Need Help: Medical Bill and Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Health Care Benefits' started by vetspouse, Nov 8, 2009.

1. vetspouse

vetspouse New Member

I'm a CHAMPVA beneficiary. Recently I got a bill saying my insurance rejected one of my medical bill claims made by the hospital. So this bill tells me how much I owe. Now I have three questions:

First, can we pay this bill via online banking or do we have to send a check? If we can pay online, how do we trace the payment? My name is on the bank account which is jointly owned, and has the name and address cited in the bill. Would that be enough for them to track it?

Second, when I logged in to www.peryourhealth.com to check my medical insurance and billing info, I was surprised to find the name of my insurance listed there is TriWest. I think this is TriCare's regional branch in the west coast, which is where I live. But the TriCare web site clearly states CHAMPVA is separate and is not managed by TriCare. Is this an error or what?

Third, if we pay the bill by installment (it's pretty big), is there a penalty or interest?
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No one here can tell you about paying your bill. That would be between you, your bank and the medical provider. TriWest may just be the billing agency contracted by CHAMPVA, co-incidentally, they perform the same function for TriCare. I can tell you that you cannot have both TriCare and CHAMPVA concurrently. It's one or the other.

You say CHAMPVA rejected the bill. I would check with them and find out exactly why it was rejected. Frequently it's a small issue of detail like wrong billing code. You can usually resolve these unless it's an un-allowed service.