Please Join Me in Sending a Letter or Card to one of Our Brothers

Discussion in 'Help Active Duty Now' started by knewheart, Nov 27, 2007.

1. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

UPDATE: LT Robert Larkins safely completed his 2nd tour of duty in Iraq. Thank you for your cards and letters. NurseFlo reported that Bob was exptremely honored to receive your kind words of encouragement.
    knewheart

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To all members of Veterans Resources, and all visitors to this wonderful site. Please join me during this holiday season in sending a card or short letter of support to one of our brothers, Lt Robert Larkins. Better known perhaps as Bobby to our members - he is the son of Gloria Larkins whom we know as Nurseflo. Bob is currently serving on his second tour of duty in Iraq. His address is:

Lt Robert Larkins 833rd En Co APO AE 09391

Along with a letter or card, please remember him in your prayers that he stay safe and come home healthy to his loving family. Please tell Bobby that we wholeheartedly support him, his friends, his unit and all of our soldiers who are serving in harms way, and that we are very proud to call him our brother. He has earned that distinction with his selfless service to our great country.

God bless you all. I wish every one of you a very merry and happy Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year with your family and loved ones.

knewheart
  2. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Thanks Tom, I know he'd enjoy hearing from any or all of you.He might not get around to thanking you properly.So the same person who did over half of his graduation thank yous will thank you in advance. Gloria
  3. Bertf

Bertf New Member

Would he like a pile of cards to distribute to his men? I picked up 7 cases of donated goodies from the local elementary school to send to Iraq today. The teacher said that they were preparing cards to send to "any soldier" at Walter Reed. I told them that the hospital is no longer accepting cards without a specific addressee. If they go ahead with their project, I might have 20-30 cards to send to someone in Iraq.
  4. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Nurseflo - your call.
  5. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

BERTF, I'm sure he would!!!Thanks in advance.I'm just about finished with 122 cards I'm sending.I'm putting them in manilla envelopes with Bobby's name.I've written a small note in each.My daughter(the youngest one) said sh'e pick up more cards for me as long as I assured her I wasn't signing them Bobby's mom.That did cross my mind,but as we found out last week they might not have a clue of who Bobby is.They call him Sir, Robert or Rob.He made a mistake by not naming his son Robert.If he had done that he'd have graduated to Bob or Rob at home.His dad was Bobby till he was born.Oh well too much information. I do think he'd enjoy passing out cards to some of the guys that don't get as much mail as the others.Did anyone ever tell you guys you're great?Well you are! Once again I thank you for your heroic service to our Country.Each of you are heroes in my eyes.
  6. Bertf

Bertf New Member

OK. I will put the address aside and if the school calls me get the cards sent to him. In my day he would have been "Lou" or "L.T."
  7. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

My memory is really short and I can't remember if I told this story.Last week one of kids' friends was working at the grocery store. A young man in his camy's asked her to help him find the garlic.He asked her if she knew Bobby Larkins.She thought he meant Robert Larson who works the night shift.The guy told her he was his platoon leader and Marcie got all excited " oh,you mean Bobby!!!" the kid looked at her and said " umm I call him Sir".My oldest daughter missed meeting this kid by a few minutes. Small world we live in.I got an e-mail from Knewheart about an amazing rock.He had a friend in Bolivia that sent it to him.He said he thought it looked like a rock I'd sent to him.It was with different pictures.I call it the Patriotic Rock.The painter changes the pictures every year about Memorial day.Any way,thanks.I talk to much. I'll share with Bobby that he could be called a Lou or a L T.Gloria
  8. Bertf

Bertf New Member

Bobby Larkin?

This is not the same guy but it is funny how one story triggers another. I knew a Bobby Larkin years ago. He was a little bit on the crazy side, like when he went out for a few celebratory drinks in N.Y. when his wife was having their first baby and woke up to find himself in Chicago. That was my Bobby.

