News feeds in forums?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by slapyo, Aug 4, 2006.

1. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

Would you guys be interested in having news feeds in the forums? I would create 2 new forums, one for each news feed. The forum software would then post the articles in the forums. You could then reply to any of the posts and discuss them?

Sound like something you would be interested in? Lemme hear the feedback. I think it's a pretty cool feature we could use.

It would post the news articles that you can see on this page:
    http://www.veteransresources.org/news.php

Under these 2 categories:
    Military Veterans News
    American Forces Information Services - News Articles
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Speaking only for myself, I'm not sure that would be beneficial. The way I see it, most "news" is informative and not something I need to discuss. When I find something new out there of interest to vets, I usually post it in "Current Events" and if someone wants to respond, they can. We can do the same with the "news" but I may not be the typical veteran reader. As a DoD employee I'm entitled to use AFIS Early Bird service which is much more inclusive. Every morning, Early Bird is the second thing I do, right after responding to my e-Mail accumulation.
  3. slapyo

slapyo Administrator Staff Member

Good point, I didn't think about it like that but that is very true.

Unfortunately the AFIS Early Bird news feed is only available to those on a .mil site, or if you have the appropriate login. It would be a great feed to add to Veterans Resources, at least on the news page. I am going to contact them and see if there would be any way I could get the news feed. They have a contact email for sites that don't fit the criteria but that would like to use the service.
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I doubt they'd do that as it's repackaged copyright material. Apparently they have some right to distribute this material to military and defense employees. It isn't even available to retiree's. Not quite sure how they can do this w/o breaking copyright.

In a usenet forum, I've read and discussed copyright and don't see any specific provisions permitting this. I must have missed something.
  5. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

TinCanMan, you may be missing a great idea...

My Friend,

I think you may be missing a great idea! I too had a nice juicy Government job (17Yrs) working for the Dept of the Army after retiring from USMC. I remember very well sitting at my desk for 1-2 hours daily (@ over $23.00 per hour + great perks) and just reading e-mail nonsense, news stories that civilians & retirees didn't get and jokes. Great life! Our tax dollars at work!! But I believe Slapyo is right to want a news-feed forum. Many of us can no longer sit at a Gov. PC and read the latest news, whether it's "informative" or not.

By the way does your comment,"The way I see it, most "news" is informative and not something I need to discuss", mean that you read the "news" and take it at face value and don't feel a need to discuss or provide an opinion on whatever it says? WOW!

Of course now, we see that from the numerous responses to Slapyo's question, there may be many who agree with you on this. Anyhow, I personally think some links to news from reliable and reputable sources that will keep our vets up-to-date is another good idea from the webmaster.

TinCanMan, I hope I haven't offended you. I don't mean to! - Don

Slapyo, Try: VFW Washington Weekly
    www.military.com
    And there are others. Maybe someone will send in some more ideas.
    DonaldN
  6. sooner1938

sooner1938 New Member

Delete...........
  7. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

YEP! That's me!
  8. sooner1938

sooner1938 New Member

Delete...........
  9. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Don, I think you missed the entire crux of the conversation. What Donnie asked was: "Would you guys be interested in having news feeds in the forums?" Key to that sentence was the phrase "in the forums". At least that's the way I took it and what I responded to.

This website is multiple things, one of them being the forums, where we are now. Look at the top of your screen, the navigation bar that begins with e-mail. Those are all links to various parts of the web site. Only one link goes to a forum. One of the options is News. Thats where I thought News ought to be. Donnie was proposing that information be located here in the forums so that anyone that wanted to comment about an article could do so. I thought it was fine where it was at although his proposal does have merits. I wasn't against more news, just where it was located. At least that's the way I saw it. Others may think differently although it took almost a month for anyone to say something. If you want more news tell Donnie that, especially if you know of a good feed.

I see most "news" as informative and some I want to discuss with others. When I read about BillyBobs wedding I think OK and move on. On the other hand when I read about a child molester moving into the neighborhood I want to talk with my neighbors about it. See what I mean? The same applies to where the news is located on this site. If it is in the forums, I can immediately start commenting about it. Whereas, if it is in the news link, I have to cut and paste the relevant portions into the forums at Current Events before I comment.

Where it's at works for me. It may not work for you and if you want more news or have a good feed, let Donnie know what you want.

Years ago I used to go to a site called The History News Network. It was put up by historians at Geo. Mason University and had a format similar to what Donnie proposed. I didn't care for it much as the comments got in the way of the news but I gave it up in the end as it became politicized and just historians pontificating about politics.

I don't know where you worked but I don't have 2 hours a day for surfin'. That's why I like EarlyBird. I can get all the news that's important to me as a defense worker in about 15 minutes. OTOH I do spend 2 hours a day reading and responding to e-Mail and it's getting worse. It is however primarily how I communicate with the folks that use the IT products I manage and make available on our network. I have customers in Bangor WA, Boston MA, SanDiego CA, Everett WA, Ingleside TX and Sasebo Japan and I'm not at any of those places. e-Mail is the best way for us to communicate.
  10. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

DonaldN:

You said you were a simple servant for 17 years. Take a look in the ChitChat forum. Question for you Re retirement.
  11. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

Cushy Job

I guess I had a cushy DAC job. ;)

When I was on active duty I actually grew to hate civilians that "worked" on Camp Pendleton. I had night duty and used to watch them sitting on the back loading dock of the 16 area messhall drinking coffee and eating pastries that the night baker gave them. Used to be 4-5 sitting there most of the night. Funny how time changes things and I couldn't do that when I became a DAC employee.:(
    DonaldN
  12. sooner1938

sooner1938 New Member

Delete...........
  13. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

Good For You :)

My thoughts on the Veterans Resources NEWS is that it is very good but it can still use news links with information such as:

CRSC Pay for Military Retirees
    HR 1366 would authorize combat-related special compensation (CRSC) pay to any military retiree who is entitled to retired pay and has a combat-related disability. (Currently, a retiree must meet those requirements and also have completed at least 20 years of retirement-creditable military service.). HR 1366 would provide a special compensation rule for medical disability retirees retired under Chapter 61 with less than 20 years of service. This legislation would benefit 188,000 Chapter 61 medical disability retirees. Unfortunately, as written, HR 1366 would exclude reservists with at least 15 retirement years who are given constructive credit for 20 years for retirement because of their disability. For more information on CRSC, visit Military.com.

