new here, young diabetic, DM 1

Discussion in 'Diabetes' started by collegevet, Jul 21, 2007.

1. collegevet

collegevet New Member

Hi, all! This is my first post here and I have a few questions about DM1 and the VA.

I got dx'd in 2004 in Afghanistan. VA rated me at service connected 40% (multiple daily injections, no physical activity at certian BG levels, restricted diet, 1 episode of DKA). I also got 30% from anxiety disorder caused by dx of DM1 and documented ER trips for hypoglycemia and psychiatric counseling. I had a really hard time facing this dx with being young and in good health.

I'm not overwieght and have no complications yet.

VA is great about sending me non-formulary insulin and all my supplies. I could go as often as I wanted to see RD/endo, but the nearest VA that sees type 1 is 150 miles away, so I am going every three months.

Basically, what I want to know is what will happen to me as I get older, like if I develop complications? How will I know to file for a ratings increase or file a claim?

What if I want to go on a pump? Right now, VA endo wants me to stay on multiple injections for tight control and because I have a history of low BG. I want to go on the pump, but don't really know if VA will pay.

What about new developments in diabetes management? How can I get VA to pay for anything new they might develop in the future?

Also, with concern to anxiety/depression, how long did it take you to accept your dx and not wake up every day fearful or depressed?

Basically, I just want to give a shout out to my fellow diabetic vets and get some experiences of how it is to age with DM while using the VA healthcare system.

Thanks for any imput!:)
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The best way is to stay in contact with other veterans and veterans service organizations. When new conditions develop, talk with your medical professionals and ask them if your new conditions are caused by (secondary to) your existing service connected conditions. If they are, it's time to get a Service Officer (SO) and consider filing a new claim. Also, if existing conditions worsen, contact a SO and run it by them.

VA does authorize the pump, but it will be your doctors decision.

The VA will pay for anything medically necessary to treat your Service Connected (SC) and non-SC conditions and since you are 50% SC it will be free. You won't get the latest whiz-bang technique until it becomes routine in the medical community but there are alternatives. Choice of drugs is also limited by VA pharmacy board decisions. Your doctor can prescribe whatever but it ultimately depends on the pharmacy board. You're dealing with socialized medicine here. Not much different than any HMO that makes decisions that consider cost as part of the treatment. Even if you have fee for service medical care your insurance will decide what treatments they will/won't pay for. The alternative is to become wealthy and pay for it yourself.

PDQ, like within days. I'm a very practical person. Obsessing over things I can't control is a waste of my time. I focused on moving on.

I have DMII. I was dx'ed April 1999. I'll be 65 in a few mos. I have the advantage of having other family members with diabetes. My mother has DMII and is 96. She was dx'ed 40 years ago. My cousin has Type I and was diagnosed at 26 while in law school. That was over 30 years ago. She uses the pump. Obviously, it isn't a death sentence and you can live a full life like anyone else with some restrictions. You'll need to learn to control your diet and exercises and you probably won't allow yourself to become an alcoholic. At, least not for long. It's all about what you make of it.

Oh, if you're traveling 150 miles to a VAMC, don't forget to stop at the Travel clerk/Cashier and collect Travel allowence. it's $.11/mi less $3 each direction. Not much, but it pays for a nice lunch.
  3. richaf78

richaf78 New Member

40% I only got 20%, Plus 10 for my shoulder and 10 for my thyroid, I need to contact my DAV to try to get this raised, I was diagnosed in March of this year. I just received my rating 2 day's ago I don't have any problems dealing with this disease. My buddy that I served with has just been diagnosed with MS, you got to keep it in perspective. My first AIC was a 5. You'll do fine.

My email is [email protected]. Email me and I will talk to you about what I have been going through.

I would like to find out about your rating and the exact wording that was used to determine it. I don't know why I was only awarded 20 percent and you got 40.
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Please understand the VA isn't operating a bidding for ratings game. The rating you received is based on statute and regulation. Why is it you think you ought to have more? I think you will be disappointed unless you understand the laws.
  5. Vike17

Vike17 Member

7913 Diabetes mellitus

Requiring more than one daily injection of insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities (avoidance of strenuous occupational and recreational activities) with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring at least three hospitalizations per year or weekly visits to a diabetic care provider, plus either progressive loss of weight and strength or complications that would be compensable if separately evaluated......100%

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring one or two hospitalizations per year or twice a month visits to a diabetic care provider, plus complications that would not be compensable if separately evaluated .....60%

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities....40%

Requiring insulin and restricted diet, or; oral hypoglycemic agent and restricted diet .....20%

Manageable by restricted diet only ......10%

Note (1): Evaluate compensable complications of diabetes separately unless they are part of the criteria used to support a 100 percent evaluation. Noncompensable complications are considered part of the diabetic process under diagnostic code 7913.

Note (2): When diabetes mellitus has been conclusively diagnosed, do not request a glucose tolerance test solely for rating purposes.

Vike 17
  6. Kingsley

Kingsley Guest

Hi,
    I am really surprised to see that you are facing the problem of the diabetic.
    Whats the main reason behind it that you you face the problem in a very young age.
  7. paulpjack

paulpjack New Member

8. abc160561b1

abc160561b1 Member