Obtaining Unit Records: Army

Discussion in 'United States Army' started by rainvet, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. rainvet

    rainvet New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Obtaining Unit Records: Army

    U.S. Army Personnel Rosters and Morning Reports are available from:
    the National Personnel Records Center,
    9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO.
    63132, 314-538-4261.

    The request must be made in writing. State that the request is a Freedom of Information ActRequest and give complete unit information (as specific as possible including company and platoon), and month and year of the roster/reports that you are requesting. Because the quality
    of the records can be poor, it is advisable to ask for rosters a few months before and after the actual month you are looking for.

    There are usually no fees charged for "Freedom of Information Act Requests."
    Turnaround time can be very slow. Plan on several months.

    Operations Reports/Lessons Learned (ORLL) and other primary source material about Army units in Vietnam such as radio logs, unit journals, and after action reports, are stored at the
    Textual Reference Branch, National Archives II, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, 301-713-7250, fax 301-713-7482.

    Call and ask to speak with an Archivist specializing in the Vietnam War before going to the Archives. They can assist in determining whether materials you are interested in are available
    and explain how to obtain a researcher's card to examine the documents.

    Similar reference assistance may also be obtained from:
    the U.S. Army Center for Military History,
    1099 14th Street, NW,
    Washington, DC 20005, 202-761-5413,

    and the U.S. Army Military History Institute,
    Bldg. 22, Upton Hall, Carlisle Barracks,
    Carlisle, PA 17013-5008,
    717-245-3611, fax 717-245-3711.
    Obtaining Military Records: Army
    Complete military and medical records, including DD-214s, can be obtained by veterans or
    their next of kin, if the veteran has died. Non relatives may also request this information,
    but what they will receive will be limited and will not include date of birth, official photo,
    records of court martial for active duty personnel, medical information, social security number,
    or present address. State that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act.

    Requests for military records must be made on a government form, SF 180. This form is available on the Internet at


    Scroll to the bottom of the page, as the
    SF 180: Request Pertaining to Military Records is the last one listed. You may also call 314-538-4261 and leave a message to have a form sent to you.

    You cannot request an entire file, each document must be named and only those named specifically will be provided. Names of documents include unit orders, awards and
    commendations, efficiency reports and ratings, promotion orders, records of court martial or
    other disciplinary actions, assignment and reassignment orders, photographs, qualification
    records, and report of separation(DD-214).

    When requesting medical records a statement should be included that they are needed by a
    current physician. If information is being requested regarding a specific injury or illness, that
    should be specified. If records regarding hospitalizations are needed, provide the dates that the hospitalization occurred and the name of the hospital.

    Send the SF 180 to the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Expect a significant waiting period before receiving the information.
    Requests citing VA claims and medical emergencies receive priority.

    Obtaining and Replacing Medals: Army
    Form DD-214 and/or the awards and commendations document from the veteran's military records will list awards, commendations, and accompanying medals earned. Medals can be replaced by sending a copy of these documents and an accompanying request to:
    Commander, U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center, ATTN: DARP-PAS-EAW,
    9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5200.

    The Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA) is now accepting online applications for the Board for Correction of Military Records and for the Discharge Review Board.

    Filing an electronic application will expedite requests for changes to military records.

    The web-based application allows applying via an electronic DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records, and DD Form 293, Application for Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States. Applicants can check the status of their requests using the Internet. Access the web site at ACTSONLINE.ARMY.MIL. The program guides applicants through the application process and provides additional help that is unavailable on the printed form.

    Army Board for Correction of Military Records
    [application procedures : ABCMR]

    Army Discharge Review Board
    [application procedures : ADRB ]

    Army Grade Determination Review Board
    [application procedures : AGDRB ]

    You are visitor number 250449 to this site.

    Please send any suggestions or comments about this site to ARBAWEB
    NOTICE: ARBAWEB can only address questions about the function of this website.

    WARNING!!! UNCLASSIFIED, NON-SENSITIVE, NON-PRIVACY ACT USE ONLY This is a Department of Defense (DoD) interest computer system. This system is monitored to ensure proper operation to verify the functioning of applicable security features and for other like purposes. Anyone using this system or any other DoD computer system expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that if such monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal activity, system personnel may provide the evidence of such monitoring to law enforcement officials. Unauthorized attempts to upload or change information; to defeat or circumvent security features, or to utilize this system for other than its intended purposes are prohibited.