This came to me from military.com today at 1130 Hrs. It could possibly be listed in the "VR NEWS" link OR as its own forum.
  14. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Don:

Ya have to be really careful about making judgment calls regarding other folks performance unless you really know what they're doing. When I first hired in I worked as a maintenance machinist and we worked all over a 200 acre site. Management had to trust us and we were left to structure our day as necessary. Consequently we didn't have formal breaks. We grabbed a coke or geedunk when time permitted. No biggie, every one was happy. I often repaired machine tools in the production shops. Occasionally I'd observe all the machinists in the lunch room cokin' and smokin'. Sorta pissed me off, wondered why they weren't out workin like the rest of us. After a while I'd come to learn they were on one of two union negotiated breaks and other than that, they stood behind their machine and churned out parts like automatons. No smokin' no cokes' no coffee' and no sitting down or reading anything other than plans. After I'd figured that out. I realized I'd rather have my sister workin in a whore house than a brother behind a lathe. Ya have to be careful about perceptions.

These days I'm an IT worker and I'm really left to decide how to structure my day. We have formal rules about when we have to be at work but they're disregarded. I come to work when I need to be there and I go home when The job is done. Sometimes I work weekends, graveyard swing or days. I may stay for 10 or go home after 6. I might even take a nap in the lunch room. Generally, the company gets better than 8 for 8. We try to be flexible and be there when necessary but any one thinking we worked a straight 8 on days would be wondering. I'm really lucky. I like my job and my supervisors. Read an article some where that indicated 80% of Americans absolutely abhorred their job. These days I'm getting old and it's hard to keep up with the kids. Pretty soon time for me to retire. I've got 20 mil and over 25 CSRS. There are 12,000 workers here and I'll bet there aren't 10 of us that are CSRS.
  15. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

If ya have something news worthy, put it in current events and create all the links ya want
  16. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

More on Slapyo's question

I don't think creating many links is the answer when one posted link will do no matter what forum it's posted in. I see more information useful to military/veterans and retirees here than on the other. But both serve a good purpose and can be made available to us all. Some don't look at the VR NEWS link because it contains so much political ramblings that are in the newspapers /Time . Newsweek, etc. Check the following. Now I'll let my half of this discussion fade away like an "old Soldier" ;)
    Add [email protected] to your address book to ensure delivery of Military.com Newsletters

Can't see the email below? Go to:www.military.com/NL_MR/1,14852,3649,00.html

Military Report is the most comprehensive military benefits and quality-of-life newsletter for military personnel and retirees.

--- 28 AUGUST 006 ---
    Air Force Conducts Climate Survey
    Deal of the Week: EnergyFizz Extremeâ„¢
    Air Force Launches MySpace.com Profile
    Claim Your Military Experience
    Army Cracks Down on Impaired Drivers
    Join The American Legion
    Army Increasing Foreign Area Corps
    Commissaries Schedule Case Lot Sale
    DoD Reports on Predatory Lending
    Exchange Online Store Now Sells Uniforms
    Family Day Sept. 25th
    Featured Job: You Are the Power Behind Blackwater
    Fleet Marine Force Course Coming
    Freedom Walk Momentum Builds
    Korean Medal Process Automated
    CRSC Pay for Military Retirees
    Medical Records Going Electronic
    New Aircraft Platforms for Patients
    New USO Center Opens
    Promotion Testing Windows Expanded
    RE/MAX Helps Military Spouses With Careers
    Scholarship Program Seeks Applicants
    Updating Pay Account Status
    Website Honors Air Force Heroes
    Changes to TRICARE for Life
    TRICARE Fraud Warning
    Armed Forces Voters Week
    Print and Post This Week's Military Report
    Headline Military News

Go to www.military.com/NL_MR/1,14852,3649,00.htm to open any of the above subjects.
  17. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

The AFIS news service is too political?????? It's just a news clipping service of veterans issues from media all over the country. I read AFIS, EarlyBird, GoogleNews, The NY Times, The South China Morning Post, The Straits Times, The Taipei Times and several of the european papers every day. Hell, I even read Al Jazeera just to see what the other side is thinking. One thing I know is all news is flavored. All news has a spin. Because it is colored doesn't mean it's bad, it just reflects the publishers views. I get newsletters from a variety of veterans oriented sources. To be well informed, you have to read all the flavors and form your own opinion.

Having said that, one place I seldom go is military.com. Not because they have a different spin but because they often get it wrong and are frequently late to the table. I have an account there and go when there are new shipmates in the registry but other wise I pretty much stay away. An example is the Knight Ridder report on the Midwest vets "getting cheated". Larry the loon pounded his drum on that for mos, acting as if the VA was going to turn everything upside down and everyone was going to see the big payday. He got it wrong bigtime. No payday and nothing changed. Now we have pilpot pounding the CSRC/CRDP backpay issue. I don't see one official or official agency saying one word in public. There's something wrong there but that's just my take. Additionally there are any number of errors regarding veteran benifits.
  18. LITTLEREDSH

LITTLEREDSH New Member

That isn't all that military.com gets wrong.