We went to a hockey game one time and I left him, only to run into him 20 minutes later in a diner. I sat down and started discussing the game with him while he had this puzzled look on his face. He finely says to me, "Do you think I am my twin brother Bobby?" Yep, in a 1 in 1 million chance I had sat down next to his twin brother in a diner and never noticed it.
  9. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Wow,That's funny!!! You see things like this in the movies.
  10. Bertf

Bertf New Member

I just picked up about 40-50 hand-made Christmas cards by the elementary school kids at Reinhart School on Long Island NY. They will surely get over there too late, but I will put them in the mail tomorrow morning.

Herb
  11. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

BOBBY IS HOME! I just got the word tonight in an email from Gloria/Nurseflo. I don't know if it is just for Christmas, or whether his tour was cut short. We will have to wait for Nurseflo to fill in the details.

Welcome home Bob, super job! We are proud of you.
  12. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Bobby is home till a couple of days after Christmas.We don't know when we'll see him but I'm hoping for at least a couple of visits.I'm just glad he's on American soil for awhile.I always say on American soil and safe.He is very insistent that he could get hurt at home just as easily as in Iraq.DUH!!! Something happen here but I'm not stupid enough his whole story.What does do my heart good is that he says if anything happens to him he will be in a much better place and that he wants to walk with God and ask him lots of questions about the last 2000 years.I so thank all of you for sending cards and prayers.Take care, Gloria
  13. Bertf

Bertf New Member

Well, there are about 50 cards on the way to Bobby in Iraq. Have him send a note to his unit that if they should arrived in a box addressed to him that says "cards, distribute to troops," they should feel free to bust open the box and hand them out.
  14. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

They'll love getting the cards weather late or not.I'll have him get in touch with his Captain.Thanks so much.
  15. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

I got to spend about 12 hours with Bobby yesterday!!! He went to school,Where my oldest daughter,Stormy, is a teacher.Three of my grandkids attend school there also,Kane and Lanie are prek and Adam is preschool.They had lots of questions ans sang the Green and Speckled Frog song to him.Then he went into Stormy's 4th and 5th grade class room.The kids had all kinds of questions.Bobby did a goo job of speaking and answering questions.I'm an overly proud mom!!! The only question that caught him up was " How does it feel to hit a tree with a motorcycle in the middle of a dessert.He looked at his sister with a shit eating grin and said it was fine and I didn't get hurt.Those students are very complementary.They thought Bobby was my husband and even though they know lots about him and Stormy introduced him as her brother one of them asked if he was her dad!!!! She got quite a kick out of that one.She's three years older than him. Then we came back to Perry where we live and where my youngest daughter works as a teachers aide. He saw his kindergarten teacher.She told him she rates the onriest kids in her class as Bobby as her norm. She said at least you were funny!!!! I remember her saying in conferences that she'd have to bite the inside of her cheeks while getting after him so she wouldn't start laughing. He talked to a group of 1st graders that have been writing to a soldier that's a friend of the teacher.Then we got him to ourselves for a while.He and the kids were(and his wife) going to come tomorrow, but there are blizzard conditions in the forecast.They are already recommending NO travel.So I think we'll all be together Christmas eve.
  16. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

I hope it snows out your way on Christmas Eve - to make it a perfect holiday for your family.
  17. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Hi,Bobby said that he got some mail from guys he didn't know.He thanks you for that.Knewheart he said he got a card from you.Thanks to anyone who did send cards.
  18. nurseflo

nurseflo Member

Just want to let everyone know that Robert Paul Larkins touched American soil Last Friday.He is now at Ft McCoy in Wisconsin.He'll be home in Iowa Saturday for a welcome home ceremony.Thank you all for your wonderful support and for being the heroes that you all/each are.Gloria
  19. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

Good to know he's safe at home once again. Tell him thanks for us.
  20. knewheart

knewheart Active Member

Best news I have had all month! Welcome home, Bob