More info on organ donation

Discussion in 'Active Duty' started by Iedda, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Iedda

Iedda New Member

Good day all,
    I am new to the site and am in desperate need to many questions concerning organ donation. I will be undergoing a kidney donation to my young sister in March 08. We are both currently on active duty in the Navy. SHe has completed the MED Board process and has recieved 100% disability. I am considering ending my active duty service but am trying to make sure that I have my ducks in a row. I have many questions concerning this process including:
    1. Will I be able to continue my active duty service?
    2. Will I be limited to recieving limited choices of billets?
    3. Is there a standard disability rating assigned by the VA?
    4 Will I be able to re-enter the military if I were to get out at the end of this enlistment?
    ANy information concerning this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!:)
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I haven't been able to find anything on organ loss or donation. I'm suspecting it may require a waiver for enlistment or re-enlistment and waivers are very specific to your personal situation. I doubt it can be answered generically. I'd recommend you work with your Career Counselors or contact:

Chief, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
    ATTN: MED-CODE 25
    2300 E Street NW
    Washington, DC 20372-5300

for specific guidance. I did find on a Army site that donation of a kidney within the previous 2 years would preclude enlistment. On the other hand, it implies loss of a kidney isn't necessarily a complete bar.
  3. Iedda

Iedda New Member

Thanks...

Thank you so much for that information. I will contact the reps at that center in hopes of gaining more insight into what steps I will need to complete in order to make this process a little smoother. :)
    Thanks again,

Iedda
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I did a little more research and talked with someone in a position to know. This is what I was told:

Having only one kidney is a disqualifying factor for someone wishing to join the U.S. military.

Medical standards to join the military, and standards to remain in the military are two different things. When it comes to remaining in the military, it depends primarily if the person's medical condition interferes with the proper performance of their military duties. I suspect you will be be med boarded and the MEB/PEB process will determine if you can continue to meet performance standards.

If you get out, and then want to re-enter the military, then we're back to the original medical standards for enlistment. However, a medical waiver, could be possible. Note: That's a possibility, not a probability. Waivers are very specific to a specific situation. Almost impossible to predict the outcome.