Looking for feedback Re: How my PTSD C&P went

Discussion in 'VA Procedures' started by surfs48, Mar 2, 2006.

1. surfs48

surfs48 New Member

Last Tuesday, I had my C&P exam for PTSD. It seemed to have went well. The Dr.'s report was good, as far as diagnosis went. To sum it up,
    "Meet all criteria for PTSD". Was diagnosed with chronic & severe combat related PTSD. Was considered, " can not fully function daily in employment, family, and home". I was given a GAF score of 29 (my other GAFs were 45 out of my 1st PTSD program, 54 out of my 2nd program, 45 out of my outpatient psychiatry), but the Dr. also put down that I have been handling my own financial affairs. He also put down, "the patient's alcohalism and drug abuse are secondary to my PTSD (I just celebrated 6 years clean on 1/27/06)
    I'm looking for feedback from vets who have already been rated for PTSD as to whether this C&P went well in their opinions and roughly what kind of % I am looking at getting from the VA.
    I thank you all in advance for your feedback.

Semper Fi,

surfs48
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Surf:

Although the comments you posted look positive, we couldn't possibly equate it to an award, much less a particular percentage. The decision maker will review the C & P examiners narrative and compare it with the schedule of ratings to determine percentage. The GAF isn't a significant part of the decision as it represents a single slice of time and not your overall condition. Another issue is your stressor letter. You did submit one, right? All successful PTSD claims have a verifiable stressor.
  3. surfs48

surfs48 New Member

To TinCanMan,
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I did submit a stressor letter (7 pages), along with testimony from my parents, from my girlfriend, and approximately 27 lbs of evidence. For over 6 months, I did my own "leg work". The bulk package included my complete service records, complete service medical records, origional orders, medevac orders from when I got 'busted up' during the ground war in Kuwait, records from the Air Force Hospital in Wiesbaden Germany, court martial proceedings (later suspended) for possession of two Iraqi officers handguns, disability retirement orders (combat injury), 14 photos (VERY graphic) taken during the ground war with me in the photos, 14 years worth of inpatient and outpatient medical/psychological records from various VA hospitals & clinics, psychological records from the institution in which I was incarcerated (I just celebrated 6 years clean on 1/27/06), command chronologies and after action reports (I made 3 trips to the Marine Corps Archives), etc, etc. I then formally submitted all this in bulk to my vet service rep (DAV) who in turn submitted all of it to VARO in Huntington, WV.
    Now with all this evidence, in your honest opinion, what do you think my chances are?
    Once again, thank you very much for getting back in touch. I really appreciate it. And thank you for your initial advice from a couple of weeks back when I asked for 'help' when I went to my C&P.

Semper Fi,

surfs48
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Surf:

About the best I could offer is it sounds encouraging based on your comments but I haven't seen your stressor letter.

All successful claims include 3 elements

1. Military service
    2. A diagnosis of a compensable condition
    3. a nexus or connection between 1 & 2.

You say you have item 1; Your DD214
    You say you have 2; Results of your C & P
    Your stressor letter will either prove or disprove 3

Your letter should describe the key incident leading to your PTSD. If it does and it rises to some level thought to cause PTSD you will be successful.

Since you are a combat vet and can prove it and your stressor occurred in combat, the VA doesn't require records supporting your stressor. I believe they are required to accept your word in this case.
  5. surfs48

surfs48 New Member

thanks for the reply

Thank you for getting back in touch with me, , , your reply has given me some peace of mind.

Semper Fi,

surfs48
  6. EL261

EL261 New Member

I have been scheduled for my C&P at the VA Medical Center in San Francisco. The notification also requested that I fill out two forms (VA Form 21-2545 and VA Form 10-10EZ). The 10-10EZ is an application for health benefits. Why do I have to fill out an application for health benefits, when the reason for going is simply to have an evaluation?
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

You don't have to fill out the 10-10 if you aren't interested in treatment at the expense of the VA and even if you are, you still don't have to fill out the financial section if you are 50% or more service connected disabled .OR. you are willing to pay all co-pays and are not seeking a waiver based on financial hardship.

I've gone thru half a dozen or more C&P's since 1980 extending thru 2004 and I've never seen VA Form 21-2545. The VA is obligated to examine you when you apply for compensation. I never saw anywhere they require you to do the paperwork. Try the "ask a VSO" link at the top of this page.
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

You don't have to fill out the 10-10 if you aren't interested in treatment at the expense of the VA and even if you are, you still don't have to fill out the financial section if you are 50% or more service connected disabled .OR. you are willing to pay all co-pays and are not seeking a waiver based on financial hardship.

I've gone thru half a dozen or more C&P's since 1980 extending thru 2004 and I've never seen VA Form 21-2545. The VA is obligated to examine you when you apply for compensation. I never saw anywhere they require you to do the paperwork. Try the "ask a VSO" link at the top of this page.

They can be very persistent about getting you to fill out your finances. I have had numerous letters and phone calls about this over the years, some even bordered on deception.