POWs still languish in Vietnamese secret camps

Discussion in 'POW/MIA' started by DonaldN, Jul 3, 2007.

1. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

I RECEIVED THIS YESTERDAY FROM A VIETNAM VETERAN FRIEND...
    DONALDN
    SEMPER FI!

http://www.reformer.com/ci_6257754?source=most_viewed

Letter Box
    Reformer.com
    Friday, June 29
    POWs still languish in Vietnamese secret camps
    Editor of the Reformer:
    As an adjunct to this weekend's Associated Press article by Foster Klug, "Vietnam's president acknowledges differences with U.S. on human rights," I'd like to point out that while it is certainly important to point out abuses levelled against Vietnamese political dissidents, there is a related matter which should be of far greater concern to Americans, just now gaining mainstream momentum, of which Mr. Klug's article makes no mention.

On the bestseller lists at present is a book by former North Carolina Republican Congressman Bill Hendon, and attorney Elizabeth A. Stewart titled, "An Enormous Crime: The Definitive Account of American POWs Abandoned in Southeast Asia."

This book chronicles in fineness the systematic failure and deliberate reticence of U.S. politicians, from the besieged and disgraced Nixon administration, in the wake of the Watergate scandal, to, more recently, Sens. John Kerry and John McCain (both Vietnam veterans; McCain himself a former POW), to address the uncontestable evidence brought forward to Washington insiders over the years, and now unequivocally presented in this book: to wit, that as many as perhaps 700 U.S. GIs and airmen remain to this day alive and in captivity in secret underground prisons in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Hendon and Stewart's book, utilizing reams of government documents and U.S. spy satellite photographs, compiles for the first time the chilling and inexcusable indifference U.S. government officials have displayed over the past 31/2 decades toward the plight of these American servicemen, solely in the name of political expedience.

The 1973 Paris Peace Accords contained an agreement that these men would be released upon payment of $4.75 billion by the U.S. to the Vietnamese government in the form of war reparations. Watergate derailed that process, and these POWs have languished in captivity ever since. It is time for the U.S. government to honor its commitments, and secure the release of these men.

I admonish all to not only read this incredible exposé (www.enormouscrime.com <http://www.enormouscrime.com>), but also to contact the White House switchboard at: 202-456-1414, or send e-mail to [email protected] <mailto:p[email protected]> and demand that George W. Bush press Vietnamese President Nguyen Minh Triet on this far-too-long ignored issue.

The average age of a U.S. soldier in Vietnam was 19. These men who are still alive have spent 35 to 40 years in captivity because of a conflict that ended decades ago.

The $4.75 billion figure in the Paris Peace Accords is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of billions already spent on the fruitless boondoggles in Iraq and Afghanistan. According to the authors of "An Enormous Crime," the Vietnamese are willing to uphold their end of the agreements, and are only awaiting U.S. cooperation.

While I hold no praise for the communist regime that governs Vietnam, it is nonetheless time for the U.S. government to abandon its heretofore disgraceful conduct, and do whatever it must to bring our Vietnam veterans home.

Alex R. Knight III
  2. DonaldN

DonaldN New Member

3. TinCanMan

TinCanMan Active Member

OFCS, another conspiracy theory along with Lincoln, Kennedy, USS Liberty, Flight 800, World Trade Center, The Pentagon, The Grays, Roswell, Area 51 and all the other silliness but, what the hey, it sells books.
  4. Vietvet1

Vietvet1 Member

Bill Hendon and Beth Stewart " Enormous Crime"

I only know what I know. I have known them both for many decades. I recommend the book and as I found..it may be Bill's swan song. He has worked the issue for many, many years and has done alot to press the issue. This book contains information he has compiled with references. It is probably the most complete compilation of the POW-MIA issue in SEA.

Conspiracy Theorist???? I think not. This man has been in the thick of things including being involved in that debacle called the Senate Select Committee on POW-MIA Affairs of the 90's, He was relieved from his committee duties by pressures from a present POTUS contender. I go to meetings in Washington DC with the National League and the National Alliance ( NAF is my choice of the 2). I have met with Bill as well as the movers and shakers of the Issue on Both sides. I have found Bill to be reliable and he proves, painstakingly, every point he makes. I have seen him go from an upright 6'4" to a bowed man on a cane who has been consistant throughout the decades. You mock the book..don't buy it... borrow it free and see. Read the history.

I would challenge anyone to go to those meetings every June and ask questions of the families. Ask what THEY think of him and some of the people they meet with. I am a backer of H Res 111( House Select Committee on POW-MIA Affairs). Both of my Congressmen co-signed for a total of 257. PA is at 100% 19/19 signed on. When they finally vote on it and the committee in place... I assure you Hendon will be, at the very least, a reference point. The Families have not forgotten and neither should we. The records should be opened and declassified like promised many years ago. Let the people see.

I only stuck my nose in this as I have been there, saw and talked with the players. We meet with the head/heads of the JCS, DPMO,CILHI,Stoneybeach, alphabet after alphabet. We ask questions and many times found them lying through their teeth and calling them on it.

IE..... a friend of mine attends the early meetings of the National League. They get the full royal treatment and are the first of the 2 groups to get to hear and talk to the Shakers. My partner writes notes very well and he notes who asked who and what. He then writes the reply. I attend a later National Alliance meeting and when the same official comes, I ask him or her the same question from my partners notes. This one time it was the "Great" Adrian Cronauer ( Good Morning Vietnam) who sold out for a made up job at DPMO. I asked him the same question and he gave a way different answer. When I mentioned his answer of a few hours before..he looked at his watch becoming nervous and announce he had to leave. As he scurried out the door, a man ( whom I believe should have been the Assistant Sec Def and head of DPMO instead of the "Yes Man" Charles Ray.) Norm Kass stayed behind to "clean" up Adrian's mess and he said he couldn't defend Adrian's actions and answers. That is but one.

I have another, with photos that I took, that involved Bill Hendon, Ted Sampley as well as Michael Blassie's ( Vietnam Unknown Soldier) sister Pat and our governments race to fill a tomb with a KNOWN set of remains. It is sickening to say the least. What else are they capable of???? To deny a family closure in a matter like that is criminal. How do I know this, I was there. So.... all I can say is, read the book and decide for yourself. Or maybe for those from Rio Linda..see if there is a Book on Tape for that print. (Again... stepping down from my Soap Box.)