VVnW expense! Even attend some social functions for photo opts with the President, huh! Can't honor a veteran, too busy getting pictures taken for the leader. Besides the Commander isn't an American Veteran so it don't count!

This is a sorry state the VVnW has fallen into. We now have a National Commander who is not an American Veteran and does not even attempt to respect our veterans and their sacrifices. He doesn't even attend events in Australia (au) to recognize the Australian veterans of the Vietnam war. VVnW claims to "be international" They still carry posts that were established in SE Asia that were CLOSED in 1996 when the refugee camps were shutdown and the Vietnamese refugees were forcibly returned to Vietnam. We have a post in Canada with (minimal membership) and claim a post in Australia. The Australian post has about 25 - 35 members. They are scattered all over AU. Can't even say how many attend meetings because they don't have meetings. That's terrific! Especially since Forbes travels to Australia to renew his visa and uses this "post" as justification for VVnW to pay for this $5000 to $7000 PERSONAL trip. Interesting how no one questions why this "post" has not grown in membership since 1989! Yet we fly the Nat. Cmdr. to AU twice yearly at our expense when a phone call would do! Even an hour long phone call would not cost that much.

So, I could go on and give you more but I think you get the idea. My original letter posted on the Veterans resources web page was about Honoring veterans on Veterans Day. Not money. You might want to contact some other "suspended" members for more information. All were Ranking members of VVnW and most served from 15 - 17 years. Some National Officers, Post Commanders and I was also the PA State Commander. So you can see we're not just a bunch of losers. We all served the VVnW and our Veterans and still want to do so.

I sincerely hope you can see my side of this Orlando issue now, as well as your contacting some of the "suspended members" including myself who have never been given a reason for their suspension from the VVnW.

Tex, This issue is not "petty stuff"

I intend to post this reply on the Veterans Recourses web site but will omit your full name and the names of the others that I sent you in my reply email. Contact them. I do not have permission to publish their names and do not wish to get another nasty reply (it was not from you).

Thanks for your interest and fight for us all.

Don Niemeyer
  9. 3cav

3cav Member

What's the odds on calling the trip a membership drive, that way they could bill all the expenses to the VVnW. Forbes did this with his 2003 Vice Commanders Budget he gave to Nancy, there was an item called a membership drive of $4,500. I don't know how many members he got for his $4500 but they arn't there now.
  10. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

3CAV & joeblowjo

Of course! This is another "business trip" to provide "support" to a (1) post that has not shown any significant growth in 10+ years. I suppose the cruise is a more reasonable, faster and inexpensive method of travel. Yeah, Right! I suppose it's cheaper than the trips to Australia for the same "reasons" such as "supporting & building posts (1)" that also has not shown any significant growth in over 10+ years ! My, how they spend thousands of $$$ to "build" failed posts and don't provide any $$$ support to the posts in the USA!!! They take money from USA posts like when a post in LA-04 raises $$$ for their local Beacon House and then nalional "fired" the post commander for not giving 50% to National. PLus they got their own "replacement commander" to give them the cash. VVnW - "People Who Care about themselves"
  11. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

I'd like to make a correction to my statement above. It was not money collected for their Beacon House. The money (approximately $2000) was collected by LA-04 to help in the construction of a Hero's Monument with credit for the monument going to the VVnW and The Concerned Veterans of Louisiana. However, it appears that the VVnW wants all the credit. So what's new, huh?
    DonaldN
  12. billbee31

billbee31 New Member

New Organization needed?

I'm looking to start chapter of a service organization soon. I thought this coalition would be the way to go because of it's inclusiveness. I have been reading the posting of some of the group members and now I am not so sure. One person suggested a 'Nam era group (between the years 1964 and 1975.) well that's nice, but we had guys jump with the French at Dien Bien Phu so that takes it back to about 1954. Anyway we have people coming home from war right now, we have Desert Storm vets we have all kinds of vets looking for and needing help. If this outfit cannot do it, than maybe we as concerned vets need to start an national organization that can. A national organization that that does not bleed the local chapters of all their dues monies. A national organization that is truly there for the vet in need. If there are enough people to start such an organization then checks and balances can be put into place to keep abuse and fraud to a minimum.

Bill Edwards
    http://www.phichisigma.com
  13. bkinnam

bkinnam Member

I too thought this organization may be the way to go, until I read all the posts on this site! I am amazed that the VVnW/Coalition does not come back and offer any type of explaination at to what has or is transpiring there! I for one would like to know why all the suspensions, even of their National Board members and if you check out their site, you will find that there is constantly openings on their board and that another seat is available.
  14. johnnya

johnnya New Member

Up till about three or four years ago VVnW was a great organization to belong, almost everyone got alone and yes there was checks and balances where the board of directors and the national commander answered questions that were asked by post commanders and the membership. Members and Post were never belittled on the national web site stating that they just don’t get it or that they don‘t care. This being said by a non-veteran.

Every post in this organization knows what happened in the last few years and has no one to blame but ourselves. I’ve said it over and over that if you sit on your hands and don’t ask questions this is what can become of an organization.

It’s a shame to think that a once great organization like VVnW is now the bulk of jokes from our fellow veteran organizations for the way we have become.

