Magnanimous 2.7 VA Increase

Discussion in 'General Medical' started by Warveteran, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

The Bush administration has, with much fanfare announced a 2.7% increase to the Department of Veterans Affairs budget for 2006. Sounds like the administration is finally doing something for it’s veterans.
    However, the Office of Budget and Management and the General Accounting Office have estimated the 2.7% increase will only cover the cost of the inflation for 2006.
    Once again, the spin doctors have issued a carefully worded press release to make it sound as through the administration is increasing the VA budget, when in fact all they are doing is keeping pace with inflation.
    To add insult to injury, in the 2005 Budget the administration is seeking a 5% cut in the VA budget. If you include the 2.7% inflation rate that now exist, the Bush proposed budget cut will amount to an actual 7.7% reduction in real dollars to the VA’s 2005 budget.
    Compare the 2.7% increase for 2006, and the loss of 7.7% in 2005, the VA budget will have a net loss to the budget of 5% for the 2006 fiscal VA year.
    Also, there are plans to double prescription co-payments and impose enrollment fees for certain veterans. And while the budget calls for $33.4 billion in discretionary funding that is mostly for health care, it also proposes slashing millions for nursing home care needed by an aging veterans population.
    This administration has increased the VA budget by 47% since 2001, (which speaks poorly of the Clinton administration). If you factor in the inflation rate, the administration has only increase the VA budget by 38% in real dollars. If you add in the net loss of 5% in 2006, the VA budget has only had an average annual increase of 6.6% per year.
    This 6.6% increase is not enough to keep up with the two front wars we are engaged, along with the additional troops involved with Homeland Security. More so, the increase has not kept pace with the every increasing VA drug and medical costs, operating expenses and the influx into the VA system of aging World War II, Korean and Vietnam veterans, nor are they taking into account the many thousands disabled veterans coming back from the Iraq and Afganistan Wars.
    On top of this, the General Accounting Office’s latest audit of the Pentagon finds that the Pentagon cannot account for $1 Trillion dollars.
    How might Rumsfield put it? You have the administration you would like to have and then you have the administration that you really have.
  2. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

Is this want you mean?

Am I to understand that you view COLA increases as a form of a performance raise? Promotions in the VA compensation rate tables are not what I look forward to, rather I view them as a form of trying to keep your rate at pace with inflation. Thanks for keeping us informed with this article though.

The point you may wish to make(I don't know) probably involves the rates as the currently stand. If you intend to say they are not high enough, a fair assumption, then that issue would be totally seperate from the COLA increase. The issue of not getting enough money would have to be addressed by Congress and involve a total review of what is just compensation and how much can the public pay(or willing to pay).
  3. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

Rick:
    The COLA increases are based on the current inflation rate. When the Bush adminastration states it's increasing the VA budget by 2.7%, it is not an increase it a "COLA" for the VA budget. No real increase exist. No real dollars will go into the 2006 VA budget.
  4. stumpy

stumpy New Member

IMHO the VA would have plenty of money if they would return to its original mandate....taking care of disabled Veterans ONLY!
  5. SFC Rick

SFC Rick New Member

Well I certainly must commend the administration for the 2.7% increase over last year's budget. Given the fact that this "is" an increase over last years. It may be only enough to keep up with inflation, which is pretty good when under a war footing, at least I haven't had any rationing cards issued to me yet for beef, gas, or other materials needed for our troops. I understand that if the VA handled diabled vets as the program was designed to do, there would be so much more available. The VA is doing everything it can to help vets who are not disabled which is good, if that vet cannot get health care anywhere else. The VA is building us a new larger facility in my town to handle all the veterans it sees, which last year was about 40,000.
  6. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

If the VA took care of only disabled veterans, then those veterans would have to be disabled at the time of release from active duty. Thus, the VA would only treat those with 0% to 20% service connected disabilities and Tricare would take care of the balance from 30% and higher as these veterans would be medically retired.

Veterans who develop illnesses and other issues that should be service connected could never be attributed to the militray service later on. Why you ask?

Because if you have not been seen by a VA doctor (with or without you civilian doctors records) you cannot be service connected due to what is know as an unfounded claim.

The "promise" was that all veterans would receive medical care my the VA because of their military service, American spirit,honor, duty and scarifice to this country.

