New chat room

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by slapyo, Jul 10, 2004.

1. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have added a chat room to the site. This feature is available to members only, so in order to use it make sure you are signed in, otherwise it will not display the chat.

It will use your username from the message board. However, if your username is longer than 16 characters it will be cut off. Also if your username contains any special characters (not letters or numbers) those are removed as well.

If you have any problems with the chat, let me know. Hope to see you guys in there as well as here on the boards.

You can find the link to the chat room in the menu across the top of every page.
  2. stumpy

stumpy New Member

Could you explain how the chat room works. If a member goes into the chat room, how would another member know that someone is in there or is there a way to invite someone in?
  3. slapyo

Basically, you have to be logged into the message board. Then you just click the CHAT link and it will take you to the chat room. Currently there is no way to know if anyone is in the chatroom, however I am working on that and will hopefully have something up soon. There is no way to invite people into the chat room. Although it isn't impossible it would require more work than showing who is in the chat room. I will for sure get something working showing who is currently in the chat room. Thanks for the suggestions.
  4. slapyo

Sorry, the chat room is down till I can get it working properly. There were some major problems with it running that were causing other problems on the server. I will get it back up as soon as I can.
  5. BEING

BEING New Member

There is IRC chat I'm sure people will like.

Blu_Star and I have been working in a chat network of very friendly people that would be happy to let you use a chat room until you have one ready.
    We have about 10 full time opers that keep an eye on things. We run a family orientated place on the internet.
    Feel free to check out the web site.

StarLink-IRC
  6. SoldierByte

SoldierByte New Member

Mighty Fine job...

I am looking forward to the new "chat" room. I must admit that at first I misjudged both your intent and ability,.. let it now suffice to say... "you HAVE convinced me!!!!!"... Anything I can do to assist, please feel free to contact me. Your sites are supurb.. I too "work" and "do" for Vets and their families, as I am a Viet Nam combat vet myself (V.A. rated 100%) .. I wish you my best...
    Take Care & Stay Safe....
    [--SoldierByte--] :D
    :cool: E-Mail.. [email protected]
    and/or - [email protected]
    :) http://www.SoldierByte.com
    :) http://www.SoldierByte.us
  7. slapyo

Thank you BEING. I had an IRC room up on the site but was running into problems with it. I am looking into a solution that will use the message board database to run the chat room. This way names in the chat room can easily be related to the names on the message board.
  8. slapyo

Thank you SoldierByte. As soon as I can get the chat room up and going I will. For right now all we have is the message board.

The only thing to do right now is to advertise the site and get it out there to the veterans and family members of veterans. The more people we have that sign up and ask questions and help out veterans the better! So right now I am trying to advertise the site as much as possible. Any help from anyone on the boards to advertise the site would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to see this board grow and help many veterans and their families. I know there are alot of people out there that need help. I'd like this site to be the place they come to get that help. As well as make some new friends along the way.
  9. SoldierByte

SoldierByte New Member

Am pulling your slack good buddy...

Slappy,..
    I have taken the liberty of posting your new site addy at approx. 53 sites, including my own, and at a number of the "gals" sites I frequent, monitor, or manage... Those that have visited, all seem to like your place too. Most of my places are "vet type", although one not need be military to join. I wish you luck, and am here if you need me...
    Take Care & Stay Safe...
    :p ---SoldierByte---
    :cool: [email protected]
    [email protected]
    :cool: http://www.SoldierByte.com
    http://www.SoldierByte.us
  10. slapyo

Thanks a ton SoldierByte. I really appreciate the help that you and everyone else has given me so far. I think that if we can keep this going that we can all make this site a huge success and help a bunch of veterans.

BTW, I like your avatar. It's pretty cool!
  11. SoldierByte

SoldierByte New Member

Happy to oblige....

Yes... I do think this place will, and can turn out to be a winner,.. AND a place the guys (and gals) can come to not only for help and assistance, but comraderie (sp) too.. Glad you like my little avatar.. I gots a million of em..!! I hates to just have plane jane stuff.. :(
    I am a bit pressed now for ANYTHING, my systems crashed, and I have just completed re-configuring my back-ups and their redundancy back-ups... My servers (2) are all fine, and I have just started on my last step.. that is my primary system, it is a real witch.. :mad:
    I am limping along now, but hope to be fully up and running with ALL systems operational in about a week or so....
    I am trying to stay in touch, but am just barly keeping up... Once I am back up to speed, I'll stay close...
    If the need arises, I have access's on Yahoo, sbcglobal, msn, earthnet,AOL, Lycos (Netscape), and about every other commercial ISP... I am not difficult to find, just so durn busy.... but I really like what you are doing here... Are these all FTP, or do you utilize FrontPage or any other publishing software??
    Enough for now...

Take Care & Stay Safe...
    ---SoldierByte---
    :cool: [email protected]
    [email protected]
    :cool: http://www.SoldierByte.com
    http://www.SoldierByte.us
  12. slapyo

I hand code all of my websites in Textpad. I would use Wordpad that comes with Windows, but it doesn't show me line numbers. This forum software is vBulletin. The site uses a combination of PHP and MySQL to make it completely dynamic.
  13. slapyo

OK, the chat room is now back open for use. You have to be logged in in order to access the chat room. You will see the link across the top and it will open a new window for you to chat in while you browse the forums. Also you will notice the () next to the chat link. This will indicate how many people are in the chat room.

If you have any problems with the new chat please let me know.