All national thinks about now a days is how much money can the local post and members-at-large can send them. I’ve always heard that money is the root to all evil and in the last few years this saying could never have been more to the point.

About the board of directors, there has to be some problems when you can’t even keep hand picked people, after seeing what they must have seen going on and remembering that they are AMERICAN VIETNAM VETERANS probably could not live with themselves. how can an organization run without having a treasurer for almost six months, gee nationals books must be right up to date, hey let’s book another trip.

Suspended members will never be reinstated until after the nominations are closed for the national board. This guy knows that once real American Veterans again run the VVnW the By-laws will be changed back to where they should be with only AMERICANS running this AMERICAN ORGANIZATION.

Anyone that asked me if they should join VVnW I tell them to wait until after the elections and see who gets elected. I don’t think the local post will be around long if he has his way, this commander does not want post to survive and would rather have only members-at-large because as I said before, members-at-large don’t ask questions.
  15. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

Johnnya,

Again, you are absolutely correct! Did you notice the Veteran Coalition had NOTHING so say or do regarding veterans for Memorial Day? They don't even do anything for the Australian veterans on Anzac Day even though the commander is an Australian. He avoids them when he returns to Australia. Seems like the only veteran they remember is George Washington and that's because his picture in on the dollar bill!

DonaldN
  16. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

That is so sad it breaks my heart.
  17. joeblowj0

joeblowj0 New Member

National's Harassment

La post #4 post Commander Loy Smith is holding this money with the attemp of blocking the construction of this monument, by orders of The National Commander and the National Executive Director. The man who started this monument, began his fight to build this monument in 1991, when a pooly built monument in Hero's Park was blown down by a wind storm. You see, 90% of the money raised for this project was raised by this man. He wants to honor any and all Military Persons with a discharge other than dishonorable.
    I understand, he is still going forward to raise more money to continue his dream.
    How can Veterans fight against other Veterans, when it comes to helping, or honoring veterans. I personally think it jealousy on National's part. " THEY WILL NOT STOP THIS MAN, FOR HE IS A VERY DETERMINED AND PROUD VIETNAM VETERAN." The money we are talking about for the monument is $ 16,000, give or take a couple hundred dollars. :(
  18. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

Why The VVnW Was Created

Way back when the VVnW was created there was a need to have an organization that was not in included with the main stream politicians. This included the Amvets, Am. Leg., VFW and the VVA.

The Amvets and Am. Legion were created by and for W.W.I vets. The VFW was created by and for W.W.II vets and because Korea was to follow in a few short years, those vets were sucked up and spread around the three organizations mentioned in this paragraph.

The VVA was created supposedly to include all Vietnam Veterans. Unfortunately it included ever nut case and wacko wearing a beard and cammies. The VVnW also had their share of these "wanna-be's."

The VVnW was originally created to serve all in country Vietnam Vets. However, this was short lived. It soon expanded to Vietnam Era vets and then to all veterans. The reason for this is pure and simple , more members more money.

We would all be better served if we would join the the VFW or the Legion or Amvets. The VVnW was created to be a specialty organization serving in country Vietnam Veterans and support the political, physical and other health issues resulting from "that" war.

The Gulf War vets have their own organization. Why? Simple, they have their own issues resulting from their war.

Times have changed. I voted for the Veterans Coalition, not fully understand what it was all about. I did not want the VVnW to become another legion or Amvets. But, it's too late it already has.

The VVnW and now the Veterans Coalition no longer tackle issues or offer opinions of the needs to the veterans they represent. They have gone off in the direction of the USO, supplying troops with care packages. Even through this is commendable it is not unique and it certainly doesn't address the VA budget cut backs or the other issues related to today's veterans.

P.S. To the fellow who mention Americans being with the French in 1954. Those were all civilians working for the CIA. By order of Pres. Eisenhower. They were not and are not Veterans for the purpose of this discussion.
  19. Terry McGee

Terry McGee New Member

The years gone by

I wonder what it would take to revert VVnW back to having Vietnam veterans only. Do away with the Coalition and have American veterans only.

I am not saying anything against Vietnam veterans from other countries. God bless them for being there and doing their part!

As everyone has been saying...VVnW was a very good organization to belong to............at one time.
  20. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

Terry,

The VVnW could still be a very good organization as it once was. All the members have to do is vote OUT the present National Commander. He and his "partner" have effectively ruined the VVnW. Once the membership wakes up and sees what's happening they will take the organization back through the ballot. One hurdle is to find someone who is qualified and will accept the position of National Commander and run against this charlatan. This is not easily accomplished! Of course the membership is not aware of what's going on because there is NO communication between the members or Posts. Email addresses are kept secret and members aren't aware of the Vererans Resources web site! As I said in another forum, The veteran coalition does not even mention veterans on memorial Day. They care not about veterans and even less about Vietnam Vets. As far as having "foreign veterans" in the VVnW goes, that is not the problem. The problem is Forbes personally, not the fact that he is from Australia. If you closely review their newsletter (magazine) you can see where the VVnW name is slowly and carefully being pushed aside in favor the the veteran coalition name.
    DonaldN