Please help me with my paper!

Discussion in 'PTSD' started by Coral2, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Coral2

Coral2 New Member

I am a college student studying psychology, I have to write a paper on PTSD, depression, anxiety and counseling within military personal. If you could answer these five questions I would greatly appreciate it!
    1. First name
    2. branch of the military you are/were in
    3. Have you been diagnosed with PTSD, depression, or anxiety due to the military?
    4. Have you ever been to a mental health counselor?
    5. Do you think the older generation or the younger generation seek counseling more often for mental health problems related to the military? Why?

If you are comfortable sharing more about your service or your diagnosis I would love to hear it!
    Thanks for responding and thank you for your service.
    Buck1130 likes this.
  2. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

k4ibz.bill @gmail.com Member

3. k4ibz.bill @gmail.com

k4ibz.bill @gmail.com Member

My name is Bill, I was active duty USAF I suffered depression and anxiety while on active duty and was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression in 1974. I was a patient in military mental health facilities. for about 4 months and was released , however my anxiety / depression was never treated properly. I had plenty of military documents to prove that I was not cured . I never lost my security clearance and was placed right back into mobile combat communications. I was also placed back into a Control Air Force Specialty Code that had nothing to do with Mobile Combat Communications. In addition I was assigned a SPECIAL EXPERIENCE IDENTIFIER of S. E. I.-999. I have no idea what my special skills were but I received Military Training on a piece of electronic equipment used to control military aircraft. This course was 2 weeks long and was required to be completed prior to my arrival at my new duty station in Germany. I will not mention the name of this equipment because it may have been classified information at that time.

I had to know how to operate , maintain and install this highly specialized electronic gear. After the training was completed I could not tell you who the instructor was, or how many students were in the class. I don't remember seeing the actual equipment. There were no text books and no technical manuals concerning this equipment.There was only a mock-up of this equipment. To make a long story short , when I arrived in Germany and got settled into my new base. I found out I was the only person in my shop that was trained on this equipment. I dreaded the day I would be called to the Aircraft Control Tower. That day came and I met with the Flight Safety Officer in the cab of the tower. He took me to the base of the control tower and into a mechanical room and showed me a four foot floor mounted equipment rack and said, " are you ready to install this equipment ? " I looked at him and I said , " Sir with all due respect I can't tell you a damn thing about this equipment other than that it is state of the art solid state electronics , used to control aircraft , and where it was manufactured. That Officer looked at me and said , never mind we will get Radio Maintenance to work on it. I left puzzled but relieved that I didn't have to work on that piece of electronic equipment . Two weeks later I was told that they were calling a Medical Board to discharge me from service. The day came to report to the board
    and I met with a High Ranking Officer and I said , " I'm ready to meet the board Sir. " He looked at me and said, that was cancelled , your too valuable of an asset and we have too much money invested in you to discharge you. I have told this story to VA Doctors and they all said that didn't happen and your hospital stays in military Mental Health Facilities was not service connected. I have talked to the VA Shrinks for three years now and they all say I'm delusional. Good luck with your paper but you will find many such stories and it seems that the VA is doing very little to help Vietnam Veterans like my self. They constantly deny us of compensation. I will tell you this much my anxiety and depression is still with me and has never left and has been with 68 years of my life. I'm am thankful for anti-depressant medication that works to keep me under control.
    Coral2 likes this.
  4. Buck1130

Buck1130 New Member

Hello,
    1. Buck
    2. USMC
    3. Yes, diagnosed with PTSD
    4. no
    5. I think that the younger generation seek counseling more often for mental health problems related to the military for several reasons. First, there are a lot more options available to the current day veteran than there was in the past. We have more resources at our disposal. I also think that younger veterans have more resources to educate themselves on all of the options available to help treat PTSD. So, overall I think the younger generation probably seeks more counseling; however, there are far better options to help with PTSD than just standard counseling and prescription drugs. Martial Arts like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sensory Deprivation tanks, Ayahuasca, and psilocybin treatments can be very affective. Yet, simply changing ones diet and basic lifestyle choices can have a significant positive effect on someone too, in my opinion/experience.