Is SSD hard to get if your at a high disability rating from VA?

Discussion in 'Social Security' started by Disabled-at-27, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Disabled-at-27

Disabled-at-27 New Member

I have 80% disability from VA is going after SSD a hard road? I have Bilateral Shoulder Condition, Heart Condition, Bad Knees, and pending results for lupus. I have lost so much already from waiting on VA to do something I guess I dont have much to lose trying right?
  2. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

Ssi

You would be better off going for your SSDI after you get everything settled with the VA.Then you can use all the Dr's letters and the VA's medical records to take with you to the SS.It sounds like you need to contact your congressman about the hold up with The VA.:eek:
  3. Disabled-at-27

Disabled-at-27 New Member

I have contacted them but they are about as helpfull as anyone else I have called. He gives me the same answers as the va reps!
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

What you really need is a doctor willing to say you are unemployable and provide a medically supported rationale. If you have that, file the claim. You don't need anything else. If it doesn't fly, see an attorney and have him appeal the SSA decision.
  5. USMCTanker

USMCTanker New Member

I receive VA 100% and SSD. You must be unemployed a full year due to your disabilities or disability before you can apply for SSD. Sadly SSD is usually turned down on first try.

There are lawyers listed in the phone book who specialize in SSD appeals. They will take the case at no up front costs. When and if SSD is awarded they get a percentage of your back payments. Payments are retroactive from first date of filing.

You are only permitted to obtain a lawyer at no cost if you have first been turned down by SSD (SSA)
  6. XL4EU9

XL4EU9 New Member

I have been in the system for a good period of time and I do not recommend waiting till you get your VA approval to go to Social Security. My DAV rep had me go to SS when I filed my appeal. If it had not been for that I would have lost out on an income source for the past few years.

SS came through in a months time and instead of having to wait a year the realtime was 5 months unemployed before the pay started. I was killing myself trying to hold down a job and this method (using the Social Securty while waiting for the va has kept me out of the hosp mostly). So go file now and best of luck!

As for Lawyer I never had one and got my SS on the first try thus not having to put any out of pocket expenses out there.
  7. free spirit

free spirit New Member

I'm on SSDI since 2002. Now applying for VA Benefits for diabetes. Will the SSDI help or hurt me with the VA?
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

9. bumblebee8472

bumblebee8472 New Member

i wondering the chances i have of going to t&p if alreaqdy have ssdi and 100% iu from ptsd anyone can answer
  10. uncle don

uncle don New Member

I receive 30% for ptsd,can i get ssd also?? What would you do???
  11. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Who knows? You don't provide the necessary information. The SSA and VA base disability on different issues. Why do you think your condition warrants 100% schedular and your chance of being declared permanent will depend on whether or not the VA believes your conditions have no chance of improvement.
  12. shadetree

shadetree New Member

I am a retired veteran,100% VA disabled, and unemployed. Must I actually wait one full year before I can apply for Social security disability?

Also, could my retirement DFAS pay and DVA disability pay prevent me from qualifying for Social Security Disability?

Any other good-to-know info--before I pursue this?

Thanks
  13. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

What you really need is a doctor willing to say you are unemployable and provide a medically supported rationale. If you have that, file the claim. You don't need anything else. If it doesn't fly, see an attorney and have him appeal the SSA decision.

Your VA conditions will be considered, but there's no guarantee there. I have no idea what 1 year period you are talking about. FWIW, the fact that you are unemployed is irrelevant. The question is what does a doctor say about your employability.

Income is irrelevent to an SSDI claim but will affect SSI
  14. shadetree

shadetree New Member

Thanks for the info: I only mentioned a 1 year wait--because I saw it in another post... I need to visit my Dr.--soon...

Many thanks!
  15. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi Guys
    You have to be unemployable and not able to even perform a cedentary type of work. I have been waiting for nearly two years for their decission on my claim for SSDI. They even look at yourt educational background and age in the decission. My claim is slightly different as I worked in England for 19 years before my claim. Houever, thenk God they have a reciprocal agreement with between USA and UK and my work time in UK counts. My doctor and Shrink statted that I am not able to work including cedentary work so I hope my claim will be successful.
    Best of luck to those of you whom are waiting for a decission.
    Frank
  16. ZenGyrene

ZenGyrene New Member

Evenin'

Just my 2 cents worth...

Back in 03 I filed for SSD and Unemployability.

In 08 I finally got the SSD and in 09 I was awarded my Unemployability.

Nothing positive happened on either front until I brought in folks who knew the systems.

For the SSD I used ALLSUP. They are not lawyers per se but do have legal backgrounds. My sister is a county case worker in NS and she does these filings for her clients and has a very good appeals record. Anyway... You can count on being turned down the first time through. About 70% of cases are awarded on appeal. The skinny on a doc who will say you cannot work is correct. They jerk you around as long as they can to try and force you to take any kind of work. Very simple but effective tactic on their part

The VA... You a Service Officer FOR CERTAIN !! And it does not hurt to involve your federal Senator.
    The advice on starting local and finding out who is getting things done is excellent advice.

The bottom line is that both these systems are adversarial. Meaning they want to do everything they can to avoid paying you benefits... even if you deserve them. You need to put as many tools in your tool box as you can and then USE THEM !
  17. vnvetlester

vnvetlester Member

Downing the SSA

I hate to hear you downing the SSA. Not all people filing for SSDI and SSA go through the same treatment. It all depends on the amount of info and medical records and nexus letters you have that makes the difference.
    I had my one single disability evaluation and nexus letter from the Dr. who did my evaluation and got approved in 6 weeks time and I did it all myself. So watch what you say about this. There is a lot of people reading what you post on this and there are a lot of people take what some people say as fact. Not so brother. It's best to file by yourself first and go prepared. Read the instructions
    for what they want. I didn't want to pay a lawyer part of my benefits for what I could and did do myself.
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Concur with VNVETLESTER. SSA will consider your VA claims but you must be unemployable before the SSA will award SSDI or SSI. Many folks have filed their own claim and received an award. I'd do it myself first.
  19. spc.shouse

spc.shouse New Member

Hey I just got approved for ssdi. I am only 26 mine went through in 3 months. In GA you have to be unemployed for at least 6 months. So good luck
  20. wtaylor

wtaylor New Member

Make sure you have plenty of Medical evidence for your claim when you file, if not SSA will send you for CE evals to document your illness or injury. I had to have 1 CE eval although I had plenty of DR visits but the Army Docs are not always descriptive enough in the Med history, I was also in a WTU at the time and also used an off post neuro Psych eval from army in place of ssa's which they will allow you to use your own Docs also. MY claim took 5 months from start to finish and I did it on my own and got it on the first try, it can be done just have all your medical history together and be prepared.