Letters to Troops

Discussion in 'Help Active Duty Now' started by Yoge Mountain, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Yoge Mountain

Yoge Mountain New Member

VVnW, Inc. and The Veterans Coalition includes a letter from a US school kid in every military support package that they send out to US troops serving overseas. I have been soliciting school teachers locally in NJ to have their kids write letters as a school project. Many of the kids have gotten replies from troops serving in the field and in hospitals, elsewhere. The teachers are proud to show me some of the letters written back to the kids by our troops. It's incredible how the kids feel about our soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines "fighting for their freedom," and "helping keep America safe," as many of the children have put it. It's also heartwarming to see some of the replies from our troops- some of whom do not receive any letters from home believe it or not.

My Niece, a school teacher in South Florida just started her campaign there and she got her whole school involved in her project.

If you'd like to get on board, have the kids write letters addressed to: "Dear US Soldier." It's O.K to show the kid's name, class and the school address on the letter, (but not the child's home address). Suggest that the children color and draw pictures, flags etc. and mail the letters in a whole bunch, unstamped and without individual envelopes to:

Veterans of The Vietnam War, Inc. (VVnW Headquarters)
    805 South Township Boulevard
    Pittston, Pa. 18640-3327

Rick Brody (Yoge)
    Life Member VVnW
    Life Member VFW
    Life Member DAV
  2. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

Rick, this is great. Is there any way you could post some of the responses. I'm going to see what I can do to help get some more letters written by children in the schools around me.
  3. surfs48

surfs48 New Member

I think that this is a wonderful idea! When I was serving with 1st Mar. Div. during the 1st Gulf War in '91, I received a whole bunch of letters from the students of my best friend's sister, who taught up at the Loyd Rd. School in Aberdeen, NJ. I also got letters from my parent's neighbor's daughter and her whole 4th grade class from Wall Central School in Wall, NJ. It was a major morale booster! I wrote back to them and sent them all kinds of 'souveniers' from both Saudi and Kuwait. When I returned home for 30 days convalescent leave after getting medevaced back to the U.S., I visited the classes at both schools and the kids were totally awe struck! It was a tremendous experiance for both them and myself.
    I am currently living in West Virginia, so I will try to bring this to the attention of the local school here.
    Keep up the great work!
    Semper Fi,

surfs48
  4. surfs48

surfs48 New Member

Right after I replied to you yesterday, I printed out a copy and went down to the Burke Avenue School, which is located a few blocks from me here in Martinsburg, WV (My girlfriend's kids attend classes there). I had met the principle about a month ago, so I went straight to her office to approach her regarding having the students write some letters to the troops. It turns out that she retired from the Air National Guard with 23 years service (She brought me right into her office to show off her 'shadow box' of medals. She was totally receptive to the idea and is going to have all the kids write a letter, which in turn, will be sent in bulk to VVA for distribution!
    All this transpired within 15 minutes of logging off the computer, and it felt great to "give back" what I was given 15 years ago while deployed to Saudi and Kuwait.
    Thanks for posting that info.

Semper Fi,

surfs48
  5. mzjasco

mzjasco New Member

What a great idea! I'll pass it on to our local newspaper and another net I'm part of; folks like me who are survivors of a stroke. Before you think we're all ancient, babies age 1 have had strokes! Most of my "buddies" are between 25 - 60.
    Anyway great idea;

Mzjasco
  6. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

I've forgotten how to make a new post.A funny thing happened at the grocery store.My daughter works at a grocery store on the weekends(she's a teacher).She had left to make an out of town delivery and a young soldier came up to talk to one of her friends.He asked her if he knew Robert Larkins.She thought about a guy that was working the over night shift and says yeah not too excited.Then she got all excited and said oh you mean Bobby!! he says umm I call him Sir.It seems so funny to hear someone call my son Sir.Puffs my heart up with pride too.
  7. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Knewheart,Hi again.What was the address of the person that you said we should send a card to while we were writing out card? I've already did the ones on the computer that the kids drew.I'm going to be really naughty this year.I'm not sending out cards to my family.I'm gonna send each of the guys in Bobby's company a card.If that's bad then I'm bad.Of course I'm hoping there is going to be at least one soldier that won't be present at that mail call.Hopefully that soldier will be getting lots of hugs and kisses from his wife,kids,mama,siblings and niecess and nephews.
  8. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Gloria
    I am delighted to comply with your request. Here's the original post:

Christmas Greetings
    When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, also include one for the following address:

A Recovering American Soldier
    c/o
    WalterReedArmyMedicalCenter
    6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
    Washington, D.C.20307-5001
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

10. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

I take it back..send the commanding general at Walter Reed a lump of coal instead. And while your at it, send another one to the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Tranportation Policy and one to the Postmaster General of the US. (Also send one to TinCanMan as well for being the bearer of such crappy news.) Bah humbug!!!!