    1. Introduction

    2. Veterans' Preference in Appointments

    Why Preference is Given
    When Preference Applies
    Types of Preference
    Adjudication of Veterans' Preference
    Crediting Experience of Preference Eligibles
    Physical Qualifications
    Preference in Competitive Examinations
    Filling a Position Through the Competitive Examining Process
    Disqualifications of Preference Eligibles
    Disqualification of 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans
    Filing Late Applications
    Temporary Appointment Outside of Competitive Registers
    Excepted Service Employment
    Administration and Enforcement of Veterans' Preference
    3. Veterans' Preference in Reduction in Force
    Eligibility for Veterans' Preference in RIF
    RIF Retention Standing
    Assignment Rights (Bump and Retreat)
    Appeal of RIF Actions
    Reemployment Priority for Separated Employees
    4. Miscellaneous Provisions Pertaining to Veterans
    Jobs Restricted to Preference Eligibles
    180-Day Restriction on DOD Employment of Military Retirees
    Reduction of Military Retired Pay
    Affirmative Action for Certain Veterans Under Title 38
    5. Service Credit
    Service Credit for Leave Rate Accrual and Retirement
    6. Special Appointing Authorities for Veterans
    Veterans' Recruitment Appointments (VRA) (formerly Veterans Readjustment Appointments)
    30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans
    Disabled Veterans Enrolled in a VA Training Program
    Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998
    7. Restoration after Uniformed Service
    Basic Entitlement
    Advising Employees/Resolving Employment Conflicts
    Time Limits
    Positions to Which Restored
    Service Credit
    OPM Placement
    Paid Military Leave
    Life and Health Insurance
    Thrift Savings
    8. Special Redress and Appeals
    Adverse Actions
    Reduction in Force
    Restoration After Uniformed Service
    Other Actions
    9. Appendices
    A. Wars, Campaigns, and Expeditions of the Armed Forces Since WW II which Qualify for Veterans' Preference
    B. Uniformed Service Qualifying for Veterans' Preference Purposes
    C. Officer Personnel by Pay Grades and Titles
    D. History of Veterans' Preference
    1. Introduction
    VetGuide explains the special rights and privileges that veterans enjoy in Federal civil service employment. The guide conveniently summarizes in one place material from many laws and regulations that affect the employment of veterans. The guide will help Federal personnel specialists ensure that veterans receive the advantages they have earned.

    The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) administers entitlement to veterans' preference in employment under title 5, United States Code, and oversees other statutory employment requirements in titles 5 and 38. (Title 38 also governs Veterans' entitlement to benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).)

    Both title 5 and title 38 use many of the same terms, but in different ways. For example, service during a "war" is used to determine entitlement to Veterans' preference and service credit under title 5. OPM has always interpreted this to mean a war declared by Congress. But title 38 defines "period of war" to include many non-declared wars, including Korea, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf. Such conflicts entitle a veteran to VA benefits under title 38, but not necessarily to preference or service credit under title 5. Thus it is critically important to use the correct definitions in determining eligibility for specific rights and benefits in employment.

    For additional information, including the complete text of the laws and regulations on Veterans' rights, consult the references cited.

    2. Veterans' Preference in Appointments

    Why Preference is Given

    Since the time of the Civil War, veterans of the Armed Forces have been given some degree of preference in appointments to Federal jobs. Recognizing their sacrifice, Congress enacted laws to prevent veterans seeking Federal employment from being penalized for their time in military service. Veterans' preference recognizes the economic loss suffered by citizens who have served their country in uniform, restores veterans to a favorable competitive position for Government employment, and acknowledges the larger obligation owed to disabled veterans.

    Veterans' preference in its present form comes from the Veterans' Preference Act of 1944, as amended, and is now codified in various provisions of title 5, United States Code. By law, veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over others in hiring from competitive lists of eligibles and also in retention during reductions in force.

    In addition to receiving preference in competitive appointments, veterans may be considered for special noncompetitive appointments for which only they are eligible. See Chapter 4.

    When Preference Applies

    Preference in hiring applies to permanent and temporary positions in the competitive and excepted services of the executive branch. Preference does not apply to positions in the Senior Executive Service or to executive branch positions for which Senate confirmation is required. The legislative and judicial branches of the Federal Government also are exempt from the Veterans' Preference Act unless the positions are in the competitive service (Government Printing Office, for example) or have been made subject to the Act by another law.

    Preference applies in hiring from civil service examinations conducted by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and agencies under delegated examining authority, for most excepted service jobs including Veterans Recreuitment Appointments (VRA), and when agencies make temporary, term, and overseas limited appointments. Veterans' preference does not apply to promotion, reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer or reinstatement.

    Veterans' preference does not require an agency to use any particular appointment process. Agencies have broad authority under law to hire from any appropriate source of eligibles including special appointing authorities. An agency may consider candidates already in the civil service from an agency-developed merit promotion list or it may reassign a current employee, transfer an employee from another agency, or reinstate a former Federal employee. In addition, agencies are required to give priority to displaced employees before using civil service examinations and similar hiring methods.