It's seems most folks today don't know honor, duty and promises from lies, deceit and selfish power.
  7. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

"If the VA took care of only disabled veterans, then those veterans would have to be disabled at the time of release from active duty. Thus, the VA would only treat those with 0% to 20% service connected disabilities and Tricare would take care of the balance from 30% and higher as these veterans would be medically retired."

Nonsense. Most veterans disabilities worsen with time. How do you explain all those Pri 1 veterans at the VAMC. I see very few retiree's at the VAMC.

"Veterans who develop illnesses and other issues that should be service connected could never be attributed to the militray service later on. Why you ask?"

I didn't ask but it's more nonsense.

"Because if you have not been seen by a VA doctor (with or without you civilian doctors records) you cannot be service connected due to what is know as an unfounded claim."

So what? If you have a condition that arises years after your service you get a diagnosis from your private physician and file a claim. When that claim hits the ratings board they will schedule a C&P at the nearest VAMC. That C&P costs you nothing and the professional you see may or may not be a physician but they can provide the confirmation of your condition and can even provide the diagnosis if necessary. The C&P is an examination/report of your condition, not treatment. They even pay you to drive if the distance is over 30 miles.

"The "promise" was that all veterans would receive medical care my the VA because of their military service, American spirit,honor, duty and scarifice to this country."

The legislation enabling treatment for Pri 8 folks was first enacted in 1996 and all new Pri 8 enrollments was terminated in 2002." In retrospect, that was a mistake on the part of Congress. Even Congress never took it serious as they failed to fund it ever since. This mistake hardly rises to the level of a promise.

"It's seems most folks today don't know honor, duty and promises from lies, deceit and selfish power."

We recognize it. We also recognize the society that has come to believe someone else ought to pay. In the end we must recognize that government has no money. It is the citizens that have the money and for one segment of that society to believe the others should provide them with free health care on the basis of a couple years of service is outrageous.
  8. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

Understanding How the Syetem works (Tin Man)

First of all the reason you don't see many retirees at the VA is due to the fact they must use their TriCare Medical Insurance which involves using a private physician or going to a military base and seeing an active duty doctor.

Any disability save a scar or two will worsen with the age of the veteran. Broken bones develop arthritis, PTSD left untreated for 20 plus years will continue to worsen. Cancers created by exposure to hazardous materials will worsen in time and the list goes. You can't get a C&P unless you have been seen and diagnosed by a VA DOCTOR!

If you live on the 11th floor of a nine story Ivory Tower you believe most people (veterans) have health insurance and are able to pay out of pocket for regular visits to the doctor. What you believe and what is reality are miles apart.

Proposing only disabled veterans are able to use the VA automatically cuts off those from even enrolling with the VA. If the VA doesn't have record of a service connected disability, according to your plan, they can't even register to be interviewed by the VA to be seen my a doctor. If you go directly to a VA service Rep. to file a claim it will automatically be turned down because it is not in your VA jacket.

I'm not talking about Class 7 and 8 veterans. I'm talking about the rest of the veterans who signed up to serve their country with a promise of VA care for doing so.

The reason the government has no money is due to the failed leadership of this administration as well as the past administration. We have an 8 trillion dollar deficit under the present administration and the president want to in crease it by 2 trillion more to privatize the Social Security system.

If you believe lifetime VA health care is outrageous than you should hop on the bandwagon to have truth in recruiting. We need to stop lying to our young man and women about war and the dangers of serving in the military.

It appears that the only thing a veterans is good for is to serve to protect this nation and its people and then cast aside as a used pair of worn out socks. I would agree to that if ever person between the ages of 18 and 30 had to serve a mandatory 2 years in the defense of the nation.
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

"First of all the reason you don't see many retirees at the VA is due to the fact they must use their TriCare Medical Insurance which involves using a private physician or going to a military base and seeing an active duty doctor."

This is plain silly. If I were to believe you, the only folks using the VHA would be those under 30% SC. Have you ever been in a VAMC. Am I to believe they are all under 30%? Why do I have to wait a year for some appointments?

"Any disability save a scar or two will worsen with the age of the veteran. Broken bones develop arthritis, PTSD left untreated for 20 plus years will continue to worsen. Cancers created by exposure to hazardous materials will worsen in time and the list goes. You can't get a C&P unless you have been seen and diagnosed by a VA DOCTOR!"