Nurseflo, if you give us Bobby's mailing address in Iraq, I will ask everyone on VR to send him a holiday greeting card or a short letter to show our support.
  11. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

This is "cut" from the link TinCanMan posted above.

Brody, It's good to see something pleasant coming from VVNW!

WRAMC News and Events : Support A Recovering American Soldier
    Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages, letters, and holiday cards addressed to 'Any Wounded Soldier' or 'A Recovering American Soldier' that Walter Reed cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.
    In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "A Recovering American Soldier" letters or packages. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.
    Instead of sending an “Any Wounded Soldier” letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the "America Supports You" website, www.americasupportsyou.mil
    Other organizations that offer means of showing your support for our troops or assist wounded servicemembers and their families include:
    http://www.usocares.org/
    http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/tooursoldiers/
    http://www.redcross.org
    For individuals without computer access, your local military installation, the local National Guard or military reserve unit in your area may offer the best alternative to show your support to our returning troops and their families. Walter Reed Army Medical Center will continue to receive process and deliver all mail that is addressed to a specific individual.
    As Walter Reed continues to enhance the medical care and processes for our returning service members, it must also must keep our patients and staff members safe while following Department of Defense policy. The outpouring of encouragement from the general public, corporate America and civic groups throughout the past year has been incredible. Our Warriors in Transition are amazed at the thanks and support they receive from their countrymen.
  12. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member

Xem tất cả các loại răng sứ tại dây

Cấu tạo răng sứ Titan

Ưu điểm:

Titan được sử dụng khá phổ biến trong y học vì nó không gây dị ứng, ung thư và có thể kết hợp tốt với tổ chức xương của cơ thể, trong đó có răng.
    Răng sứ titan có tuổi thọ cao, ít nhạy cảm với thức ăn nóng, lạnh và không làm răng bị xuất huyết, thâm đen viền nướu.
    Chất liệu titan được chứng minh là có tính tương hợp sinh học tốt, ít kích ứng với cơ thể nên còn được sử dụng trong các dịch vụ nha khoa phức tạp khác liên quan đến giải phẫu như cấy ghép răng implant.
    Răng sứ titan có tuổi thọ cao, ít nhạy cảm với thức ăn nóng, lạnh
    Là loại răng sứ có giá thành trung bình, phù hợp với nhiều đối tượng khách hàng.
    Nhược điểm:

Bọc răng sứ Titan ban đầu cũng cho răng đẹp nhưng vì bản chất khung sườn vẫn là hợp kim kim loại nên chiếu quang vẫn thấy có ánh đen và lâu dài vẫn bị tác động của phản ứng oxy hóa làm đen viền nướu.
    So sánh với các loại răng sứ cao cấp khác thì sau một thời gian sử dụng, màu sắc của răng sứ titan có phần đục hơn, không tự nhiên như màu ngà răng thật.
    Răng sứ quý kim: Loại răng này có phần bên trong được làm từ kim loại quý như vàng, platin, palladium và phần sứ phủ bên ngoài.

Răng sứ quý kim
  13. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member

Xem tất cả các loại răng sứ tại dây

Răng toàn sứ

Hiện nay, răng toàn sứ Zirconia là một trong những thế hệ toàn sứ mới và hiện đại hiện nay trên thế giới. Toàn bộ quá trình thiết kế (CAD – Computer Aided Design) và sản xuất (Computer Aided Manufacture) đều thực hiện trên máy tính.

Ưu điểm:

Răng toàn sứ có màu sắc đẹp tự nhiên, không gây dị ứng
    Loại răng sứ này có độ chính xác, thẩm mỹ cao. Sườn được làm bằng zirconia là vật liệu công nghệ cao đã được dùng trong tàu vũ trụ, làm khớp nhân tạo trong y học…, có độ bền và chịu lực rất tốt. Với những ưu điểm trên, răng toàn sứ đang là sự lựa chọn phổ biến.
    Nhược điểm:

Do sử dụng công nghệ CAD/CAM nên phải đầu tư máy móc khá đắt tiền, các thỏi Zirconia đều phải nhập từ Mỹ hoặc Đức nên chi phí cho răng sứ toàn sứ khá cao (khoảng 4.500.000 đồng/chiếc).
    Tuy nhiên, nhờ những ưu điểm cao so với các loại răng sứ truyền thống nên ngày càng có nhiều bệnh nhân chọn loại răng sứ này, nhất là đối với những răng phía trước đòi hỏi độ thẩm mỹ cao.
    Với những phân tích về các loại răng sứ hiện nay, hy vọng bạn sẽ có cái nhìn tổng quan về răng sứ, từ đó chọn cho mình được loại răng sứ phù hợp nhất với mình nhé.