    Civil service examination: Title 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3304-3330, title 5 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 332, OPM Delegation Agreements with individual agencies, OPM Examining Handbook, OPM Delegated Examining Operations Handbook; Excepted service appointments, including VRA's: 5 U.S.C. 3320; 5 CFR Part 302; Temporary and term employment: 5 CFR Parts 316 and 333; Overseas limited employment: 5 CFR Part 301; Career Transition Program: 5 CFR Part 330, Subparts F and G.

    Types of Preference

    To receive preference, a veteran must have been separated from active duty in the Armed Forces with an honorable or general discharge. As defined in 5 U.S.C. 2101(2), "Armed Forces" means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. The veteran must also be eligible under one of the preference categories below (also shown on the Standard Form (SF) 50, Notification of Personnel Action).

    Military retirees at the rank of major, lieutenant commander, or higher are not eligible for preference in appointment unless they are disabled veterans. (This does not apply to Reservists who will not begin drawing military retired pay until age 60.)

    Active duty for training or inactive duty by National Guard or Reserve soldiers does not qualify as "active duty" for preference.

    For purposes of this chapter and 5 U.S.C. 2108, "war" means only those armed conflicts declared by Congress as war and includes World War II, which covers the period from December 7, 1941, to April 28, 1952.

    When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on their application or resume. Applicants claiming 10-point preference must complete Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, and submit the requested documentation.
  2. lacyben

    lacyben New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Note: National Archives # is 866-272-6272 in College Park Md
  3. 1s1j5z4

    1s1j5z4 New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I asked for my records from the National Archives in St. Louis and received a letter saying they were destroyed by fire so the VA regional office in Phoenix claim they have no service records for my claims---therefore DENIED.
    Gae Phinney likes this.
  4. TinCanMan

    TinCanMan Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
  5. 1s1j5z4

    1s1j5z4 New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Army Records

    I was discharged honorably in 1952 as a combat medic with three battle stars (Heartbreak Ridge, Sandbag Castle and Punchbowl) and my last name begins with the letter Z.
  6. zeelarry

    zeelarry New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Medical Records are scattered

    First off, just wanted to say hello all & thanks for all the great input on this forum. I can easily get lost for hours reading things. Okay, enough of this.
    When I was looking for my medical records in 2006 at St. Louis [I retired in 1998, Army] they sent me my medical records up to 1995 only. From 1995-1998, I had to use the Medical clinic at the local Air Force Base, no Army medical facilities within 50+ miles. After retirement, I continued to use the Air Base's clinic for four[4] years afterwards. So my medical records for the time frame of 1995-2002 we not archieved in St Louis with my Army Medical files. VA, through their rep in St. Louis, couldn't even find these missing years. I went to the airbase to see if they still had these records and I was told that they had been to St. Louis and when I talked them through the problem, they gave the address that my records were mailed to, in St. Louis. Low & behold, the Army & the Air Force do not maintain the same adress or filinf location in St Louis. AND GUESS WHAT- they do not share the same database, so they CANNOT cross reference names or SSN. Bottomline, I was able to obtain my medical records for my 1995-1998 active duty years [Army] from the Air Force center in St. Louis. Without these records, my VA Calim would have died, as these were the critical years for needed for my proof. So if anyone has used the Medical Facilities from another DoD Agency, and if those treatments were not in the records you received from St. Louis. look to obtain those records from that other agency. You can go to the Records Archieves website and find the addresses, phone numbers, and emails of the other agencies. I used the email to track down my records

    BTW, I am now going on 2 years on my initial claim. I finally got my C&P exam in April 2008 and obtained a copy of the written C&P report from the VA Hospital's main records office, not the VA. The C&P doc gave me 1/2 of what I was wanting, agreeing with Dr. Bash [well worth his cost] on the 'ole heart', which will give me a 100%. The other 1/2, that I'll have to request a reevaluation on, when I finally receive VA's notification [hopefully, before I die] for the gallstones/galbladder>diabetic.

    PS- DAV, Little Rock, AR has been helping me with everything since my first denial. They have been great, but I have to keep in touch with them. I simply believe that they are over extended with helping veterans, due to Little Rock VA Claim denial history.
  7. TinCanMan

    TinCanMan Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Well, If you were Army discharged before 1960 it is certainly possible they were destroyed. What were destroyed were your Personnel Record and your Service Medical Record. Unfortunately, without evidence, your claim will fail. If your claim relates to a condition that was treated in a Medical Facility rather than treatment by your unit, clinical records may exist for that hospital. They are stored separately from personal records. You have to ask for them by Hospital/Facility name, date, and your name/SN.

    If you provide some details of the claim and what evidence is necessary, perhaps someone might be able to point to other locations where records might be stored.

Share This Page