No Understanding at All

Discussion in 'PTSD' started by RiverRat, Jan 21, 2008.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

No understanding at all
  2. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I don't know that I have a solution for you but the problem isn't necessarily the VA. It's the doctors. Each practitioner brings to the table different skills and experiences. They all apply different solutions. The VA doesn't dictate a standard solution because there isn't one. The solution can change with time as well.

The best you can do as a patient is to show the doctors their solution isn't working and suggest what did work. If they don't meet your needs, see the patient advocate. If that doesn't work, request new doctors till you get one you can work with.

Understand, that may never happen and it isn't exclusive to the VA. I've changed private doctors a number of times when they no longer meet my needs. Thats the way it goes sometimes, even when you pay good money for the service.
  3. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

TCM,
    I don`t know if you are PTSD or not. BUT..patience is something us PTSDer`s don`t have much of. More so when some quack doctor takes our anxiety meds away.

In re; "The best you can do as a patient is to show the doctors their solution isn't working and suggest what did work. If they don't meet your needs, see the patient advocate. If that doesn't work, request new doctors till you get one you can work with."

Been there, done that. My med history is in front of their eyes. I have been fighting these idiots for 26 months. Hell, it was easier fighting "charlie". As I stated I have asked for another doc....same story, different doc. I have been to two patient advocates. They tell me it is the Head/ Chief that made this decision when he took over the clinic in `03.

Guess I`m flogging a dead horse. Looks as if I have to take my comp money and go to the private sector and find a real doctor. Some reward for serving my country.
    Sincerely,
    RiverRat
  4. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

No, fortunately I'm not but, one doesn't have to have a condition of any kind to understand how it affects people. Perhaps I can't empathise with it but I do understand.

I understand that. I've just been assigned a new PCP and we don't exactly see things eye to eye. I had good treatment for 5 years, now I don't. He's one of two physicians at a small clinic. There's no possibility of getting another doc. I'm taking my business down the street. That's just the way it goes. It happens that way in private practice as well.

FWIW, the VHA is socialized medicine. Private systems such as Group Health have similar problems where administrators and beancounters make arbitrary decisions based on economics. Private insurance does the same thing. They often refuse treatment based on an economic decision. When you and I become independently wealthy, we can pay for the service we want. Until then, we're dependent on others.
  5. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

TinCanMan,

Thanks for your time. This morning I did what I should have done long ago. I called a local doctor and have an appointment Friday. This doctor was a psychitrist with the VA for 18 years before going private and was reffered by my therapist at the VA. Just the fact that the doctor took me in so soon was a comfort.

One more thing...Yes I agree "the VA is socialized medicine". And with that in mind it is very scary that certian people running for president are telling us we need socialized medicine. They really think we are that stupid...or that hard up. Next they (politicians) will be telling us we need an extra exit hole just to expell the bullsh*t they continue to pump at us.

Ok..that last paragraph was ramble...but very true.

Sincerely,
    RR
  6. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

That's exactly what I had in mind when I wrote that. I decided to forgo my rant as I didn't care to engage in politics.
  7. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

I just want to close this in case someone else wonders about taking the road to the private sector.

I had my appointment Friday. All went well. The private doc put me back on the meds the VA doc took me off of 26 months ago. Three days have passed and the sky is getting blue and the grass is green again ,things are getting back to normal , or as normal as possible for someone with PTSD. This (private)doc was a doctor at that very VA PCT clinic but left when the present Chief of staff took over (`03) and started his "own " standards of treatment . The private doc must be good he has built quite a business in the 4 years . 85 % of his patiences are vets. When I told him of the ordeal that took place over the anxiety med he simpily stated " any doctor that would withhold a medication, or any treatment,from a person that would improve that persons condition and/or quality of life without causing new conditions or problems is not much of a doctor at all." I wrote down his exact words ....And this doctor has a good reputation among the doctors that worked with him while he was at that VA. One of those doctors at that VA was the person who told me I should try this doctor.

One word of caution I did get from the doctor.....If I tell my psychiatrist at the VA of my actions or if I test positive for this med then it will most likely cause problems. But that won`t be a problem in my case because I`m ditching the VA mental health clinic and going with the doc who cares more about my quality of life than some doc that cares more about his stupid rule.

Some off you may say I took the chicken shit way out on this one.That I should have fought for what I felt was right. I don`t really care what people say. At least I can get my life back on track and get productive again instead of hiding from the world. Thanks ,TCM ,for your replies and thanks to both of you that cared enough to pm and help with this....Problem fixed.
  8. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Each of us plays the cards (resources) we are dealt. Some have skills, some have money, some have family or connections. Whatever they might be, we play them. You have a private medical plan. No excuses necessary. Just pleased you found a solution that works for you.

