nightmares

Discussion in 'PTSD' started by misselmarine2013, Jan 4, 2013.

1. misselmarine2013

misselmarine2013 New Member

It always amazed me how in just a few years ones life can be impacted for ever. It was almost 8 years ago I was discharged from the marines. My question is ever since I got now I haven't slept well again. I feel like I have done everything I can and nothing helps. I remember right before I got out I met my now wife and I got married a month after getting discharged. I remember one night a dog barked and I went from dead asleep to on me feet in two seconds, scared the hell out of my wife. If it's not the restleness and waking up every 2 hours, its the damn nightmares. It never ends and I haven't slept well. How do other people get over this, or is this just something that never really goes away. My problem is I didn't want to talk about it I got out and just tried to pick up with my life, aside from my wife I keep most of it to myself, which was problably a mistake. anyways thanks for any input.
  2. John P. Bray

John P. Bray New Member

The Vietnam war was long ago and yet I still have nightmares. Sometimes direct and sometimes symbolic. An example of direct would be a dream about bullets barely missing me and all around to where you end up on the floor of your bedroom horrified. Symbolic might be body parts wrapped in olive drab cloth that forgive you for surviving. I don't know that anything can help. You have probably already contacted your VFW about a PTSD claim. If not then do so because you do, for sure, suffer from it. For years I tried alcohol, sleep aids, etc. Illegal drugs don't help so don't go there. They make things worse. You may think it is sort of weird but one thing that really helped me to some extent is to yell out as loud and as long as I can in, say, my car. When no one can see what goofy thing you are doing. It gets it out for a spell. Temporary but useful. Group therapy can be useful.............IF you get into a good group (all it takes is one jerk to mess it up). I hope you do better or at least find ways to cope. Good luck to you and as they say......thank you for your service. Semper Fideles. USMC grunts