You are so patently mis-informed regarding the VA claim process as to approach the absurd. I hope you aren't advising veterans regarding their benefits. Please stick around and try to listen to folks that do understand. This is a prime reason web sites like Veterans Resources exists, to help veterans thru the claim process. Just for starters, let me be really clear about this: YOU DO NOT NEED A DIAGNOSIS BY A VA DOCTOR TO GET A C & P. You don't even need one from a private physician. Where ever did you learn this?

"If you live on the 11th floor of a nine story Ivory Tower you believe most people (veterans) have health insurance and are able to pay out of pocket for regular visits to the doctor. What you believe and what is reality are miles apart."

Contrary to new think, most folks in the U.S. are employed. Hillary Clinton's own statistics while she was Slick Willie's Health Tzar indicated 20% of the U.S. population did not have some form of health insurance.

"Proposing only disabled veterans are able to use the VA automatically cuts off those from even enrolling with the VA. If the VA doesn't have record of a service connected disability, according to your plan, they can't even register to be interviewed by the VA to be seen by a doctor. If you go directly to a VA service Rep. to file a claim it will automatically be turned down because it is not in your VA jacket."

Non-sense! Please try to avoid explaining benefits to veterans until you have a meaningful understanding of what they are.

"I'm not talking about Class 7 and 8 veterans. I'm talking about the rest of the veterans who signed up to serve their country with a promise of VA care for doing so."

Cite please. There was never any promise by recruiting that could have lead a recruit to believe they were entitled to a lifetime of medical care. There was a recent court case that examined this issue and the court ruled that after 1958 there was no promise to recruits that if they served 20 years they would be entitled to free health care. If they weren't making that promise wrt 20 years of service, they certainly didn't do it for the single term recruit. I joined in 1960 and I never once was promised free medical for life unless I served 20. The only promise was that we would be cared for in the event we were injured in service.

"The reason the government has no money is due to the failed leadership of this administration as well as the past administration. We have an 8 trillion dollar deficit under the present administration and the president want to in crease it by 2 trillion more to privatize the Social Security system.

Try to understand, government, any government doesn't have money. What they have is the power to take it from those that work. Personally, I'd like to see Social Security privatized and the employee be able to invest and manage his own account. It works for Federal employee's, why not others?

"If you believe lifetime VA health care is outrageous than you should hop on the bandwagon to have truth in recruiting. We need to stop lying to our young man and women about war and the dangers of serving in the military."

Non-sense! No recruiter is telling potential recruits such baloney. You made that up out of whole cloth to meet your agenda.

"It appears that the only thing a veterans is good for is to serve to protect this nation and its people and then cast aside as a used pair of worn out socks. I would agree to that if ever person between the ages of 18 and 30 had to serve a mandatory 2 years in the defense of the nation."

Try to get a grip on reality. Your service was yesterday. That was then, this is now. What have you done for your country today?
  10. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

You are right in everything you say. So, what's the point of an open discussion. Screw the veterans. This seems to me the attitude since "W" Wacko began his second trip to the Whitehouse

The Neo Con's attacked McCain, Cleland, Harris, Gore and Kerry. It's unpopular to be a real combat veteran and run for political office these days.

All we need now are some brown shirts with arm bands and have Bush grow a short under the nose mustache.

Take care comrade

P.S. Don't complain about waiting up to a year for an appointment. Your Neo Con friends keep cutting the VA budget. Complain to them.

P.S.S. I'm 100% T&P I don't have to wait a year for an appointment. Because I'm 100% I have to be seen within 30 days. My problem is I care about all veterans who have stood the watch being it peacetime or during war.
  11. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Dick Carey, VVnW, Inc., Life Member
    USMC Vietnam Tankers Assn.
    Founder/President
    I'm a Vietnam Combat Veteran 1968/69 but I will has to said that Stampy has a good point and that is for the VA to go back to helping the needed Veterans and not every Tom ,Dick and Hairy ; which is the case most of the time lately. Serve any Vets that truly need the help and get some of the free righters out of the VA system so the VA can opretate with just causes . (So, what's the point of an open discussion. Screw the veterans. This seems to me the attitude since "W" Wacko began his second trip to the Whitehouse The Neo Con's attacked McCain, Cleland, Harris, Gore and Kerry. It's unpopular to be a real combat veteran and run for political office these days.) If you called the names about are just in there causes because the were in Vietnam ; Well I'm a Veteran and I don't give a Damm for most of the ones you names. IFs Gore and Kerry are you type of peoples then I ask GOD to forgive you for you know not what your saiding or doing for this Country. I fought for the rights and freedom of this Country and I was drafted served two years but I didn't come home and kiss the Viet Cong ASS like some did!
    May the LORD Bless you and heal HIS broken land ; the Great USA forever !
  12. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

Rainvet:

You're blinded by your politics.

