List of Benefits due to Service Connected disability

Discussion in 'General Benefits' started by jwilson, Jul 30, 2004.

1. jwilson

jwilson New Member

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS AVAILABLE FOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABLED VETERANS

EVALUATION BENEFITS
    0% To 20%
    • Certification of Eligibility for home loan guaranty.
    • Home loan guaranty fee exemption.
    • VA Priority medical treatment card.
    • Vocational Rehabilitation and Counseling under title 38 USC Chapter 31 (must be at least 10%)
    • Service Disabled Veterans insurance (Maximum of $10,000 coverage) must file within 2 years from date of new service connection.
    • 10 point Civil Service Preference (10 points added to Civil Service test score).
    • Clothing allowances for veterans who use or wear a prosthetic or orthopedic appliance (artificial limb, braces, or wheelchair) or use prescribed medications for skin condition, which tend to wear, tear or soil clothing.
    • Temporary total evaluation (100%) based on hospitalization for a service connected disability in excess of 21 days; or surgical treatment for a service connected disability necessitating at least 1 month of convalescence or immobilization by cast, without surgery of more major joints.

30% In addition to the above:
    • Additional allowances for dependent(s) [spouse, child(ren), step child(ren), helpless child(ren), full-time students between the ages 18 to 23, and parent(s)]
    • Additional allowances for a spouse who is a patient in a nursing home or helpless or blind or so nearly helpless or blind as to require the aid and attendance of another person.

40% In addition to the above:
    • Automobile grant and/or special adaptive equipment for an automobile provided there is loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet, loss or permanent loss of one or both hands or permanent impaired vision of both eyes with central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in better eye.
    • Special adaptive equipment may also be applied for if there is ankylosis of one or both knees or one or both hips.

50% In addition to the above:
    • VA Medical outpatient treatment for any condition except dental.
    • Preventive health care services.
    • Hospital care and medical services in non-VA facilities under an authorized fee basis agreement.

60% In addition to the above:
    • Increased compensation (100%) based on individual Unemployability (applies to veterans who are unable to obtain or maintain substantially gainful employment due to service connected disability)

100% In addition to the above:
    • Dental treatment.
    • Department of Defense Commissary privileges.
    • Veteran’s employment preference for spouse.
    • Waiver of National Service Life Insurance premiums.
    • National Service Life insurance total disability income provisions.
    • Specially adapted housing for veterans who have loss or permanent loss of use of both lower extremities or the loss or blindness in both eyes having light perception only plus loss or permanent loss of one lower extremity or the loss or permanent loss of use of one lower extremity with loss or permanent loss of use of one upper extremity or the loss or permanent loss of use of one extremity together with an organic disease which affects the function of balance and propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or wheelchair.
    • Special home adaptation Grant (for veterans who don’t qualify for Specially Adapted Housing) may be applied for if the veteran is permanently and totally disabled due to blindness in both eyes with visual acuity or 5/200 or less or loss of or permanent loss of use of both hands.

100% (Permanent and Total) in addition to the above:
    • Civilian Health and Medical Program for dependents and survivors (CHaMPVA)
    • Survivors and dependents education assistance under Title 38 USC Chapter 35
  2. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Good job JW. That is exactly what Ms. B was looking for.
  3. Ms B

Ms B New Member

Thank you for the info--that is exactly what I was trying to find! Ms B :)
  4. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

VA Benefits vs. Service connected disability

I just came across this great information. I do not recall ever seeing the listing before, but admit I never did any on-line research for it either. In any event, all disabled vets should print a copy of the list and keep it with his/her important medical papers where a spouse/family member may need it someday. I also copied it and sent it as an eamil attachment to some active duty folks I maintain contact with from my prior Federal employment (I am now retired). If any vet out there has some buds in the military, they may also want to send it to them for their info. After all, they will soon be a vet who needs VA assistance someday. It pays to know the ground rules in advance. :)
  5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I don't think I'd rely on this as gospel. In examining the 50% catagory:

50% In addition to the above:
    • Hospital care and medical services in non-VA facilities under an authorized fee basis agreement.

It seems to me any veteran, even catagory 7 & 8, is entitled to outpatient care. So what's new here? The only difference is that at 50%, there is no co-pay, but it doesn't say that.

Any veteran can get annual flu shots. Isn't that preventive? Did I miss something? What preventive care is only available to those 50% or more disabled?

My research indicates there is nothing consistant about fee-basis at all. Seems to be available to most any SC veteran who lives too far from a VA treatment facility. Distance seems to vary depending on the VISN.

I'm too lazy to examine all the catagory's but, a quick look indicates questionable statements there also. For instance: One doesn't have to be Service Connected at any percentage to qualify for a VA home loan. While it is a true statement, it is just as true being a veteran with 180 days service is sufficient. I purchased two homes between 1970-80 under the VA home loan program before I was ever SC for anything.

