News From The U.s. Senate Committee On Veterans’ Affairs

Discussion in 'Homeless Veterans Information' started by rainvet, Mar 14, 2006.

1. rainvet

rainvet New Member

Homeless Veterans ???

VA offers a wide array of special programs and initiatives specifically designed to help homeless veterans live as self-sufficiently and independently as possible. In fact,VA is the only Federal agency that provides substantial hands-on assistance directly to homeless persons. Although limited to veterans and their dependents, VA's major homeless-specific programs constitute the largest integrated network of homeless treatment and assistance services in the country.

VA's specialized homeless veterans treatment programs have grown and developed since they were first authorized in 1987. The programs strive to offer a continuum of services that include:

aggressive outreach to those veterans living on streets and in shelters who otherwise would not seek assistance; clinical assessment and referral to needed medical treatment for physical and psychiatric disorders, including substance abuse;longterm sheltered transitional assistance, case management, and rehabilitation;employment assistance and linkage with available income supports; and supported permanent housing.

http://www1.va.gov/homeless/
  2. greenway555

greenway555 New Member

Disabled, Homeless and not included

I called the VA Homeless Hotline and they told me unless I were suffering from substance abuse or mentally ill, they did not have any help for me. I was trying to get some help finding a job. I then called an E-mailed several non-profit organizations such as DAV and American Legion. They never even responded. I then called United Way they atleast called me back and offered some resources. Let's face it, We should have run to Canada and waited on the Pardon. A low paying Government job sounds really good right now.
  3. greenway555

greenway555 New Member

20% disabled, homeless=no help

I contacted the VA Homeless hotline and they told me that unless I were mentally ill or drug dependant they could not help me. I was trying to get some help finding a job. I then contacted several Service organizations such as DAV and American Legion. They never responded. I then contacted United Way. They did offer some resources such as food. Let's face it, We were stupid to have answered the call of our Country and now it is time to pay for our stupidity. If only I had run to Canada and waited on the Pardon... That low paying Government job looks really good right now!
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck with VA homeless program and disappointed to learn you have to be a stoner or an alcoholic to get help there. As far as help with finding a job goes, your states dept of employment security is probably the best bet. I don't know of any program that offers a vet guaranteed placement. Dept of Labor offers some help with resume writing and disabled veterans are offered a 10 point preference for some government jobs. It's still up to the vet to find and qualify for the position, though. All Federal jobs are online via USAJobs. Login, get an account and use the online software "ResumeBuilder" to create a digital resume. There's even a special veterans link.

For homeless help, get on the phone and look for Catholic Charities or Lutheran Services in your city. They offer help with temp loging and finding work.