I'm working on the same thing. I'm going to try juggling both VA and the ptivate doc. VA offers a lot of advantage, free glasses, hearing aids and durable medical equipment. My APAP is a prime example. $800 worth and free. We'll see what happens.
  9. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

River Rat, I'm glad you got the meds you need.I can't see where it's a chicken shit way out.You are wise enough to know what you need,it worked for you!!!! I hope the world continues to look beautiful for you.Right now here in Iowa I'm not seeing green grass or blue skies.Although about 98% of our snow did melt yesterday just in time for more today.Get to feeling better.
  10. SFCWPDirect

SFCWPDirect New Member

River I have had the same experience and going to a civilian Dr produced no results, My solution now involves mail order prescriptions from a foreign country for the meds I need. I have just told the VA Dr that all the meds he has prescribed cause side effects that are intolerable to me and my family and if he cannot or will not prescribe what works I will simply do without and he can expect to see me alot more often in meltdowns and crisis... So far he has not budged from his stance but this is a new issue for me...
  11. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

I don't see that as a wise decision. You have no idea who made them, What's in them. Who's overheated garage they were stored in or how many times they've been repackaged. When you purchase medicine in U.S. facilities, the FDA guarantee's certain standards. But what the hey, if you already know more than the doctors do, go for it.
  12. SFCWPDirect

SFCWPDirect New Member

I agree Tin that a foreign Pharmacy is not the best choice in the world but I have researched and found there are some that offer US made, FDA approved medications that are clearly marked in english as a US made exported drug. I would never order a critical drug prescription in this manner and I would never recommend that anyone blindly use this as a solution to thier problem... I guess I should have been a bit more specific in my post to ensure everyone understands that caution is a huge part of my unusual solution to a problem that I have been unable to overcome in any other manner so far. As far as knowing more than the doctors, They initially provided something that worked and then a new Doctor changed it because he didn't agree with old Dr and now I can't get changed back and am suffering as the result...
  13. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

...and someone bent on separating you from your dollars would never consider repackaging in what ever form they thought necessary.

China has recently emerged as the worlds chemical supplier. That includes meds. They have absolutely no control over content. You trust them right?

I have enough trouble trusting the US businessman much less some chink in a dirt floor shack in China stirring up a batch of whatever in his chamberpot while his brother in law prints up labels to order.
  14. SFCWPDirect

SFCWPDirect New Member

Since I did not come here to debate with anyone and it seems whatever is said is going to meet with a response such as the last two I agreed in my second post it is NOT the BEST course of action to take, but it is one available that works...I will not respond any further to this thread.
  15. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Gee, that's interesting. You make a post in a public forum, offering up what appears to be advocacy for buying drugs from a source considered by the U.S. government to be illegal and then you are put out because someone else has a different opinion.

You then go on to say; "it is NOT the BEST course of action to take, but it is one available that works... ". Is that supposed to make it OK? I didn't think so and told you that. If you don't want others to comment, start a blog somewhere where others are precluded from offering another opinion that disagrees with yours.
  16. SFCWPDirect

SFCWPDirect New Member

I am not put out by your opinion, I am offended by the attitude you display in expressing it. I came back and agreed that anyone considering this needed to be well informed in making the choice after reading your valid response about safety. Still others may find this to be a possible solution they may want to explore which is why I posted it.... I have made an informed decision based on many hours of research and it is acceptable to me until I find a better solution. As for the Government, I am not alone in violating this law there are plenty of others and if I am caught and made to answer for my actions I will in the same manner I have here. It Was My choice...

Whip me all you want but as I said before I am not here to debate any issue I am here to build knowledge, exchange ideas and information and possibly make a few friends along the way. from the hostility of your posts to me I would guess that I have failed with my last goal of my being here (making friends). So I will just move on to another topic with someone else.
  17. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

This isn't only about making an informed decision, it is also illegal. Do you also justify knocking over a bank or two because you want some money?
  18. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Yeah, right. Only the Naturopathy loons get it right. Traditional medicine just doesn't understand.

Let me tell you, I don't have to think twice about passing judgement for anything, least of all what is/isn't legal and I can guarantee you, not being afflicted with PTSD makes me eminently more qualified to decide what is or isn't legal.

Oh, baloney! I make judgement calls every day. I don't make any judgement of your condition but I don't have to have PTSD to understand advocating someone self medicate using drugs purchased from non-FDA approved sources is simply a stupid idea and leaves you open to all manner of contaminated chemicals. This isn't about PTSD, it is about poor decisions. I'm not a doctor and neither are you. Neither of us are qualified to decide what medications to take.
  19. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Right, you aren't a doctor and aren't qualified to recommend medications. Anyone recommending use of non-FDA authorized meds is breaking the law. Are you a scofflaw?
  20. Vike17

Vike17 Member

TDurden1937,

The bottom line is breaking the law is not acceptable! If one has an issue with medication and they feel they aren't being treated correctly by their doctor, then it's time to find another one that satifies the patient!

And I would like to suggest another thing, loose the profanity. This is an open forum which can be read by anyone. You can certainly argue a point in an open forum without using such language. It appears you're an educated man. You should be able to do so, right. Oh, and like I said in another thread, don't go using the "PTSD" excuse either!

Vike 17