The reason the VA generally doesn't have all the benefits written down in one document is because different services have responsibility for administering the various programs. Each is only interested in dealing with the programs under its control.
  6. maxwell18

maxwell18 New Member

Dental coverage

I just found this site and find it very professional and informative. As I was reading the coverages for 100% disability it said it covers dental. Does that mean it will cover dental even not having any adnormal problems before you retired from the military you can get regular dental coverage?
    Thanks
  7. maxwell18

maxwell18 New Member

Dental coverage

I just found this site and find it very professional and informative. As I was reading the coverages for 100% disability it said it covers dental. Does that mean it will cover dental even not having any adnormal problems before you retired from the military you can get regular dental coverage?
    Thanks
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

9. JLMullins

JLMullins New Member

Hello,
    I am a 60% SC disability retired veteran. Now my Dr. is seeking IU status, what would be my benifits? I don't want to have to stop work even though it is some times hard go to work. My major disability is for depression (50%) and the other is hypertension (10%).

Thanks,
    Jimmy
  10. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Jimmy, please read the part of 38CFR that I have posted below. According to this regulation it appears that you are not eligible to apply for IU at the moment.

Sec. 4.16 Total disability ratings for compensation based on
    unemployability of the individual.

(a) Total disability ratings for compensation may be assigned, where
    the schedular rating is less than total, when the disabled person is, in
    the judgment of the rating agency, unable to secure or follow a
    substantially gainful occupation as a result of service-connected
    disabilities: Provided That, if there is only one such disability, this
    disability shall be ratable at 60 percent or more, and that, if there
    are two or more disabilities, there shall be at least one disability
    ratable at 40 percent or more, and sufficient additional disability to
    bring the combined rating to 70 percent or more.
    For the above purpose
    of one 60 percent disability, or one 40 percent disability in
    combination, the following will be considered as one disability: (1)
    Disabilities of one or both upper extremities, or of one or both lower
    extremities, including the bilateral factor, if applicable, (2)
    disabilities resulting from common etiology or a single accident, (3)
    disabilities affecting a single body system, e.g. orthopedic, digestive,
    respiratory, cardiovascular-renal, neuropsychiatric, (4) multiple
    injuries incurred in action, or (5) multiple disabilities incurred as a
    prisoner of war. It is provided further that the existence or degree of
    nonservice-connected disabilities or previous unemployability status
    will be disregarded where the percentages referred to in this paragraph
    for the service-connected disability or disabilities are met and in the
    judgment of the rating agency such service-connected disabilities render
    the veteran unemployable. Marginal employment shall not be considered
    substantially gainful employment. For purposes of this section, marginal
    employment generally shall be deemed to exist when a veteran's earned
    annual income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S.
    Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, as the poverty threshold
    for one person. Marginal employment may also be held to exist, on a
    facts found basis (includes but is not limited to employment in a
    protected environment such as a family business or sheltered workshop),
    when earned annual income exceeds the poverty threshold. Consideration
    shall be given in all claims to the nature of the employment and the
    reason for termination.
  11. neumaiek

neumaiek New Member

Why the Doctor

Hey Jimmy, why are you having a Dr put in your cliam (or so it seems from your posting) If you would use a competent VSO you would have had the answer to your delima concerning IU from the start. A VSO should be able to better guide you in obtaining the rating you want (if it is possible and legal).
  12. maxtor

maxtor Member

Crdp

Does anyone know what has happened to the IU (individual unemployable) CRDP as to the VA start paying the total retirement instead of phasing out until 1 October 2009? I knew it was moved back from 2014 to 2009 and I know it was coming up again this year in congress but seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I cant find anything on the latest information on this. Can anyone shed some light on this?? Thanks
  13. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I don't believe there's any change. Understand it's part of the Reid amendment of H.R. 5122 The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2007. NDAA is still in conference and congress is adjourned until after elections if I understand correctly.

I don't follow this stuff to closely as I have more urgent issues to worry about. Someone that has the time to watch c-span all day might know for sure.
  14. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

Here's the form

Here's the skinny:
    I applied and received this and it helped me buy a new Dodge Caravan. Definitely a great benefit, even if it's only a one-shot deal for the most part.
    My advice would be to take into consideration the potential resale value of the vehicle you are considering using this for. Also, the process of having the dealer document the prices for features like automatic transmission and A/C was a bit of a pain but can be done.
  15. Rattruck

Rattruck New Member

There are also benefits available through the state.

Many states allow a 100% Permanent disabled veteran an exemption from personal property tax. Other benefits are also available.

Bob T
  16. LesFex

LesFex New Member

Thank you very much for useful information.
  17. Guarango

Guarango New Member

Hi All
    Don't forget that some states also provide free fishing and hunting licenses to disabled veterans. This for you who can still pull a trigger and drown a worm.
  18. pathfinder74

pathfinder74 New Member

True true.

Discussions on: CRSC or CRSC

- Veterans preference for government (federal and state as well I believe)
    - Vocational Rehabilitation (Chap 31)
    - Veterans Home Loan Guarantee: I believe the Purple Heart will exempt you from paying the processing fees
    - Beers paid for if you let people in a bar know you're a vet. ;)