You only use the names that fit your agrument.

You and your ilk just don't get it.
  13. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Personally, I'm not interested in the political agenda. The election is over and Bush won... again. If you want to argue politics, try a political forum. This is a General Medical thread. I came here to offer assistance to veterans in understanding the claims process and to learn some new tricks myself. I do however, take offense to your claim the present administration has cut the VA budget. That is simply not so and repeated attempts to introduce a lie doesn't make it so.

The facts are that in the 8 years of the Clinton administration, the VA budget increased 31% and during the 4 years of the Bush administration the VA budget increased 37%. So it seems Bush has contributed at least 10% more than Clinton in half the time. OK, now tell me again where that cut comes in? What's that you say? You don't believe me? Go here for a breakdown/comparison of the VA budget for the last 12 years: http://www.fortliberty.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59

I have several other sources that analyze the Bush and Clinton VA budgets if this one isn't to your liking.
  14. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

Tincan:

You say you are not politically bias and then you supply me with a "right wing" web site link to prove your point.

Duh.
  15. rainvet

rainvet New Member

WarVeteran ; I have served my country the US military ,in the ARMY for your and my rights and freedom . I completed that tour of Duty and now I am honor and prided to served in a greater Army and that being in ( GOD Army of One. ) Will you join with me and serve the LORD our GOD. Thank you JESUS !
  16. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

Rainvet:

Thanks for asking.

I am a Buddist.
  17. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

OK, now I'm beginning to understand why you're having such difficulty understanding the facts. The problem is comprehension, reading comprehension. Apparently, you simply don't understand what you read. It's the only reasonable explanation for why you claim a budget cut and why you seem to believe a veteran must have a diagnosis from a VA physician in order to get a C&P exam.

In my last post I say "Personally, I'm not interested in the political agenda". From that you come to the conclusion I said I wasn't politically bias [sic]. I never said that nor did I imply it. Precious few people harbor no political bias, least of all, me. However, I still have no interest or intent of discussing politics here or with you. Go back and re-read my post, go for comprehension this time.

You also complain the link I provided was a "right wing" site. Well, no kidding! ...of course it is. Since the big lie of the VA budget cut is being published by the liberal elitist, did you really think they would also be interested in publishing facts that expose their lie for what it is? The only folks interested in collating and analyzing this information are the people being damaged by the lie. I guess I could have directed you to the VA budget office and let you work the numbers. In light of the way this discussion is going, a simple bar chart was the appropriate tool.

The fact of the matter is if the present administration doesn't provide the VA with one red cent additional in their budget, it will still have provided at least ten percent more than the clinton administration did. In other words, this nonsense of a VA budget cut is a big lie and I defy you to show that it isn't.
  18. Warveteran

Warveteran New Member

I'm also a hindu, I'm shintoist, I'm anything you want to find fault with.

The present proposed 1.1% budget "increase" by Republican Byers, VA Budget Chairman, is a 1.6% decease in actual dollars to the VA budget since the inflation rate or the cost of Living adjustment (COLA) is 2.7%.

You are assuming I'm am a Clintionist and that assumption sums up why you have a closed and narrow mind.

You just don't get it.
  19. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Warveteran:I'm still your Brother and GOD Loves us all, for we are all are
    Sinner and will be to the day JESUS return for HIS CHURCH which will be soon!
  20. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

It wasn't me tossing around references to Neo Con's and "W" Wacko. See, that would be you trying to stir political nonsense. I also don't care what religion you practice. What I do get, though is the big lie. The VA budget might be less than you want and might be less than the rate of inflation but it is still not a "Cut" no matter how you slice the pie. The fact still remains that "W"'s administration raised the VA budget 37% over 4 years and if the VA now has to take a back seat to OIF you'll just have to get used to it. Hopefully, Congressmam Buyer will be able to get the Cat 7 & 8's off the VHA teat so that they can provide the necessary services to the service connected veterans that .are. entitled to medical care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.